PDA

View Full Version : Silverface Fenders

skydog
02-12-2004, 04:57 AM
In my humble opinion, the best deals in today's market are the 60s/70s Fender silverface models. Reason being, silvers are way cheaper and can be converted to blackface circuitry rendering them identical in sound to the older blackface models. It's a simple operation that any amp tech worth his salt can do. Here in Boston we're blessed with one of the best amp men in the country (Roy Goode) and he's done tons of fender amps for me. They have all turned out great. Another mod that you might consider is converting to cathode bias (class A). This will give it a browner sound...a little less headroom but an oh so sweet natural compression/distortion. I have had experience with and can recommend the Super Reverb, Pro Reverb, Deluxe Reverb, Princeton Reverb (modified with a 12' speaker). To compliment your Fender amp, there are also some fine sounding and affordable speakers on the market these days made by Eminence, Weber, Jenson and Celestion . For an older used speaker, I particularly like a well worn 70s Celestion black (or green) back.

One parting thought, before you have work done, ask around for a reputable guy to do your work. Getting someone who really knows their stuff and takes pride in the work, makes all the difference.