PDA

View Full Version : Wiring/switching modification question

sibsound
02-18-2007, 07:54 AM
Can anybody help me with a wiring modification?

My Drop Top Classic has the following:

Pickups - SA1R SA1 H3
Switching - 5 Way, Mini Switch Splits, Pull Adds Bridge, Vintage Voicing

How would I go about changing the wiring of the mini switch so it only works on the bridge humbucker?

I never use the series sound on the single coils so I would like them to be permanently split (i.e. true single coil). That way I could, for example, switch from neck single coil to bridge humbucker by just changing the 5 way. At the moment I would have to change the 5 way and the mini.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Stew

tom
02-18-2007, 04:57 PM
there are two things you can do. to get what you have stated, remove the green and white wires from neck and middle pickups that are attached to the mini switch, and solder them to ground. that will permanently split them and still allow the humbucker to spit. if you never really want to split the humbucker but may want to run the sa's in series sometime when noise is terrible, it could be converted to a B5 wiring which would permanently wire the humbucker for series. that is a bigger switch, so i would have to send you a drawing for that.

sibsound
02-19-2007, 06:27 PM
Thanks for the quick response Tom, great service as always.

I like to split the bridge humbucker quite often so the B5 switching wouldn't be right for me. I'm going to try the simpler modification and see how I get on with it at this weekend's gig.