PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from Miami!

Mrgimme
02-19-2007, 09:07 AM
Hi folks!

I hope to own one of these fine "tone machines" someday I just need a little direction.

Love to find a forum where people are passionate.
Can someone answer why EVERY TAG I have ever seen looks MINT?
Granted ebay and my local dealer are trying to show the best but I have looked around the net ... Anderson Alley, here- everyone has one than looks fresh off the truck! Does anyone have a picture of a "lovingly used" TAG that shows wear?

And if I was looking for a guitar that would give the greatest variety of tone
which model and pickups? My preliminary research indicates a hollow Cobra S special with an H2+ at the bridge and a pair of SAs to get Single Coil Only sounds. I am trying to create a "virtual variax"... With the available pickups and "switcheroos" what is the greatest number of tones possible on one guitar? 6? 8? I am really trying to make it to level 9 but I was running on the carpet and got this tremendous static charge... I just hope ALL my plastic isn't zapped.

I already own a telecaster I want TAG to create a guitar that would cover as many other distinct guitar electric sounds so that I would not have to buy a closet full, getting this by the wife will be trouble enough...but if I could tell her just ONE more... what should it be?
:) :confused:

Pietro
02-19-2007, 11:46 PM
I sometimes wonder if Tom and Roy and company get a little discouraged by all the "mint" TAG guitars out there. I mean, a great instrument is meant to be played, right? And if somebody buys a great new TAG, takes it out twice a year to make sure it's okay, but never PLAYS it, that's just sad...

I only have one TAG, a Crowdster Plus, but I intend to USE it... to PLAY it... if it gets some scratches and dings (not yet, though...) then so be it...

Casper
02-20-2007, 08:50 AM
Mrgimme! Welcome to the board! I would recommend a Droptop or Hollow Droptop with maple/swamp ash body rosewood neck, H1-/SA1R/H2+ and switcheroo system. You could ad the Baggs bridge as an option. If you like a shorter scale, then a Cobra or (my fav) an Atom with M series and 5-way pull-add bridge setup covers all things nicely.. Welcome!
Shaun

Mrgimme
02-20-2007, 09:53 AM
How does the Cobra differ from the Droptop? Is it just the scale length?
Are there really only 3 body styles (tele copy, strat copy and Les Paul copy) with drop top and hollow variations? Explain how the Cobra becomes "special"?
I am not complaining... I feel Tom is perfecting these designs...raising the bar!
I could spend 3 grand on a reissue but I would rather pay for the advancements in electronics, hardware and finishing, did you see those pictures from NAMM 2007? The one guitar looks like MOLTEN LAVA! Talk about a show stopper!
I want to GET IN LINE to have a finish like that!

I really liked your first pickup group although I am considering maybe just 2 instead of 3 (looks less crowded- but if 3 gives me a significant boost in the number of voicings I may be swayed)

Can you explain the baggs bridge?

Casper
02-20-2007, 10:17 AM
A Cobra is a shorter (les paul) scaled mahogany body. An Atom is too. A Cobra special is all mahogany with P series pickups. I'm pretty sure all others are Strat scaled (longer). I have owned everything that Tom has made except for a Crowdster (acoustic/electric). If you want the most tone choices, in my opinion, the p/up combo I suggested is the way to go. It will be harder to get the tone choices with only two pickups. I'm sure the brethren on the Forum and Tom himself may have different opinions too.

My advice is to get on the website for Anderson and go to the tone section and read about different pickups and tone/body wood combos before you choose..In either way, you can't lose, but it may take some time to read through and decide what you are looking for and how it applies to your desires..Good Luck
Shaun

dannopelli
02-20-2007, 12:44 PM
Mrgimme! Welcome to the board! I would recommend a Droptop or Hollow Droptop with maple/swamp ash body rosewood neck, H1-/SA1R/H2+ and switcheroo system. You could ad the Baggs bridge as an option. If you like a shorter scale, then a Cobra or (my fav) an Atom with M series and 5-way pull-add bridge setup covers all things nicely.. Welcome!
Shaun

I concur with the DROP TOP configured as above. I had one like that for a while and it truly was very versatile. You could swap the H's for M's but you can't split the neck with an M. Switcheroo is VERY useful but sometimes hard to get used to.

This will be however a "Super Strat" type guitar. You will not get the LP sounds as it is not Mahogany. Will sound full and heavy, no worries there. So if you prefer an alder sound, with the snappy attack of the longer scale, a HEAVY sounding Strat, Ii vote that you get a DT. If you want the mahogany sound and the shorter scale attack go with the Cobra S.

My one codicil, and mind you I have SIX Andy's and if I had to keep only one guitar it would be an Andy... Nothing sounds like a Les Paul but a Les Paul. Some come close. But none exactly. Who knows why? Not me. Hell I have two plus a PRS Singlecut and the PRS does not sound like either LP.

Last, YOU WILL LOVE WHATEVER ANDY YOU CHOOSE!

Mrgimme
02-21-2007, 05:03 PM
When you sit down with your Music store guy it would seem like you could "write your own ticket" (birthserial card) So mine would look like this right?:

Model - Hollow Drop Top
Body Finish - Molten Lava from the Namm 07 Show
Body Wood - Quilted Maple Top on Maple Body
Neck Wood - Hard Rock Maple
Neck Finish - Matching Headstock, Satin Back
Nutwidth - 1 11/16 in
Frets - Heavy
Back Shape - .030 inch oversized
Hardware - Black
Bridge - Vintage Tremolo
Pickups - H1-/SA1R/H2+
Switching -Switcheroo, Vintage Voicing
Comments -

BFTS

Any venture to guess what such a rig might cost?

I imagine delivery schedules are still a moving target- but if no one orders
who is going to make the guitar of the week?!

If anyone feels I missed something or could make it better- do tell...

As Ross Perot says: I am all ears!
:p

tom
02-21-2007, 05:15 PM
not sure what the molten lava color is?
as for too many minty guitars, many people that buy expensive stuff take great care with it. some don't, we see some thrashed ones too.

Mrgimme
02-21-2007, 05:57 PM
Thanks to enr1co and michaelomiya!

Click on the link below- anybody know the trick to properly inserting an image?

The attachment is isolated from Michaels Namm shot.

Can I get a matching coffee table? ;)

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/eatienza@sbcglobal.net/album/576460762386379860/photo/294928804193287474/25?wtok=UwOBTnnXZiqLvXfbG9ZhoA--&ts=1169487730

tom
02-21-2007, 06:29 PM
that's burnished orange on a great piece of quilt.

Casper
02-22-2007, 06:25 AM
Gimme..
I don't think Tom is doing Maple on maple? At least I haven't heard about it in awhile...(Grand Am?) Tom doesn't do matching headstock on a maple neck either. You may want to consider a darker neckwood if thats important to you..Also, If you haven't played an oversized neck, especially in an 1 11/16th nut, I would try to play one first, that is a big one, imo. Black Hardware on a gorgeous top like that? I would go gold or chrome..really accents the color better. If you are buying from an Anderson dealer, they should know the plusses and minuses of what Tom will/won't do and be able to give you a ballpark figure of what it will cost and wait time for production.
just my .02:o
Shaun

Mrgimme
02-22-2007, 10:07 AM
I don't think Tom is doing Maple on maple?

Then what would you go with? Swamp ash ok?

At least I haven't heard about it in awhile...(Grand Am?) Tom doesn't do matching headstock on a maple neck either.

Point taken. The headstock will be natural (with black logo)

I like the look of maple fretboards, black dots (matching hardware AND pickups) So when you see this thing it will be either maple, black or AWESOME finish (which has black as well) this is all just aesthetics...
I am pumped to have a guitar to give me most of the sounds a regular Tele will not, and not have buy 3 more.

Also, If you haven't played an oversized neck, especially in an 1 11/16th nut, I would try to play one first, that is a big one, imo.

I wish there was some size checker because my dealer has a half a dozen Tags but maybe no oversizes. I have wide hands but not long fingers.

Casper thanks so much for your help, I know these guitars must be special to get guys like you sending up a flare for the lost in dark like me.

I am thinking of naming my custom model: "The Magmanator"

What do ya think?

Casper
02-22-2007, 10:20 AM
Again, you should read the tone/body wood section on the Anderson website, also talk it up with your dealer or call Anderson, that way you can read descriptions on which woods go best with each other. Another model for you to consider is a Hollow T Classic with a 3 p/up combination...looks like a Tele with strat scale. If you can get your hands on an Anderson catalog from your dealer or call Anderson and have them ship you one, it has pretty descriptive info as well. You can also surf the web of Anderson dealers to see if they have one you can buy "off the rack" with your descriptions..whichever you decide, think long and hard about what you want if you are going to custom order one. Make sure you see all the colors and options. It would be lovely if Tom could send out neck templates for all the dealers, but it would be way expensive. I have traded or sold many Andersons because of wrong choices for me. I have a Classic and an Atom now and have never been happier...but the journey getting here was expensive. Many people on this forum can relate..;) We are all brand loyal.
Good Luck Bro.
Shaun

Mrgimme
02-22-2007, 03:38 PM
Casper what would cause you to swap so I can make my self more prepared?

If anyone else could relate what has caused them to switch I would like to know.

It seems this is a purchase to get research FULLY- so I make the right purchase the FIRST time- and I sure would like more horror stories and fairytales too!:o

michaelomiya
02-22-2007, 07:58 PM
Thanks to enr1co and michaelomiya!

PM sent!:p

MojoRojo
02-22-2007, 08:27 PM
341I also concure with the Drop Top HSH switcheroo setup for incredible versatility. When I began my search I drove 3 hours to my closest well-stocked dealer and played some cobra s' and t's. Ultimately I bought a Hollow Drop T with HSH & switcheroo. It has alot of different sounds and unlike some guitars with many sounds, they all sound great. I find myself trying and using more sounds every week. #08-27-03a. The guitar is so versatile that I am thinking of a Drop Top S with the same pickups and switching as my #2! Good luck on your search and take your time....you WILL be happy!

Mrgimme
02-23-2007, 03:38 PM
I would like everyone to notice Mr. Mojo has "noticeable" shred staining on his guitar. (previous post picture) Everyone talks about TAGs looking never played and this confirms that to be fallacy!

Now if we could only have some entries in the "music made by forum members" section!

Awesome finish as well! Deciding on one of Tom's finishes has got to be like going to Baskin Robbins- no matter what scoop you get you wish you could have one more!:confused: :p

dave
02-26-2007, 04:55 AM
Deciding on one of Tom's finishes has got to be like going to Baskin Robbins- no matter what scoop you get you wish you could have one more!:confused: :p
+1 and LOL!
I'm thrilled with my atom, but consequently tempted to get another TAG - question is, if the atom is so perfect and covers such a wide spectrum, which TAG should you get as a compliment?!