PDA

View Full Version : So Tom.....about those VA5's w/ booster thingy?

GASMAN
03-22-2007, 10:53 PM
I'm assuming we'll be seeing more of these as your production starts picking up again. Can you give us any more info yet?

GASMAN
03-27-2007, 12:17 PM
Ummm. OK.

Anyone else using these new pickups? Thoughts? Opinions?

Thanks.

irish blues
03-27-2007, 04:36 PM
Just picked a Classic with VA5's w booster thingy.......will let you know in a few days once I get home to try it out.

tom
03-27-2007, 04:40 PM
what can i say, they're more vintagy. sweeter highs without being harsh. the booster is now a secondary device, an offshoot of the kickback. it is a passive mid booster. i would not believe it's possible to boost without added power froma battery, but it magicly does. it simulates what the VA12 and 23 used to do but has a bit larger range.

GASMAN
03-27-2007, 06:02 PM
Sounds cool! Can't wait to try one.

Sorry if I have some catching up to do-------but I'm not really familiar with the "kickback" option either. What is that?

Last question-----can the new pickups and booster-thingy be installed as a replacement system in an Anderson Hollow T that currently has VA12's?

tom
03-27-2007, 06:12 PM
the kickback is a passive mid cut that tames the full middle of m's and full size humbuckers. it has turned my m1 h2 equipped atom special to a jack of all trades, master of most for me, and all positions are dead quiet to boot. we're still working on the final version to work with neck humbuckers and hoping to have it done soon so it will work as well on dual humbucker guitars.
yes you could put the va5's and booster in the place of va12's, but i'm not sure i would spend that kind of money unless i felt an extra bit would put me over the edge tonally.

GASMAN
03-27-2007, 09:53 PM
Interesting. Thanks for all the info, Tom.

I've got my eye on a used Hollow T, with two VA12's and a TV3 in the bridge. I'm sure it's very nice as is----so will probably wait for a VA5 equipped guitar to have those.

GASMAN
03-27-2007, 09:55 PM
Hey Irish Blues----------congrats on the new TA! I'll be watching for your thoughts on the VA5's.

irish blues
03-27-2007, 10:17 PM
Number 5 - first single/single/single. Thought I should have the complete circle - cobra/hollow t classic/hollow t contoured/cobra special. only missing an atom w/m's and an H. someday.