PDA

View Full Version : Another Stainless Steel Frets Question

JoeB63
02-12-2004, 03:33 PM
There are some people who believe that SS frets give a guitar a more bright, brash tone. I have 3 TA's all with SS frets, and I don't think any of them are bright or brash. Of course, I don't have the same guitars without SS frets to compare them to.

I'd like Tom or Roy's opinion on this. Do the SS frets make your guitars more bright than those with nickel-silver frets?

Now that I have the SS frets, it's hard to imagine buying another guitar without them. When I play my non-TA guitars I think that I need to limit my time on them so I don't wear out the frets too quickly. I know, that's a mental problem, but that's the way I think.

dpeterson
02-12-2004, 06:34 PM
i dont think it makes a difference.. at least i cant hear it. Warwick basses uses bell brass for their frets, and i'm sure they do that for some reason. And dont we forget the people who say they can hear the difference in battery brands in their pedals.

Dave

John Price
02-12-2004, 08:17 PM
I've heard this from some other guitar builders but personally I love the sound of both of my Andersons with the stainless steel frets! I've played Anderson guitars side by side with and without SS frets and both of them sounded great but the feel is what really made me go with the SS.
Now that I've been using the SS Frets I can't imagine using anything else! I would sell guitars after a year of use just because of fret wear that would drive me nuts to look at thinking I'm going to have to get some crowning work done! I know That's crazy but it's just how wacked I get over it!!!!

:)

tom
02-12-2004, 08:50 PM
first off, who has had enough experience with stainless to make that statement? we have refretted many guitars with it and it absolutely does not have a harsher top end. if there is a difference, the top end is sweeter, not harsher.

dpeterson
02-13-2004, 08:32 AM
I've had my parker for about 4 years now, and it was used when i got it. the frets look brand new, slick as snot.

I have 5 andersons, and only one has stainless.. probably going to start sending back the other necks to have them refretted, as i dig the stainless. I just hate having to yank off good frets, I might just wait until they start getting really dented.

dave

JoeB63
02-13-2004, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by tom
first off, who has had enough experience with stainless to make that statement? we have refretted many guitars with it and it absolutely does not have a harsher top end. if there is a difference, the top end is sweeter, not harsher.

This is one of those Internet Guitar Urban Legends. Just tune into "The Gear Page" and you'll read that about 4 out of 5 players believe that SS frets make a guitar sound brighter.

Yes, these are likely the same people who hear a difference depending on which end of their cable they plug into their amp. SS frets are "non-traditional" so they must have a negative effect on tone. That's typical guitar urban legend thinking.

My bet is that almost all new guitars will have SS frets by 2014.

Hollow Cobra S
02-14-2004, 09:36 PM
Most of the people on Gear Page who think SS frets sound brighter should spend more time playing than talking.

BFC
02-15-2004, 04:52 AM
I don't detect anything to make me think stainless frets have any negative impact on the tone of the guitar. If there is any significant increase in the highs I would think just lowering the treble side of the pickups or rolling back the treble a touch on the amp would be sufficient. Or picking a little further toward the neck. Or using a heavier pick. Maybe a high capacitance cable would do the trick.:D You get the idea.

I think some of the gear page guys are a little over the top myself but it's a really nice forum compared to most.