PDA

View Full Version : Nut Shim

Jujo
03-24-2007, 04:23 PM
Hey Everybody,

The weather is changing here and I've been adjusting my neck today and I still have some buzz at the 1st and 2nd frets. To remove the buzz along the rest of the neck I had to raise the saddles pretty good. Now my action is higher than I'd like and I still have some buzz near the nut. The neck is pretty dang straight.

Is it time to shim the nut? Has anyone done this on a TAG before? Any pointers or advice? I know the general procedure, but should I have a pro do it instead?

Thanks

tom
03-24-2007, 04:37 PM
weather changes should only affect neck adjustment. i fear you have the neck too straight and have moved the saddles un necessarily. weather would not affect the relationship between nut and first 2 frets.

Jujo
03-25-2007, 12:24 AM
Tom-

I know what you mean. I tried putting a good deal more relief in the neck but it still had some buzz. Even the open 1st string buzzed, and there was a big bow in the neck. I just can't seem to get the balance right between the action and neck bow, without any buzz. When I put more relief in the neck it hardly affects the action on the first couple frets.

I've to adjust this guitar a few times over the past couple years and it's always been great. This winter had been exceptionally cold for several weeks and I also changed string brands (same gauge though).

Any suggestions?

bruce
03-25-2007, 03:45 AM
I've found dirt/debrit in the slots and had success when cleaned and removed.

If it's a Floyd Rose nut it might need to be replaced as I've seen some old ones that we just plain worn out and had a dull sound.... then once replaced sounded WAY brighter... this was an extreme situation but it was worn non-the-less.

But first, back to the height issue:

Can you see any gap between the string and 1st fret when you press down between the 2nd and 3rd? You should see the smallest gap, if not hear a little "ping" when you press at the first fret while holding at the 2-3rd.

Pietro
03-25-2007, 05:59 AM
I try and wait till spring is really here to do much adjusting. I don't want to do it that often. I pulled my Godin Nylon string out last week and the neck was WAY back-bowed (This is the one gutiar I don't play often, hasn't been out of its case since Fall). I gave it a little more relief, but I'm going to check it again.

This time of year is terrible to deal with this way, I'm ALWAYS keeping an eye on my guitars.

Jujo
03-25-2007, 12:10 PM
Well, I started over this morning and did the whole setup all over again. It is better. There's more bow in the neck than I had yesterday and it plays better. That open 1st string still buzzes a little though. In fact there's a little buzz all over the 1st string. The other strings are pretty good. Arrgghhh!

It is a Classic with Vintage Trem BTW.

tom
03-25-2007, 03:32 PM
if there's buzz on one string only or mostly, have you changed the string? i have seen brand new strings have akink in them making them buzz.

Stys
03-25-2007, 03:59 PM
I never considered a new string bad until I purchased a D'addario bulk pack - 25 sets in a box. I would say 1/4 of the B strings and high E strings caused issues. Since then, I've switched back to SIT's which are always consistent.

Jujo
03-25-2007, 04:42 PM
No way! Wow. Ok. I'll try that sometime soon. Thanks for the suggestion.