PDA

View Full Version : Shure ULX Wireless

Casper
02-19-2007, 07:47 AM
Having difficulty with the wireless. Anybody have any experience with setting the gain on the beltpack? I adjusted it this weekend and it is clipping my pedal board (wireless unit + input +output+input to amp) Should I be using the -20db pad on the belt pack for Anderson pckups or is there an internal adjustment for gain on the reciever itself? I can't seem to find the balance of gain? Anybody with any experience, your thought/idea is appreciated..
Shaun

Pietro
02-20-2007, 08:02 AM
I used different units, so I don't have any specific feedback for you, except this which you don't want to hear.

I swore off wireless in the 80s and then again in the 90s except for my head-worn microphone. Tone-sucking monsters. I hear great things about the new digital ones. Maybe I'll try again in the 00s.

I didn't help, sorry. Your wondering why I bothered posting...

Hope it works out.

Casper
02-20-2007, 08:45 AM
I disagree..mostly. I would agree some of the Audio Technica and Samson units are tone suckers for sure..not this one. I have compared the two and I can hardly tell the diff. I spent about $800.00 on this unit and it is tour grade. I bet some of the touring guys on the board are using the same or similar. The problem I am having all of the sudden is matching the gain. It has a -20db switch and an adjustable gain on the belt pack. I can;t seem to find out whether the -20db switch should be engaged or not especially with the above powered TA pickups..I am getting peaks and the unit is clipping overdriving my pedal board right now. Waiting to hear from Shure...
thanks for the opinion though..:o

tom
02-20-2007, 11:30 AM
having only had experience with wireless mic stuff, i'll chime in. the trim pot on the unit is to match the input gain. there may be an overload indicator on the belt pack. you don't want to over load the transmitter or you'll get ugly distortion. start low, then raise it untill there is a problem than take it back down a bit. signal to noise should be better the higher you can go. at the other end try going back and forth with a cord and the wireless untill the wireless gives you the same level as without it.

Pietro
02-20-2007, 11:45 AM
Let me know how it works out. I'm always hoping to find a decent wireless unit. I just gave up a couple times. Maybe it's time to try again. Of course, since I'm running in stereo, that would mean, including my in-ears and my wireless headset... FOUR wireless pieces on me... egads... might be too much. But I'd like to hear your experiences with the ULX, since it's supposed to be slammin'.

JohnnyBeck
02-20-2007, 07:01 PM
I gotta tell you guys. I just got an akg guitar bug with the pr40 receiver for christmas and I LOVE it. The receiver and transmitter are so small...it's got 4 way diversity. They aren't making them anymore so you can get them for around 180 plus shipping on ebay right now. Just search for pr40.

Just my 2 cents.

Later taters
Johnny