PDA

View Full Version : atom h1/h3 or maybe cobra?

ScofieldKid
02-21-2007, 07:42 PM
Kind of a dumb question, but since these are both 1) maple on mahogany and 2) you can get them with H1 and H3 sorta pickups, would the sound of these two be similar? Love the sounds I've heard of demos of the solid atom and H's, so that's my benchmark. How far
off would a solid cobra be in comparison? Thanks in advance. The atmos seem very hard to find, especially once you start saying "only 2 pickups, and make them H's"... :(

tom
02-21-2007, 07:45 PM
thre are still more atoms being shipped with 2 H's than 3 pu versions so they should be just as available.(unless the people that get them that way like them more and keep them:o ).
to me the two do sound quite different, and feel way different. not better or worse, just different. the cobra has a bit more high end edge, the atom is fuller. others can chime in on their impressions. there are no wrong answers here.

michaelomiya
02-23-2007, 11:11 AM
the cobra has a bit more high end edge, the atom is fuller. others can chime in on their impressions. there are no wrong answers here.

My Atom's lighter than my Cobras. Tonewise, I hear more "spank and squawk" due to its M's. Comparatively speaking, the Cobra's have more attack/bite, and the Atom's more punch/less overtone (if that can be said about a mahogany guitar)! YMMV!

Regarding the 3 vs 2 p/up Atoms...interesting observation tom. I'm assuming that the tone difference you're hearing is acoustic? Is that due to the cut out of one more p/up slot? Weight issue?

tom
02-23-2007, 11:21 AM
sorry for not being clear. i meant that cobras and atoms sounded different, not 2 or 3 pu atoms.

michaelomiya
02-23-2007, 02:05 PM
got it - thanks Supreme Commander!:D

ScofieldKid
02-23-2007, 09:48 PM
Comments description much appreciated.

I'll keep my antennae up for something like: atom, H1- H2+, flame. Color preference is something like a desert sunset, or tobacco burst, or something. I haven't seen a tri-color on one of those, but that would be awesome. The gold sparkle is a pretty nice vibe as well.

What I like about the atom is that from the top to the bottom it has a full and complete sound. I think you created some great synergy to achieve that Tom, so congrats definitely.

Spotted this one ages ago, shoulda jumped on it, since now it's long gone: http://www.atlantamusicbrokers.com/images/ta_atom.jpg

enr1co
02-24-2007, 04:01 AM
Comments description much appreciated.

I'll keep my antennae up for something like: atom, H1- H2+, flame. Color preference is something like a desert sunset, or tobacco burst, or something.

Not sure if this one is still available but its still posted on this shops site-
http://www.gbase.com/Powered/GearDetails.aspx?Dealer=6db8a458-a165-4add-9847-7da43608278c&Item=862752

ScofieldKid
02-24-2007, 05:14 PM
Good eye! Thanks for pointing me over there. I'll check it out. The two on the site would both cover the bill nicely.

Thanks!

enr1co
02-24-2007, 06:52 PM
Good eye! Thanks for pointing me over there. I'll check it out. The two on the site would both cover the bill nicely.

Thanks!

My pleasure- hope its still there for you! If it is, Im amazed that it
no one has snagged this one up. This one was on my short list when
Atom shopping early last year- really dig the lighter desert sunset finish
as it shows off the beautiful flame more so.

ScofieldKid
03-06-2007, 11:21 AM
Anyone know if there are some more Atoms on the production line?

Still looking for the just right one:

- solid
- flame maple top
- H1-ish H2-ish pickups

?

tom
03-06-2007, 01:14 PM
any color preference? we make them pretty regularly.

ScofieldKid
03-06-2007, 01:24 PM
Well, the nicest ones I have seen so far have been the desert sunset, the fireburst, and the gold mist. But it's sort of a kismet thing.

If the question is custom order or not, I just imagined that it was significantly more expensive if you custom order. I guess I'm really just crossing my fingers to see if a really nice solid/h1/h2 comes off of the line.

tom
03-06-2007, 01:28 PM
the price should not be different for a custom order, all guitars are built to order.

ScofieldKid
03-06-2007, 07:19 PM
Good to know. Thanks for taking the time to answer questions.

I'll keep watching the market for a few more weeks, and then see about the possibility of doing the custom order.

Thanks,

ScofieldKid
03-08-2007, 03:45 AM
OK. One last place to check. I'll check there tomorrow. Then I'm on the phone.

My G&L ASAT Classic Custom has a neck that is:
NECK RADIUS 7 1/2" (190.5mm)
NECK WIDTH 1 5/8" (41.3mm)

So that is actually the only real question if I end up going custom. But even that is not the key requirement. I just happen to have large-ish hands and enjoy larger necks, so I needed to look that up for a frame of reference.

Final color choice: desert sunset with binding

ScofieldKid
03-08-2007, 05:29 PM
OK. Specs submitted to Roy to start the process.

Thanks to all for assisting in getting the process going.

ScofieldKid
03-10-2007, 10:38 PM
Can you believe my luck? I custom ordered on Friday, and today I see the guy who owns the guitar whose picture I use to spec mine... he has his up for sale on Ebay.

Wow, uh, wow. (Jim Carrey) :)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250093065364&indexURL=0&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting

Only difference between his and mine should end up being the neck, a 62 neck +02, but not rosewood. (Frankly I'm amazed the guy is selling that. I think it's the best Atom I have seen among the solids.)

It's just funny how stuff like that happens. I wouldn't have spec'd solid rosewood myself, but I would imagine that it doesn't hurt much at all. Might just give it a hair mellower vibe.