PDA

View Full Version : Earvana nut.

OSCAR ZOROASTER
02-13-2007, 08:00 PM
Anyone tried one? My instructor is a real fan.

Pietro
02-13-2007, 08:59 PM
I'm really happy with the BFTS and wouldn't quickly bother trying something else.

tom
02-14-2007, 11:24 AM
tried it when it was brand new years ago when it was a very cheesey plastic thing, so i wouldn't say i have any experience with a newer version. bfts works so well for me that i'm also reluctant to look very hard elsewhere.

GaryMcT
02-14-2007, 04:25 PM
From what I hear, the advantage of the Earvana nut is that you intonate and tune normally. That being said, I'm not switching from BFTS any time soon. :)

OSCAR ZOROASTER
02-14-2007, 05:00 PM
But for my other (and lower quality) guitars, I was just wondering if anyone had converted. I know there are a lot of talented players so I thought I would ask. He had recommended it for my old Fender Tele, which I am considering. I was not trying to stir up any BF comparison issue. It is something I can get done locally.

GaryMcT
02-14-2007, 05:02 PM
I had my old strat Feitenized by a local guy. Do you have anyone nearby that can Feitenize for you?

OSCAR ZOROASTER
02-14-2007, 10:29 PM
unfortunately, I live in a smaller community without a certified agent or high quality luthier (at least that I have found). Gary, how did your strat turn out? Anyone know a luthier in Indianapolis?

GaryMcT
02-15-2007, 12:28 AM
The strat turned out well, although it isn't as in tune as my Andersons. It would probably take a refret for it to be as in tune since the frets are a bit worn.

scottiK
02-15-2007, 12:50 PM
unfortunately, I live in a smaller community without a certified agent or high quality luthier (at least that I have found). Gary, how did your strat turn out? Anyone know a luthier in Indianapolis?

Yes...not sure if he does Feiten stuff but he does great work.

His name is Kevin Heffernan ph (317) 371-8956.

I think once before I saw that Klaverenga Guitar in Lafayette was a authorized Feiten shop. Ask for Jim (765) 742-6336

Maybe Crash will chime in. He has the Earvana on one of his guitars and really likes it. We both live in the Fishers, IN. Small world.....

scott

OSCAR ZOROASTER
02-15-2007, 01:08 PM
Thanks Scott. My wife used to live in Fishers, have been there many times. Appreciate the input. Have you had KH do anything with your TA's?

scottiK
02-15-2007, 01:30 PM
Unfortunately I don't currently own a TA. Had a Drop Top and a Cobra at one time...hope to own one again sometime.

I haven't used Kevin yet but many of my friends have and he does phenomenal work. When I have the cash I plan on having him refret my Strat and dress my Les Paul and Yamaha 335. I've seen fretwork, set-ups, and major mods he has done and I've always been impressed. Another local luthier is TJ Everette at Guitar Town on E. Washington (317) 357-9810. His dad used to do all my work before he passed. I haven't had TJ do any work but also hear good things about him as well.

BTW-Since my last post I looked on the Feiten site for authorized retrofit dealers and Reno's Music (Locations in Carmel and Fishers) was listed as well.

scott

crash
02-16-2007, 09:45 PM
Maybe Crash will chime in. He has the Earvana on one of his guitars and really likes it. We both live in the Fishers, IN. Small world.....

scott

Chiming in, as requested.

To stay on topic (sort of), I couldn't find anyone around here to do the BFTS retrofit, so I did the Earvana myself on my G&L Legacy HB custom. It's not plastic - it's some sort of composite material. Doesn't sound quite as good as the fossilized bone nut on my Strat, but it does fix the intonation. Tuning is a breeze - no offsets.

Off-topic, I've had Hefferman do a once over on my trusty Fender Strat - he refretted it, hollowed it out strategically beneath the pickguard, reshaped the neck joint to have a contour like TA's and so many others, and reshaped the neck profile to be a bit slimmer, with less taper. I also had him reshape the neck profile on the G&L too. He nailed both necks - they're great.

He saw the Earvana on my G&L and wasn't that familiar with it, but I'm sure he's do a good job with installing it.

Scott (Naylor, not 'K').

OSCAR ZOROASTER
02-17-2007, 02:00 PM
Appreciate your input. Have good day. Dave