PDA

View Full Version : PRS Johnny Hiland model

Ray K.
04-02-2007, 11:04 AM
Has anyone had a chance to play one of these? If so, how about a review.

I wasn't looking for a PRS, but saw the video on their site of Johnny demo'ing "his" guitar. I don't have any aspirations to be Johnny, but did like the variation of sounds/tones he was able to pull off. Seems like a very versatile guitar.

The short video is worth checking out: http://www.prsguitars.com/hiland/vid/hiland_demo.mov

Thanks,
Ray K.

lamborn55
04-06-2007, 12:55 PM
I've tried one and they're excellent. The neck is unlike any other PRS I've experienced or owned (which are many). Very smooth and sexy. I just wish they'd go back to the original neck joint - way sexier! I really don't hear any tonal improvement with the current "honkers".

Ray K.
04-08-2007, 05:17 AM
Thanks for the reply. Funny you should mention the neck. First, I agree about the neck joint. But, this is also the first guitar I've considered in a loooong time that had a maple fretboard. I've been playing Rosewood fretboards for so long.

GuitarNorton
04-08-2007, 08:59 PM
Impressive range of tones there. Not a big follower of PRS guitars, what has changed, what is different, in the old vs new neck joint.

Ray K.
04-09-2007, 08:27 AM
Same here. I've never owned a PRS. So, someone else should be able to give better information. But, if you look at the following link, there are a couple of pics of the neck joint from the backside. The body is carved away a good bit, I assume to allow for easier reach. The Hiland model is 24 frets. But that leaves a good chunk of neck heel showing. I don't know. Until I get a chance to play one, I'll reserve any more comments.

http://www.prsguitars.com/hiland/index.html

Ray K.

lamborn55
04-09-2007, 01:09 PM
Well, I don't mean to imply that this neck joint causes playability issues - it's perfectly easy to get up there. It just kind of mars the appearance of an otherwise sexy guitar! I'd still recommend it though. Also, unlike a popular brand (whose name starts with a "G"), they ship perfectly set up.

edwarddavis
04-10-2007, 02:30 PM
I had to stop the demo, guitar was great but I go to depressed watching how great this guy played. I guess thats why he has his own model, gotta go practice now .

Kevin
04-16-2007, 08:55 PM
I met Johnny last week at a clinic here in Memphis at Martin Music. He was a very nice guy and very kind to my wife and I. Earlier in the day I had purchased a JH model guitar and he autographed it and gave us a 8x10 autographed photo and autographed poster as well. He seemed very genuine and humble. More than willing to talk. He seemed like just another gear hound that you would meet in a guitar shop.

The guitar is great but is taking a little getting used to. The neck is awesome. I have had several PRS guitars and this one is so different from them. But it is a great guitar. Way more than I deserve.

Kevin gives it 2 thumbs up !

Ray K.
04-17-2007, 09:36 AM
Congratulations, Kevin!

The guitar is great but is taking a little getting used to. The neck is awesome. I have had several PRS guitars and this one is so different from them. But it is a great guitar. Way more than I deserve.
Please tell us more. Is it the controls and versatility that you are trying to get used to, or something else?

Thanks,
Ray K.

Mott
04-17-2007, 12:14 PM
I met Johnny last week at a clinic here in Memphis at Martin Music. He was a very nice guy and very kind to my wife and I. Earlier in the day I had purchased a JH model guitar and he autographed it and gave us a 8x10 autographed photo and autographed poster as well. He seemed very genuine and humble. More than willing to talk. He seemed like just another gear hound that you would meet in a guitar shop.

Kevin gives it 2 thumbs up !

I was going to pop into Eric's for the in-store and then go to his concert, but I was sick that day. Wish I had been able to make it.