PDA

View Full Version : Anybody played a Music Man Luke?

Casper
02-23-2007, 09:18 AM
I had an Ernie Ball Axis with 3 singles, briefly. Loved the neck, but couldn't get comfortable with the hang/size..
After meeting Luke this past summer, he says that the Lukes are EXACTLY what he plays on stage, no mods. I was mainly curious how he gets the action out of the trem system (not being a floyd). He says the trem system is flawless and he'll never play floyds again (except what he has in his arsenal)
Appreciate any feedback...
(yes, I am still in my heavy Toto phase again:)
Shaun

taclassic
02-23-2007, 10:12 AM
Shaun,

I have only played them in music stores. The neck I found more comfortable than the Axis. I actually owned an Axis and never liked the assymetrical neck shape. The Luke is more of a V shape. I was not too crazy about the pickups though. They were ok, but not my style. I currently own another guitar with EMGs that I prefer (S-S-81). Can't recall the trem system, but I have to admit that is something I loved on the Axis. It was a super sport and not the EVH Floyd Rose version.

Yngve
02-23-2007, 12:00 PM
I owned a Luke for 6-7 years. Those are great guitars (but no Andy), and the trem is very good. It has that "soft feeling" of a Floyd, but much better tone, size, handling and look in my opinion.

I used to love the pickups, but I guess I outgrew them... Didn't care for them at all the last year. That's probably because I used to play a lot of Toto, Van Halen, Dream Theater and so on, but totally changed direction to country and blues... At the end, I actually preferred my 50's classic strat (Mexico) over the Luke :eek:

My brother also had a Luke mkI with Floyd, so I have much experience with these. Feel free to ask if I can help you with anything :)

Casper
02-23-2007, 02:40 PM
Don't know that I will drive 2 hours to play one, but I would love to play one, just to feel what Luke loved over his other Valley Arts stuff. The action he gets out of that trem is amazing..he says he loves it and it stays in tune.
I was an EMG freak when I had my Zion years ago, so I know the sound and wouldn't mind it. I just thought if I ever got a good deal on one........:rolleyes:
Thanks for input guys, not serious at this point, Got an Atom to pay off first..
Shaun

Stys
02-23-2007, 04:53 PM
Before I found Anderson, I played a Luke w/Floyd. It was OK however, the neck needed adjustments daily. Perhaps the birdseye maple had something to do with this.

I didn't care for the EMG's. Never could get a true single coil tone. Also, the guitar felt small and dinky. Couldn't get use to that.

taclassic
02-23-2007, 05:18 PM
I will agree that the Music Man necks are hit or miss with stability.

I owned thrre in the past and one of them always needed the neck tweaked. It was the one with the most birdseye though. the other two with straing grain had no issues.

I also agree that it is hard to get a good single coild tone out of the EMGs. I like the S model, but not close to what I look for. At the same time I am not a huge single coil fan. The only single coils I ever like were the Anderson SAs in split mode.