PDA

View Full Version : color fade / tag vs. nit/lac

Mystroe
03-08-2007, 03:55 PM
just a curiosity; in general how does the tag finish compare/differ from the nitros/lac finish as related to color fade rate ?

tom
03-08-2007, 05:01 PM
from the 10+ year old guitars i've seen, the topcoat certainly yellows, not as bad as nitro. the colors tend to stay more the same as they are subjected to gobs of uv light in the curing process. i think the cherry reds fade more than anything. white and trans white can do some pretty weird stuff. one of pete anderson's hollow t's looks kind of crest toothpaste on the top but not the rest. the satin finish on the neck definitely yellows.

Drew
03-09-2007, 10:00 AM
I was just noticing the other day that the finish on my white 1996 Classic is finally not as "olympic" white as it used to be and is evolving in to a creamier shade. The maple neck has darkened/yellowed too.

dpeterson
03-09-2007, 02:27 PM
Side note, I have a purple drop top that I have some finish sinking going on. Not sure if that is a concern or not at this point.

dave

tom
03-10-2007, 11:18 AM
seeing as it's winter with heaters running, wood shrinkage can also be happening. we need to be reasonably careful with that. dryness is not as deadly as with acoustics, but still causes problems.