PDA

View Full Version : Egnater?

GaryMcT
01-22-2007, 11:37 PM
Tom, I read somewhere else that you were checking out the Egnater amps at NAMM. What did you think?

tom
01-23-2007, 11:48 AM
came home with one. haven't had a chance to play much yet. i'll give it a go this weekend. plinked on it for just a few minutes last night. easy to make it sound nice. my only concern is that it is pretty loud.

Ray K.
01-23-2007, 12:27 PM
Good deal, Tom!

I owned an Eganater ie4 some years back. Awesome sounding and voiced 4-channel preamp. I only sold it to go back to combo amps. Bruce builds great gear! If he built low wattage combos, I'd certainly be checking one out.

Ray K.

tom
01-23-2007, 01:26 PM
i may try 6v6's in this, but i'm not sure it will change the volume much.

GaryMcT
01-23-2007, 02:40 PM
6v6's dropped the volume quite a bit for me (on the Randall version of this.) I use those along with a hotplate (2-clicks from max. . -8dB I think) to make it reasonable. I've also heard that some have had good luck using some form of yellow jackets in these to get it down to 5-ish watts. . I'll see if I can dig up the info.

killerburst
01-23-2007, 05:14 PM
I fell in love with the COD module. Whisper volumes + unlimited harmonic sustain with ZERO fuzz around the note. All of the mods were cool, but the COD absolutely floored me. Which mods did you get, Tom?

olectric
01-23-2007, 05:49 PM
my only concern is that it is pretty loud.

When I read the question, I knew this would be your answer. :D Did you check out the Suhr Badger or any other amps with power scaling? Seems like something you could really get into.

tom
01-23-2007, 07:15 PM
john said he'd send me a badger when the next batch was up. the multi channels on the egnater is appealing as i could loose most of the od pedals on my board making room for fun stuff.

guitarzan
01-23-2007, 08:43 PM
I find that I can play whisper quiet and still get all the tones I need. I don't really need to play quiet these days, but around the house, with the low power switch and the master volume, I'm plenty happy.

Tom, didn't you get an SL2? Try the A channel of that one, gain between 9 and 12 o'clock, volume/output between 10 and noon, amp master volume at 8 o'clock or less. It won't cook the power section, but you can at least get some good squish and OD with that recipe. Oh yeah, and put the cab under a mattress. :D

tom
01-23-2007, 09:13 PM
i did not get the sl2, i got the swerd version. dlx and sl. it seems to have plenty gain for me. i think i'll need the mastr to be about 9oclock for church.

guitarzan
01-23-2007, 09:22 PM
sl should be enough gain.

... and the overall output is higher in the lo-power position. I know this sounds counter-intuitive, but 9 o'clock is gonna be quieter on the hi-power mode than 9 o'clock in lo-power.

guitarzan
01-29-2007, 01:19 PM
it's Monday, Tom. Do you have a post-Sunday report on the Egnater?

tom
01-29-2007, 01:45 PM
the weekend did not go as expected. all drummers were out of town, so we had to play acoustic with only a cajon player(my son) filling in the percussion. that in itself was fun. did get to play a crowdster through my pedalboard which was kinda fun. didn't get to put the amp through it's paces. this week will be the test. one of the singers at church is getting married friday night so we'll play cover tunes for the reception then i'll get to play electric all weekend. should be fun.

JohnnyBeck
01-29-2007, 03:19 PM
So..if you like decide to get rid of your pedals I want first dibs... doesn't matter what they are...I'm a total Tom Anderson groupie. hehehe...

I hope you have fun with your amp this weekend though. I'll be looking forward to hearing how it does for ya.

Later,
Johnny

Pietro
01-29-2007, 04:15 PM
"the weekend did not go as expected"

I love it when a plan falls apart... Every now and then I PRAY for something to go wrong so that my worship team will need to totally re-invent what they are doing on the fly. It makes for some real special moments, imho...

tom
01-29-2007, 05:06 PM
it turned out to be pretty fun, but my fingers are not used to playing acoustic strings. it was painful.

mbrown3
01-29-2007, 07:38 PM
"the weekend did not go as expected"

I love it when a plan falls apart... Every now and then I PRAY for something to go wrong so that my worship team will need to totally re-invent what they are doing on the fly. It makes for some real special moments, imho...

Definitely. This wasn't exactly "falling apart," per se, but we had a huge blizzard in PA one time and only like 12 people showed up for worship. We didn't even use the sound system, and it was one of the most powerful services we ever had.

Pietro
01-29-2007, 09:47 PM
"but my fingers are not used to playing acoustic strings"

You should play one of those Crowdys more often. I try and practice on it daily, and then when I pick up one of my electrics, it feels amazing! Only problem is, I ended up putting heavier strings on almost everything cause now I'm overbending...

mbrown, where are you in PA? I'm in little ol' Du Bois. We didn't have that much snow, we had a HUGE turnout this weekend.

marsodude
01-29-2007, 10:22 PM
HA! That's just too funny about acoustic strings. I have permanent grooves in my fingers that make me look like an ALIEN.

Tom, Pietro and I would be interested in your thoughts on the Crowdster thru the pedalboard.

mbrown3
01-29-2007, 11:46 PM
Not in PA anymore, pastoring a church in MI now.

tom
01-30-2007, 11:42 AM
i just used a little delay, trem on one song, and a barber ltd for a little boost(with the gain all the way down) for a solo.

michaelomiya
01-30-2007, 11:29 PM
my only concern is that it is pretty loud.

.....tom, come to the dark side........volume is GOOD!:p :D

Regarding the Badger, I played one of John's proto's last year....very goood!! (but I needed to crank it to get it to really compress the way I like it - so much so we had to clear out the amp room:eek: ):D

tom
01-31-2007, 11:32 AM
this is probably blasphemy, but i have found that if i can get my desired tone at a reasonble volume the overall experience of playing is more pleasurable than if i am blasting for a long period of time. getting that tone is the challenge of course. that's not to say that it isn't fun to crank it up for short blasts;)

bud
01-31-2007, 05:20 PM
.....tom, come to the dark side........volume is GOOD!:p :D

I have this image of Michael playing: his hair and clothes blowing in the wind being created by his amp. Kinda like the old Maxell ad :)

Wasn't it EVH that said it wasn't worth playing unless the hair on his arms was moving?

guitarzan
01-31-2007, 05:54 PM
Just about my whole life I've preferred low volume playing and practicing. I like to hear the attack of the strings alongside the amp. And soundguys usually tell me to turn up. :) Truth be told, the louder I play, the more naked I feel on stage. Live, I like to hear the guitar mixed pretty far back, just like I hear it on the radio.

BUT, I'm realizing more and more what kind of beauty comes from a pushed power section and a cab and speakers being pushed to resonance. I still feel uncomfortable being so loud, but I'm getting used to it with the Egnater. :)

michaelomiya
01-31-2007, 10:29 PM
I have this image of Michael playing: his hair and clothes blowing in the wind being created by his amp. Kinda like the old Maxell ad :)
:D :D
with all of the recent Andy's, I cannot afford a hair dryer. Marshall's make an adequate substitute!!:rolleyes: :rolleyes: ;)

Wasn't it EVH that said it wasn't worth playing unless the hair on his arms was moving?

Hair, arms, "other" body parts....:eek: :D

michaelomiya
01-31-2007, 10:31 PM
that's not to say that it isn't fun to crank it up for short blasts;)

amen, amen.:p ;)

michaelomiya
01-31-2007, 10:37 PM
sl should be enough gain.

... and the overall output is higher in the lo-power position. I know this sounds counter-intuitive, but 9 o'clock is gonna be quieter on the hi-power mode than 9 o'clock in lo-power.

whoa. just checked out the SL module on Bruce's site. kewl. I like the throaty, raw grit that that clip captured. Does it sound that good in person? (assume the poweramp doesn't matter?):p

ToneLounge
02-01-2007, 12:25 AM
Hey Michael - that clip is close, and yet misses by a mile.

I have a MOD50, the oversize 112, and a 412 with GBs, and ALL of the Egnater modules... do we need to arrange an Egnater night at Chasy & Bud's place?

tom
02-01-2007, 02:01 AM
got to play it some tonight. really liked the sl. the deluxe may be to cleanish for me. would like to try the bassman and vox(even if i only use one sound from it). having 4 amp sounds is almost option anxioty for me. do you have any spares of those modules?

ToneLounge
02-01-2007, 08:38 AM
Tom - yes I have spares. Maybe tomorrow I can bring up the VX (vox), B-man, an extra SL and the SL2.

Did you try pushing the B channel of the Deluxe?

tom
02-01-2007, 11:31 AM
could just be the way i had the eq or boost switches, but it wasn't going where i was hoping. i just need more time with it. playing with the bass boost a bit. do you use that on the deluxe?

bud
02-01-2007, 02:04 PM
having 4 amp sounds is almost option anxioty for me. do you have any spares of those modules?

Not unlike having 6 gain devices on a pedal board ? :)

tom
02-01-2007, 02:17 PM
the same but different. i have gotten down to 3 gain devices. i'm thinking that 3 amp sounds with a boost pedal might just do it...for now.

tom
02-01-2007, 02:17 PM
the same but different:o i have gotten down to 3 gain devices. i'm thinking that 3 amp sounds with a boost pedal might just do it...for now.

bud
02-01-2007, 03:07 PM

I have a MOD50, the oversize 112, and a 412 with GBs, and ALL of the Egnater modules... do we need to arrange an Egnater night at Chasy & Bud's place?

That would be fun. We don't often experience north of 45 watts.

tom
02-01-2007, 03:56 PM
with the master at about 9-10:00, it was comperable in volume to my 11 watt carr. it felt like it was opened up at that setting. it didn't change significantly when turned up louder.

michaelomiya
02-02-2007, 12:34 AM

Brian, I'd love to hear more! You got it! I'll bring a 71 Super Trem (bone stock w/ the tremolo circuit out), a variac and a 16 ohm hotplate. :cool: :cool:

BTW, that 24.75" finger-style Taylor (GS5) still haunts me!!:p

michaelomiya
02-02-2007, 12:35 AM
That would be fun. We don't often experience north of 45 watts. I'll bring a couple of hun-dees!! :p :D

michaelomiya
02-02-2007, 12:39 AM
I know I'm in the total minority in this regard, but I picked up a Diezel Herbert from Peter over the holiday. I tell ya the clean channel's almost worth the price of admission. No lie. I've played BF Fenders (65 super, 67 proreverb come to mind), and the Herbert's very convincing. BTW, the Diezel's rated at180W's. But with a plate voltage of 480V, and can push 260W (if calculation's correct) when cranked!!!:eek: :cool:

tom
02-02-2007, 11:27 AM
now that's what i need, 260 watts:eek:

GuitarNorton
02-02-2007, 12:07 PM
Huh? I can't hear yea!

bud
02-02-2007, 06:24 PM
But with a plate voltage of 480V, and can push 260W (if calculation's correct) when cranked!!!:eek: :cool:

Do the lights dim when you turn it on? :D

Pietro
02-02-2007, 07:29 PM
Bud,

I want to know if you use it in a relatively remote area like mine does the whole power grid go down.

Years ago on a lark I took a Fender Twin Reverb (early 70s) and cranked it to the sky, plugged it in, walked outside my house and looked at the electric meter while I cranked out a loud power chord.

I didn't know those thingees could spin so fast...

:eek:

michaelomiya
02-02-2007, 07:51 PM
Do the lights dim when you turn it on? :D

:D nah, but the channel lights are blue and are like lazer beams when standing 5-10 feet away!!:rolleyes: :cool: :p

mbrown3
02-12-2007, 10:23 AM
Any updated tone report from this weekend, Tom? Would love to hear how the Egnater did...

tom
02-12-2007, 02:37 PM
didn't play this weekend, or get time to just goof around with the different modules. last weekend was a very fun time. i ended up using the delux and sl modules and could not have been happier(i'll still check out the other modules as time permits). overall volume was not a problem, which is a switch for me. the master truely seems to just make it louder or softer. only used a gain pedal for a breif 15 seconds in one tune. that's really a switch for me. i could gush more, but i need to get some more time with it. it's definitely not going back to bruce. now if i could only get some helium implants to help with the weight:o

mbrown3
02-12-2007, 03:40 PM
Hmm, very cool. It's looking more and more like the MOD50 will be my next amp...

guitarzan
02-12-2007, 04:20 PM
oh, it's definitely not a light amp. But it's worth it, when you consider the extra weight you've been carrying around in OD pedals!! :)

Now my board consists of swirly bits and not much more since all the aggression comes out of the amp itself.

mbrown3
02-12-2007, 04:26 PM
The only thing is, my Barber pedals sound SO good, that I'm not sure if I can ever part with them, regardless of how good the amp itself sounds.

guitarzan
02-12-2007, 04:36 PM
well, don't forget, there are two modules per amp, each with an A and a B channel, so if you chose something clean for one of your modules (like Tom and ToneLounge's DLUX or my BMAN) then you could still use OD pedals in the chain just like you would any other clean or cleanish amp.

For me, I've never had pedals that sounded quite as good as the drive I get from the SL2, though, so it was an easy choice. I really really liked my Zendrive, but I can get plenty close with just the Egnater now, so it's gone. I still have a pedal that I call the Crimson Emu, that sounds great, and I kept that one (in my gear storage), but aaaalllllll the other OD's are gone and the Egnater reigns supreme.

tom
02-12-2007, 05:14 PM
i'll still keep a couple od's, or maybe just that combo pedal barber keeps threatening me with. there is a time when i need gain before volume pedal so i can get a wash of od guitar but at a lower volume. using the amp gain, it of course cleans up when you roll the volume down.

mbrown3
02-12-2007, 05:38 PM
Yeah, right now I just LOVE the Small Fry, and it plays great with the AC Booster giving me a bunch of options, but I'm still going to try the LTD and Tone Pump for lower gain that either of those, plus the Direct Drive for higher gain, just to see how they sound. I'm thinking that maybe some of the middle pedals (Tone Pump, AC, and/or Small Fry) will overlap in some tone departments and I can get to just one of each low, mid, and high gain pedal, plus whatever the amp brings. Different flavors for different songs, I suppose. Of course, whatever comes through on the amp channels may eliminate some too.

I'll never get rid of the Launch Pad or Tone Press, either, so those are a given, I'm just thinking OD tones. I just want to have some variety of sound. With 2 channels per module I should be set. The only problem is only 2 modules per head on the MOD50, and I don't want to go to the 100 or mess with a power amp and rack for the M4. I wish I could get a MOD50 head with 4 modules...Twin, Bassman, SL, and VX.

tom
02-12-2007, 07:26 PM
that would be serious option anxioty.

LonestarGtr
02-14-2007, 11:14 AM
Does anybody know how well the Randall MTS stacks up against the Egnater? Are the modules interchangeable?

thanks,
Mike

tom
02-14-2007, 11:18 AM
i am told the modules do interchange, but the egnater modules have two channels each so if you stick them into a randall, you will only get one channel. i have found that he did a really good job of making both channels usable even thought hey share the eq. they are both voiced differently and channel B has more gain.

GaryMcT
02-14-2007, 04:23 PM
I haven't had the chance to try the Egnater version, but I'm very very happy with the Randall stuff. The TopBoost module in particular really does it for me. The good news is that the Randall stuff is about half the price of the Egnater stuff. I have the RM50B which is the 50-watt combo with 2 module slots. I picked up an RM4 to run into the effects return on the RM50B to give me 4 modules. I swapped out the 6L6's for JJ 6V6's to get the volume down. . sounds really great.

guitarzan
03-10-2007, 10:44 PM
Update on the Egnater. I kept my combo box and sent the chassis back to Bruce to get loaded into a head and to have him love it up a bit. It should be back this week. I don't wanna hijack the thread, but I've been borrowing Chasy's Bogner Duende in the meantime and will proudly give it two thumbs up. REALLY versatile and sweet as pie regardless of where the knobs are set.

I mean, it's not a MOD50, but "it'll do, Donkey... It'll do". When my Egnater comes back this week, you'll hear the sky open up and the angels playing air guitar. :)

tom
03-11-2007, 12:29 AM
played the vox and super lead modules tonight just for fun. being able to switch things up is fun, especially when they all sound so good.

Mike D.
03-12-2007, 11:07 PM
Does anybody know how well the Randall MTS stacks up against the Egnater? Are the modules interchangeable?

thanks,
Mike

I own the Randall RM4 preamp and run it into a Randall RT2/50 power amp. Just an outstanding sounding rig.

I run this stereo (via a TC Electronic G System) into two Mesa vertical 2x12's loaded with Celestion V30's and the sound is perfect for me. I always get compliments where ever I play. I run the following modules: Blackface, Recto, Brown and XTC. Recto is my main rhythm channel and the XTC is my lead channel. The Blackface takes pedals very well. I have used a number of different OD pedals through it, my favorites being the MXR Wylde OD and the Radial Tonebone Hot British.

I would love to compare it with an Egnater but haven't had the chance yet. The cool thing about the Randall modules is that they are very easily modified. If you think there's too much or too little low end, change out a capacitor. There is a website devoted to modding MTS modules. Very cool stuff.

I was enjoying playing my Andy through my Randall rig at practice tonight and just smiling :D

tom
03-13-2007, 03:38 AM
having more modules available (installed at one time)would be cool! i'll have to give the xtc equiv a listen.

GaryMcT
03-13-2007, 03:38 PM
I don't think Egnater makes an xtc equiv since he doesn't want to be rude and imitate other boutique builder's circuits, especially since the xtc circuit is out there. You can use the Randall xtc in a Egnater amp though, but it is only one channel.

My solution to having more modules available is to plug an RM4 (Randalls version of the M4 preamp) into the effects return of a 50-watt Randall combo. This way I can bring the combo with 2 modules if I want to be more portable, add the RM4 and a rack effects processor, etc. If I were really nuts I could switch the 2 preamp slots on the combo in and get 6 modules.

tom
03-13-2007, 04:27 PM
i think the modern hgh gain may be xtcish

mbrown3
03-28-2007, 07:46 PM
I'd love to see a Shiva module.

mbrown3
03-28-2007, 08:17 PM
So killerburst (and others), tell me about the COD! Sounds awesome.

mbrown3
04-13-2007, 02:59 PM
No one on the COD? I finally got my MOD50 on order, looks like end of May before she's finished. I went with the Twin, VX, SL, and COD modules. I can't wait. Would still love to hear some in-depth impressions of the COD from someone who's tried it.

Still working well for you, Tom? Have you kept any overdrive/boost/distortion pedals, or is it all amp now? My three favorite overdrive pedals are the AC Booster, Small Fry, and Tone Pump, but I'm not sure if I'll keep all or none when the MOD50 comes in. I'm waiting for the amp, to see if I even need them, and how each sounds through the new rig.

tom
04-13-2007, 04:47 PM
still loving it. still using the sl module for sure. tried several other higher gain modules, and they all go farther than i need. i find with this amp i don't need as much gain to feel like i'm getting a great feel back from the amp. still have the deluxe module, and it's great for cleanish stuff but i'm waiting for a modded vox module which i think for what i do will be nicer for me. i still have a spot for one od on the board, and i have rotated a few things in there without a clear winner, mostly because i don't really need it. so far the hotcake has given me a nice different flavor so it will probably stay for a while. would like to try one of the treble boosters, but am not sure which one to try.

FFOGG
04-13-2007, 09:32 PM
MOD50 ?Tom is this what you bought ???". and this is low volume or I am missing something ??

tom
04-13-2007, 10:47 PM
yes, mod 50. it responds wonderfully even at low volume.

mbrown3
04-13-2007, 11:46 PM
That (low volume response & tone) plus versatility is why I went with the MOD50, and I can't wait!

FFOGG
04-14-2007, 06:19 AM
ok just when i settled on the Bogner Duende after beating myself to death b/t a Mercury and Duende .............................:D lol lol

guitarzan
04-14-2007, 08:12 AM
I tried to warn you... ;)

mbrown3
04-14-2007, 09:22 AM
ok just when i settled on the Bogner Duende after beating myself to death b/t a Mercury and Duende .............................:D lol lol

I looked hard at the Bogner stuff too, but in the end, the ability to have four channels (plus more with different modules) of totally amazing sounding yet totally versatile amps, won out.

FFOGG
04-14-2007, 02:43 PM
This place is dangerous ...Are we talking about the Combo ??? I can't seem to find one on the web at Indoor Storm or the Amp ???? :confused:

mbrown3
04-14-2007, 03:07 PM
I ordered the head. I've always been a combo user, but it was Tom that convinced me to go for the head, he said it has a tighter low end that way, plus it will be easier on my back to carry two pieces rather than one (even if it takes more trips!). But yeah, there aren't any in stock anywhere that I could find. They told me 8 weeks, so I'm looking at end of May until mine is done. Can't wait!

FFOGG
04-14-2007, 10:08 PM
Ok iI am back on the fence ...I just got a Comet 20 that I really love but its too loud for my playing my ears and family cant do it ..There was the Bogner Duende ,Car Mercury and now the Egnator 2:confused: :o :confused: :( 600 is my limit ....no matter what unless I sell the Comet and Mesa LSS ..The Mesa is great but boy is it noisy at times but it overdrives well but the cleans are not 6V6 or 6l6 .

mbrown3
04-14-2007, 11:02 PM
600, or 2600 is your limit? I can't tell with all those smileys in between. 2600 would cover the Egnater, but 600 wouldn't. :)

FFOGG
04-15-2007, 05:39 AM
$2,650.99 To Be Exact

mbrown3
04-15-2007, 02:20 PM
That will cover the Egnater, and it would be well worth it...

guitarzan
04-15-2007, 11:00 PM
played with the T/D and the COD modules today. Very american sounding compared to the BMAN and SL2 modules I've been using for 18 months. Add some (a lot of) compression and it's crispy, twang city. Not to mention I'm using EL34's and the big 1x12 thumper cab. It sounds like a concoction of 5 of my favorite amps.

mbrown3
05-06-2007, 06:03 PM
Tom, do you use the MOD50 on low power or hi power setting? Just wondering if the hi power setting still can get quiet enough on the master and sound good.

tom
05-06-2007, 09:08 PM
i use the low power setting, but at lower volumes they are both about the same loudness. they feel different, and i like the softer feel of the low power.

mbrown3
05-28-2007, 10:36 PM
Man, the wait for mine is killing me! They're waiting on the reverb unit, I guess, the rest is ready to go. Hopefully it won't be long.

In the meantime, what's everyone's favorite module and why?

guitarzan
05-29-2007, 08:44 AM
Tone Nirvana= Bman/SL2

They share a similar EQ curve and sound wooly and warm together. Cleans are fat, warm cleans and drives are like melted chocolate being poured over a supermodel. Tones are nice and elastic. I'm uisng the 1x12 cab with a V30 and the whole rig is good enough to keep pedal boards at home from time to time.

kccheers
05-29-2007, 09:56 AM
Guitarzan, I tried to send you a pm ....but you are too full.

Off topic, but are you doing the Taylor Guitars Road Show? We have onr upcoming the 7th in Overland Park Ks and I was wondering if you would be there...

cheers from KC

guitarzan
05-29-2007, 10:07 AM
Guitarzan, I tried to send you a pm ....but you are too full.

Off topic, but are you doing the Taylor Guitars Road Show? We have onr upcoming the 7th in Overland Park Ks and I was wondering if you would be there...

cheers from KC

Sorry, I just deleted 51 messages, so I should be good now. I won't be doing any in Kansas. I did NY and PA and I leave on the 10th for New England. You'll probably get ToneLounge or Wayne Johnson or Marc Seal. Wayne and Marc have performance sections where they play to tracks, so that's pretty entertaining. Tonelounge helped design the stuff, so that's pretty entertaining, too. I'm just the Guitar Monkey. A guy in Shillington, Pennsylvania said that I'm there "just to diddle", whatever that means... :)

ToneLounge
05-29-2007, 10:42 AM
I use the DLX and SL the most, and occasionally throw in the VX or EG3/4 as an alternative to the SL.

KC - I'll be doing that Taylor Road Show on the 7th, Please come by and say hello!

kccheers
05-29-2007, 01:49 PM
I'll be there.

mbrown3
06-21-2007, 11:22 PM
Man, the wait for mine is killing me! They're waiting on the reverb unit, I guess, the rest is ready to go. Hopefully it won't be long.

And...still waiting! :confused:

mbrown3
08-11-2007, 10:27 AM
Finally got the MOD50. Drove down to the Amp Lounge yesterday and met Frank and Bruce and the others in the shop. Great group of people. Frank really took the time to show me the amp's features and just very helpful and friendly overall. Great customer service.

Got the amp and headed back home. I got the MOD50 head and a 112 cab, with four modules: TD, VX, SL, and COD. Last night I tried the TD and VX modules, but didn't have time to try the SL and COD. The TD and VX have thus far exceeded my expectations. I've had a Twin and a Deluxe in the past, and this nails both (subject to type of cab, etc.), but with more options since it also has the bright and bass boosts. Just great, great stuff. The VX blows me away. I've never tried a Vox that sounded this good. I'm sure you can find some really special examples of the old ones that sound superb and that all the recordings were done with, but this module sounds to me like what I always thought a Vox should sound like (if that makes sense). Sweet, perfect amount of bite, depending on where the gain is set, on the first channel you get a beautiful crisp clean tone, and on the 2nd channel you get a singing lead tone that just rides the edge of feedback. Just beauteous.

The cab is HUGE (size-wise). Biggst 112 cab I've ever seen. In fact, it's bigger than my entire 212 combo I have, control section and 2 speakers and all, and that's even on casters! (The cab is lighter, though). Just enormous. It looks like a large 212 cab to me, but it's got one Celestion Classic Lead 80, closed back with ports in the front. As Frank said, it's huge but once people hear it, they say, "I don't care how big it is." I can see why...sounds huge (because it is huge!). Almost like a half stack, and that's no exaggeration.

So many tonal options on one amp! I seriously looked at the Mesa Road King, despite all the other high end amps out there, it seemed to have the most tonal options (and I still love the idea of EL34s and 6L6s in the same amp, and mixing them). But with all of the outstanding reports on the MOD50, plus the modules, you truly can get four different amps in one (just like the Road King), plus you can just swap modules (which takes about 20 seconds) and have four more at your disposal. And changing tubes from EL34s to 6L6s takes about two minutes, so it's not that big of a deal. The only thing I'll miss from the Road King is the ability to mix them at one time...a compromise I'm more than willing to live with, considering how GOOD this amp sounds. Heck, I may even get the ERECT module at some point, to get that Mesa sound too. I opted for 6L6s here, but may try some EL34s soon just for fun.

The Atom and the MOD50 are a match made in heaven. Can't wait to try my Swan through it. I'll (hopefully) check out the SL and COD modules this afternoon/evening and will report back.

tom
08-11-2007, 11:49 AM
glad you finally got it. got a cod module myself to try this weekend. this is the perfect amp for people who like different stuff on different days, or just get bored. i am still amazed at how well it does all the different amp characters.

ToneLounge
08-11-2007, 09:20 PM
I'm going on 3.5 years with my MOD50 and could not be happier. I have the complete set of modules, but the DLX and SL get the bulk of the gigs. I agree with Tom, it's perfect for those times when you just need a change of inspiration.

It's the only amp I've ever gigged that sounds great in every venue, too.

Suriel Zayas
08-11-2007, 09:31 PM
in my current gig, half way through the set when it goes acoustic, the tech comes out and swaps the cod for the sl2. how cool.:cool:

tom
08-12-2007, 03:34 PM
2 modules, 4 great tones, but played all weekend on the b channel of the sl. this thing reacts like i'm playing way louder than i am. guitar volume control is all i need to clean it up.

mbrown3
08-13-2007, 12:26 PM
I'm going on 3.5 years with my MOD50 and could not be happier. I have the complete set of modules, but the DLX and SL get the bulk of the gigs. I agree with Tom, it's perfect for those times when you just need a change of inspiration.

It's the only amp I've ever gigged that sounds great in every venue, too.

Hey ToneLounge, what do you use to carry your extra modules? I hate having them loose, so I'm looking into getting an anti-static case to hold them in, something like http://www.casefoam.com/store/c7.html, but am open to suggestions if anyone has any.

guitarzan
08-13-2007, 12:51 PM
Hey ToneLounge, what do you use to carry your extra modules? I hate having them loose, so I'm looking into getting an anti-static case to hold them in, something like http://www.casefoam.com/store/c7.html, but am open to suggestions if anyone has any.

Actually, depending on where you are, The Container Store has some hardcases for sale with a selection of cases and foam lining that can be modified for your needs. I doubt that it's Military Spec durability, but as long as you're not parachuting into the Amazon with your Egnater Modules, you'd probably be just fine. The store locater is right here (http://www.containerstore.com/find/index.jhtml;jsessionid=VSLRBZFYBZ5TPQFIAILSM44AVAB BQJVC), or you could order online.

mbrown3
08-13-2007, 12:59 PM
Well, the ones I linked to are like $8 each, and they are anti-static and say they can withstand a chemical attack, lol. Totally unnecessary, of course, but I doubt I'll find a better price, even on something without the same specs.

guitarzan
08-13-2007, 01:00 PM
Well, the ones I linked to are like $8 each, and they are anti-static and say they can withstand a chemical attack, lol. Totally unnecessary, of course, but I doubt I'll find a better price, even on something without the same specs.

yeah, here's (http://www.containerstore.com/browse/Product.jhtml?searchId=10001875&itemIndex=2&CATID=231&PRODID=61536) the best I could fnd, and the foam is sold separately...

There's no mention of a chemical attack on the container store site... :)

ToneLounge
08-13-2007, 05:08 PM
Ha! You guys are so funny - GAS even when it comes to a way to carry modules...

Rubbermaid and bubble wrap here.

Although, I was working on a cool vertical stack box made of wood/tolex that matched the amp... too much work... Rubbermaid to the rescue!

mbrown3
08-28-2007, 08:24 AM
Wow, this amp just gets better the more I play with it. Just so many great tones to be had, and I'm having fun dialing them in. I'm not much of a knob tweaker, I tend to get frustrated when I don't get nice tones easily, so the idea of all the options was a little daunting. But it just sounds good everywhere I set it. Great stuff.

guitarzan
08-28-2007, 09:01 AM
I was just telling ToneLounge yesterday that I'm in a bonafide marriage with this amp now. Lots of respect and admiration, and a healthy amount of devotion even when things aren't perfect (which is a rarity).

Rest assured, I won't be sharing this little musical metaphor with my wife. If I used the word "marriage" in response to an amp, she'd flip.

mbrown3
08-29-2007, 10:20 AM
Nice...I can see why. It just does everything well, and each module has certain settings that just make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. After having it for a while, here are my thoughts on the various modules:

TD - Great, great stuff. Crisp cleans on the Twin side, great overdriven tones on the Deluxe side. Probably the one I use the most, just because it's got the great clean tones as well as the great dirt.

COD - a great complement to the TD, this takes the Fender vibe and pushes it to another level. Great grit and solid vibe to it. This is the one module I wasn't 100% sold on at first, but I knew that I should like it, in theory. So I kept tweaking it, and really was able to dial in some great tones. It did take some more fiddling than other modules, though.

VX - My other favorite module. Great chimey clean tones with a slight bit of grit on the clean side, a great complement to the TD for a different clean tone. On the pushed side, great singing sustainy lead tone that rides the edge of feedback...a beauteous tone.

SL - To me, this one sounds closest to the original that it's based on. It's almost like the others are slight variations or versions of the originals (and, in most cases, better...quite a bit better). This one seems like a direct clone to my ears. Clean and dirty sides both sound like the Marshall they're based on. Some great tones to be had, but this one also took a little bit of tweaking (though not as much as the COD did, for me).

I can't believe how much variation is possible with the bright and bass boost settings too. Just an incredible amount of tonal variation without being too complicated. I actually have fun tweaking this amp, where my enjoyment of tweaking and turning knobs for almost anything else faded years ago.

It LOVES the Atom, more than any of the rest of my guitars, though they all sound incredible through it. I don't have a strat style guitar to try through it (that will be my next, and final, item to complete my stable).

Only had two issues so far. One is a slight buzz from somewhere, only when I hit a low A on the 6th string. Lower, no buzz, higher, no buzz. Really weird kind of buzzy vibration that's happening only at that frequency. Almost like the bass is farting out, but only on that note. Very strange. The 2nd is that I can't get my Jamman to work through either of the loops. Frank said he'd troubleshoot both with me over the phone, but I haven't had a chance yet where I've had some time to call when I was home with the amp. Hopefully this week.

Safe to say that I've found my amp, after years of hunting. I'd really like to try the Bassman and the ERect modules, too. In time...

mbrown3
08-29-2007, 11:38 PM
Spent a lot of time with the COD tonight and had some heavenly tones. But I have a question. I got this set up with 6L6s...my fav choice in any amp for the high-headroom cleans. But the vast majority of people get the amp with EL34s, from what I understand. So is anyone else using 6L6s? I have a set of EL34s that I might throw in just to try for a while. Thoughts?

tom
08-30-2007, 10:37 AM
it's easy enough to change. the only 6l6's i had were
#1's so the amp was to squishy for me with them. i do like the el34's but would like to try a stronger set of 6l6's. might even try 6v's for fun. suriel, did you ever try the 6v's?

Suriel Zayas
08-30-2007, 10:45 AM
suriel, did you ever try the 6v's?

not yet. any feedback on the c.o.d.?

tom
08-30-2007, 11:14 AM
the clean channel was pretty good, but both channels are gainier than i would like. i'm back to the double a channel vox and the SL. it works wonderfully for me. the deluxe is great too, but i found i was making it sound too much like the sl.
i did have an interesting experience last weekend. we played in a different venue than our normal building, so i used my other cube since i leave the one i normally use at church and the other guys use it as well. anyway, my spare has a v30 and the one at church has a crex. i've now noticed that every time i use the v30 i'm not happy at all with the match up. it worked great with my other amp but not this one for me. i guess it should be obvious, but i tried to blame the unhappy tone on the venue. now it's been 3 venues all unhappy. i ordered another crex so i can have happy tone every where i go.

mbrown3
08-30-2007, 11:24 AM
I thought the same thing about the COD when I first tried it...a little too gainy. But after tweaking it for a bit, I was able to get the A channel to be a really cool rock tone with just the right amount of grit/dirt (similar to the Deluxe but with a less aggressive tone and different flavor). On the B channel I was able to get a real smooth, singing lead tone that reminded me a lot of my AC booster after being dialed in (the AC took a LOT of tweaking for me, but once 'there' it sounds just great), but different...better. I'm really digging it.

I originally was pairing the TD and the VX together, and the COD and the SL together. But now I've switched it up to have the TD and the COD together and the VX and the SL. That way I kind of get an American amp and a British one, but more importantly, they each have a really cool clean channel (the Twin side of TD, and the A channel of the VX), but different, and a more aggressive tone in the 2nd module. It's been working pretty well for me. My favorite lead tone though, in any of the modules, is the B channel of the VX. Just a beauteous tone. Sweet, smooth, just riding the edge of feedback. LOVE it.

chasyboy
08-31-2007, 11:40 AM
Ditto on the COD...at first it has a very 'modern', pleasing tone with plenty of push. Nice balance on the Channel A with Marshally, Boogieish, Soldano-y kinds of nuance. But I agree with Tom...more gainy than I'd like. However, with that said, I think it is Top 5 of all the modules for me.

To me, the SL1 is the way to go...covers all the bases for me and loves the few gain pedals I have left (sold 10 of them since I got the Mod 50). At first, I just liked playing Channel B of the SL for almost all the lead tones but have gone back to just a few pedals with the DLX and SL channel one. For country, Tele stuff, I am LOVING my Timmy pedal (which I had out of the board for a bit)....cuts so pure but back off on the volume and you got some nice finger pickin' vibe with guts.

Strat tones through the DLX if pure heaven for me...add a little edge with a Menatone Red Snapper and I get the full range of Fender tones that I like. I keep the Fulldrive II (Mosfet setting) around for those more compressed needs but rarely for solos...

Been playing a bit with the EG 3/4. I like how different it is from my usual favorites. Anyone try the EG 1/2? Is it lower gain than the 3/4?

Regarding the VX...I still could not get a tone that I loved. Don't get me wrong...cool vibe but to me, nothing like an AC30...just didn't 'feel' right to me but I'd use it in many occasions.

SOMEONE (Tom's got a CNC machine, right?) should design a 'caddy' for the modules with a simple folding handle on one side.

Thanks to Tom, Cory and Tonelounge for the introduction into the world of Egnater Mod 50...I spent a ton of years searching for both tone AND flexibility. I once had a pedal board, slightly smaller than Tom's to one I carry over my shoulder. I now have a host of vintage Fenders that are nice investments. Can't wait for the NEW module add-on so I can keep resident four amps, 8 sounds...at that point...maybe all I'll have in my pedal board is stuff that goes wicky wacky.

guitarzan
08-31-2007, 12:07 PM
...maybe all I'll have in my pedal board is stuff that goes wicky wacky.

This is where I've been for a long while. I just added an OD back on the board for a week or so, but now it'll probably go bye-bye again. I'm building a bigger board for the sole purpose of being able to add more swirly girly stuff.

Tom, I've had a V30 in my Egnater 1x12 for a year or so and absolutely love it. Now you have me concerned that a CREX might even be better. Thanks for poisoning the well... :o

On the COD/TD: I've tried them and still can't get it to feel right. I've been dialing in amps to sound just like the BMAN and SL2 for years and now that I've found it, it's hard for me to love appreciate much else. I have three other modules at my house right now that I swap in and out from time to time, but none of them do what I want them to do. Having said that, I haven't put any of the extra three through their paces at a gig yet. Home volumes are usually really low. Maybe if I popped in one of those at the next gig, I'd be able to appreciate them more.

GaryMcT
08-31-2007, 12:18 PM
Can't wait for the NEW module add-on so I can keep resident four amps, 8 sounds...at that point...maybe all I'll have in my pedal board is stuff that goes wicky wacky.

Any info on this new module add-on?

tom
08-31-2007, 01:15 PM
corey, your cab probably is fuller sounding than the bogner i have so that may help the v30. what i really love about the crex is the soft top end.
chasey, as for the vox, bruce may not want this known, but i think he's pretty open for mods. the stock vox wasn't working for me, it could be the combo of the rest of the rig. with the brite switch off i had to crank the treble and then the middle was gone. with the bright switch on, it was too much. he tamed my bright switch and made both channels the same as a, and it's perfect for me now.

mbrown3
08-31-2007, 01:19 PM
What is this module add-on you speak of? I've not heard about it. Is it conjecture, or confirmed?

guitarzan
08-31-2007, 01:26 PM
What is this module add-on you speak of? I've not heard about it. Is it conjecture, or confirmed?

Confirmed but not in production, so all bets are off until you see it on the site. (As is the fine print with company, right?) If I undersatnd right, lots of companies (TAG included) throw around ideas for new products and go through prototype production in an attempt to offer more/better products. Last I talked to Bruce, they were working on it, but I'm not privy to any behind-the-scenes details or anything so I can only offer what Bruce has said at NAMM last year and what I've heard from folks who know him. In short: I'm not a trusted source. :)

BUT

My understanding is that it is a single space unit that holds two modules and works with the loop of your Egnater, expanding the module # to 4 (and channels to 8). At NAMM last year, Bruce was throwing around the idea of including a boost in the circuitry, but I dunno if that was scrapped or not. If I understand correctly, it can be used in any amp that has an fx loop.

guitarzan
08-31-2007, 01:27 PM
and it makes really great deli sandwiches.

mbrown3
08-31-2007, 01:29 PM
Hmm, that would be very cool. I had originally asked them if they could mod an M4 preamp to fit into a MOD50 head, but they said no. Having the additional two modules would be just great. I'll keep my eyes open.

tom
08-31-2007, 02:11 PM
sounds like option anxiety for me:o and a fancier footswitch.

mbrown3
08-31-2007, 04:27 PM
corey, your cab probably is fuller sounding than the bogner i have so that may help the v30. what i really love about the crex is the soft top end.
chasey, as for the vox, bruce may not want this known, but i think he's pretty open for mods. the stock vox wasn't working for me, it could be the combo of the rest of the rig. with the brite switch off i had to crank the treble and then the middle was gone. with the bright switch on, it was too much. he tamed my bright switch and made both channels the same as a, and it's perfect for me now.

Hmm...I have a similar, but different, problem. I REALLY like the 2nd channel with the double bright boost, but then it's way too much bright for the first channel. I prefer the A channel on no boost, but then I feel like the B channel is missing some high end sheen. Maybe I'll have to have Bruce mod it for me.

tom
08-31-2007, 05:54 PM
he is a genius, and there are separate brite caps for each channel, so you could leave the clean alone and just change the od side.

tom
08-31-2007, 05:59 PM
i won't rescind the genius comment, but a more appropriate term might be he's a great planner. i am amazed at how versatile and modable this amp is.

mbrown3
08-31-2007, 06:00 PM
Hmm, I have to give them a call on Monday to talk about the buzz and Jamman issues, so while on with them, I can ask about that. I wonder if there's any easy mod I can do myself (without voiding a warranty), or if I'll have to take it in (or send in the module).

GaryMcT
08-31-2007, 06:13 PM
Ah! It's the M2 that you are referring to. He's said publically that he's working on it. It's half of an M4 basically.

Suriel Zayas
08-31-2007, 08:39 PM
Confirmed but not in production, so all bets are off until you see it on the site. (As is the fine print with company, right?) If I undersatnd right, lots of companies (TAG included) throw around ideas for new products and go through prototype production in an attempt to offer more/better products. Last I talked to Bruce, they were working on it, but I'm not privy to any behind-the-scenes details or anything so I can only offer what Bruce has said at NAMM last year and what I've heard from folks who know him. In short: I'm not a trusted source. :)

BUT

My understanding is that it is a single space unit that holds two modules and works with the loop of your Egnater, expanding the module # to 4 (and channels to 8). At NAMM last year, Bruce was throwing around the idea of including a boost in the circuitry, but I dunno if that was scrapped or not. If I understand correctly, it can be used in any amp that has an fx loop.

i did an amp show with bruce and frank and we did speak about it, but just speculation as far as i'm concerned. my discussions were the same as cory's.

regarding my experience with the mod50 is just bliss. as for the t/d and sl2 work well. however, i find some very useable tones out of the cod and can dial syrupie thick stuff with the b'man. for clean stuff give me the dlx side of the t/d with just enough grit. i'm currently running volume pedal and swurly gurly (g'zan) stuff on the loops. i keep a slot on the pedalboard for an od that i'm constantly swapping out, because i'm not committed to it.

regarding speaker, i'm definitely in love with the v30 in the huge sounding 1x12 cab, but........tom. now i'll have to start swapping out my crex.

it seems this amp has spoiled me for good and now rather than extra od's, i keep extra modules. question......the only module i haven't spent significant time with is the sl, can i get the some sl stuff out the sl2, for those who tried both? or does the sl2 start where the sl ends?

tom
09-01-2007, 10:14 AM
i only breifly tried the sl2, and the gain seemed pretty far above the sl. i end up with the sl b channel at 12:00 and it's great for me. at that level it's not big rich creamy solo tone, but an absolutely great big chord sound. single note lines cut really nicely. works unbelievably great for m1 neck pu solo tones. great oversize strat neck pu tones. probably should try the sl2 again. maybe the cod should go and i should try a different higher gain module

mbrown3
09-01-2007, 10:30 AM
Man, I spent some more time with the COD last night, it may be surpassing the VX as my favorite of the gainier modules. Admittedly, it took some dialing in, but once there, it sounds SO good. Great meaty crunch on the A channel and nice singing lead on the B channel. I think, like the AC booster, you can't set the gain too high, and you have to really use the tone controls. At first I kept trying to get its EQ curve to sound like the other modules, but once I stopped fighting to make it sound like something else, it's really got some huge tones. This one's a keeper for me.

One of the benefits of the MOD50 for me is that not everything does sound the same, thus giving me more tonal options. But I have to fight my natural instinct to try to EQ everything with the same curve.

guitarzan
09-01-2007, 11:12 AM
Man, I spent some more time with the COD last night, it may be surpassing the VX as my favorite of the gainier modules. Admittedly, it took some dialing in, but once there, it sounds SO good. Great meaty crunch on the A channel and nice singing lead on the B channel. I think, like the AC booster, you can't set the gain too high, and you have to really use the tone controls. At first I kept trying to get its EQ curve to sound like the other modules, but once I stopped fighting to make it sound like something else, it's really got some huge tones. This one's a keeper for me.

One of the benefits of the MOD50 for me is that not everything does sound the same, thus giving me more tonal options. But I have to fight my natural instinct to try to EQ everything with the same curve.

This is interesting to me as I pair up modules based on my idea of a complete amp. In a live setting, I want the EQ curves to be moderately similar, so I pull the mids way out of the SL2 when I'm using it with the BMAN (which is basically always). Yesterday I put in the T/D and the COD to pair those up and the COD has gobs of midrange, where the other module has a more obvious scooped midrange. I understand that as solo/lead tone should have more midrange to cut better in the mix, but I don't want the sound of the amp to change dramatically. I just want "more" and "louder" (two different things to me). So yesterday, I had a newfound respect for the T/D and COD. Those are definitely going in the next Egnater Expansionometergraph (I'm not sure it's actually called that- just speculation on my part). However, T/D channel A is great clean, I set the B channel for my crunch and COD channel A is solo. Channel B -even with the bright/bass switches off and with the gain turned down- is still pretty noisy with my rig. (and by my rig, I mean enough compression to squish a car).

mbrown3
09-01-2007, 11:18 AM
This is interesting to me as I pair up modules based on my idea of a complete amp. In a live setting, I want the EQ curves to be moderately similar, so I pull the mids way out of the SL2 when I'm using it with the BMAN (which is basically always). Yesterday I put in the T/D and the COD to pair those up and the COD has gobs of midrange, where the other module has a more obvious scooped midrange. I understand that as solo/lead tone should have more midrange to cut better in the mix, but I don't want the sound of the amp to change dramatically. I just want "more" and "louder" (two different things to me). So yesterday, I had a newfound respect for the T/D and COD. Those are definitely going in the next Egnater Expansionometergraph (I'm not sure it's actually called that- just speculation on my part). However, T/D channel A is great clean, I set the B channel for my crunch and COD channel A is solo. Channel B -even with the bright/bass switches off and with the gain turned down- is still pretty noisy with my rig. (and by my rig, I mean enough compression to squish a car).

Yeah, by "EQing the same," I meant to say that I was, like Tom, trying to EQ out the COD to sound too much like the SL at first...and in order to do that, I had to skew the EQ controls to pretty extreme settings. Once I set them back where they were designed and listened to them as their own flavor, I really was able to appreciate it. I have the COD gain on channel A set pretty low, and maybe 2 or 3 oclock on the B channel.

Of course, as you mention, the total rig makes a big difference too, and I'm using the Egnater 112 cab, constantly have a Tone Press running but set pretty low with the blend, and the Launch Pad cooking the tubes at the end of the chain. And I'm running 6L6's, though I plan to try some EL34s tomorrow after church. I also find that I have to really adjust the EQ depending on the guitar I'm using, too. I have it set up mostly for my Atom, but when I switch to the Swan I have to readjust because of its significantly different character.

bruce egnater
09-01-2007, 04:50 PM
Seems the interest may be there to do an amp building seminar at TAG!!! We would love to do this but....we really need to know very soon, on a scale of 1 to 10 ( being least likely to attend), how serious everyone is about attending. It would be sometime in November (no date yet). This is kind of a big deal for us to "take it on the road" so we need to know how many of you can really make it. Cost for the TAG class is
$2050.

Please email begnater@aol.com or visit egnater.com for info.

mbrown3
09-03-2007, 02:47 AM
Didn't get a chance to swap the tubes out today to try some EL34s in there...hopefully tomorrow. But one thing I have noticed is that I can replicate almost all of my OD pedals through the modules, except the Small Fry. Man, that thing sounds good. And it's a great pair with any of the modules, on any setting. If I want a cool boost lead tone to push a clean channel, it gives me that. If I have a dripping lead tone already going with a module, the SF gives me an extra serving of rich harmonics on top of it. It just sounds good everywhere. If I can replicate its tone with one of the modules I don't have yet (ERECT, EG3/4, MHG), then maybe I'll ship it off with the others (which are soon to be gone, most likely, since I can replicate their tones pretty well, usually better)...otherwise, it will be the only one I keep. I've never had tone this good, despite some pretty nice gear, and I've never had so much fun just playing around with a piece of gear.

Guitarzan, I keep going back to your comment, "When my Egnater comes back this week, you'll hear the sky open up and the angels playing air guitar." I now know exactly what you mean...

GaryMcT
09-04-2007, 01:47 PM
You guys are killing me! I'd like to make the upgrade from Randall modular to Egnater in a while (if this game that we are finishing up sells well! :) ). I have a 50-watt, 2 module Randall combo, a 4 module rack Randall preamp, and a homebrew 1x12 cab with a greenback in it. I only use the combo for the poweamp at the moment (I don't like the sound of the open-backed combo with the stock speaker that is in there). The combo has 6v6's in it currently, which I really like. What would you guys do? Get an M4 and a poweramp and make a small rack with a pedal drawer and a single rack fx unit, or a head? I like the idea of running two modules in stereo, whcih I could do with an M4 and my exisiting RM4 if I go the small rack route. Another good thing about the rack route is that I can build it incrementally (ie. Get an M4 and use it with all the stuff that I use now.)

mbrown3
09-04-2007, 01:52 PM
I can't speak to the M4 itself, as I haven't tried one, but I've read that it sounds different even when paired with a good power amp. Personally, I would go with the head (and DID go with the head, lol), so that I know all of Bruce's genius is in there. YMMV...

GaryMcT
09-04-2007, 07:33 PM
I can't speak to the M4 itself, as I haven't tried one, but I've read that it sounds different even when paired with a good power amp. Personally, I would go with the head (and DID go with the head, lol), so that I know all of Bruce's genius is in there. YMMV...

That sounds reasonable. It would also give me the ability to just take the head and a 1x12 with a footswitch when that is appropriate. If I want to toy with stereo with two different modules, I can use the existing combo for one side.

Are most folks using the oversized Egnater 1x12 cabs?

mbrown3
09-18-2007, 11:07 AM
OK, I've had the EL34s running for about a week now...this amp loves them (of course, it seems to love everything!). In other amps I've had, the EL34s seem to break up too much and you lose some of that pristine clean headroom that I'd get with 6L6s/5881s. But in this case, most of the ultra clean character is preserved, with just extra bit of push. Great for rock and classic rock stuff. The VX and SL modules LOVE the EL34s, the TD and COD only slightly less so. Too bad the MOD50 doesn't have tube choice options like the Road King. It would be cool to have 6L6s for the TD and COD modules, and EL34s for the VX and SL. Of course, rebiasing is no big deal (and this amp makes it easy), but to have both on board (and even the ability to combine them) would be great.

In any case, I think I'll run the EL34s for a little while longer, maybe test with the various settings of bias within the selected range. Then I'll go back to the 6L6s for a little while and do the same. I'm having so much fun with this amp, and have never sounded so good. It especially loves the Atom, but my Swan sounds great through it too. David Myka is building me an axe too, that I can't wait to hear through it (should be done Oct or Nov).

GaryMcT
09-18-2007, 04:00 PM
What speaker are you guys using in the Egnater 1x12 cab? I'm contemplating the heritage version of the greenback since I don't usually play at massive volumes. I have an old Ampeg v4 4x12 I can use if I ever need more volume.

tom
09-18-2007, 04:55 PM
i'm using the bogner cab, but i really think the c rex speaker does nice things at not loud volume.

GaryMcT
09-18-2007, 04:59 PM
i'm using the bogner cab, but i really think the c rex speaker does nice things at not loud volume.

What's in the bogner?

mbrown3
09-18-2007, 05:19 PM
Mine has the Classic Lead 80 and I love it. I've done lots of testing with various speakers and amps (specifically Celestion and Weber speakers), and I really like the CL80 and Alnico Blue. I was never able to get on board with the Vintage 30...always sounded like something was missing to me. I also loved Weber's Blue Dog (version of the celestion alnico blue)...so much so that I might try swapping it into this cab at some point, though I might try the ceramic version since it's described as having more headroom than its alnico counterpart.

Of course, speakers will always sound different depending on the cab, guitar, and amp, so these are just generalities. But just like with cables, it's worth doing some testing once the rest of the signal chain is decided.

kurt1981
09-18-2007, 05:22 PM
You guys are making me want to try one of these amps!! I wish there was a way to hear it in action. Can anyone tell me, is there any module that'll get me into the dumble type overdrive that fat midrangey responsive sound? Any of the on-line clips I've heard sound more of the marshall or cranked fender camp, a bit more aggressive than what I'm after.
Thanks,
Kurt

mbrown3
09-18-2007, 05:27 PM
I think the COD is designed to do just that, but in my experience with it, it takes some tweaking to get that dumble sound...with that being defined as what I've heard on recordings, since I have not (of course) played one in person.

Also, as I'm finding is the case with all of Egnater's modules, there seems to just be MORE. What I mean is, I can get the tones they are 'modeled' after, but they can do so much more than those (no one trick pony, to say the least), and it ALL sounds good. In fact, I have a hard time trying to get a bad sound (I was bored yesterday).

I can say unequivocally that if you can't play one, it's worth ordering sight unseen. I did, and I've never been happier with an amp as I am with this one. It's here to stay, like my Atom.

tom
09-18-2007, 06:46 PM
i'd have to agree. they all sound good and go farther than the originals go. a deluxe never sounded as big as the module does. it's a matter of what kind of good you're looking for. you could get two modules and never look back. it's more great tones than you'll get with any 2 amps. but if you get bored or just want to change it up, swap a module and you have a another amp. i guess what i'm trying to say is if you're not a tweaker, it covers anything you could want. if you are a tweaker, it's heaven.

Suriel Zayas
09-18-2007, 07:46 PM
What's in the bogner?

i think tom has the bogner cube loaded with a c-rex. my egnater oversized cab is loaded with a v30. :cool: however, i might go swap-happy soon with tom's review of the c-rex with the egnater.

guitarzan
09-19-2007, 07:38 AM
my 1x12 has the V30 as well. And I love it love it love it. I'm a few weeks away from my 2-year anniversary with this amp. I might buy it a ring or something.

GaryMcT
09-19-2007, 01:04 PM
I've never owned a v30. How does it compare to a greenback? I notice it is higher wattage. Does it give up the goods at lowish volume like a greenback?

chasyboy
09-19-2007, 05:17 PM
What speaker are you guys using in the Egnater 1x12 cab? I'm contemplating the heritage version of the greenback since I don't usually play at massive volumes. I have an old Ampeg v4 4x12 I can use if I ever need more volume.

Celestion 80 that came loaded in my Fat Boy 1x12. When Tone Lounge and Guitarzan told me about this cab...I was like, 'yeah, right...1 x12'...I need at least 2x12 or 4x10. But I like the idea of having a light rig so I went for it. WOW...I could not be happier. With the diffuser in the cab, you can stick a mic anywhere (which is what you get and most halls) and it sounds great. This cab has all the kick and smoothness of anything I've played. I was a bit worried with the close back design and some of them can really sound boxy...this Mojo Cab is so sweet.

I just got a clamshell Studio Slip Covers in a chocolate brown that looks so sweet and keeps it completely sealed from dust and double padding for hauling.

Honestly, I'm trying to find reasons NOT to take this amp to a gig but now it's getting harder and harder. When I 'think' of a sound, I can make it happen with a few tweaks.

Recently played at a huge outdoor NASCAR gig and the sound was piped out to the 45K people all around and all I got was a line check. Played my first chord and noticed that I needed a bit more bottom end then the last setting in the rehearsal place, hit the bass boost to the #1 click, pulled the density down (to tighten up the bottom boost) and turned her up. Oh, man what tone...sounded just like what I want my Tele to sound like live.

Now I just have to figure out how to go STEREO Egnater then I'll be done. http://andersonforum.com/board/images/icons/icon7.gif

GaryMcT
09-19-2007, 05:21 PM
Celestion 80 that came loaded in my Fat Boy 1x12. When Tone Lounge and Guitarzan told me about this cab...I was like, 'yeah, right...1 x12'...I need at least 2x12 or 4x10. But I like the idea of having a light rig so I went for it. WOW...I could not be happier. With the diffuser in the cab, you can stick a mic anywhere (which is what you get and most halls) and it sounds great. This cab has all the kick and smoothness of anything I've played. I was a bit worried with the close back design and some of them can really sound boxy...this Mojo Cab is so sweet.

I just got a clamshell Studio Slip Covers in a chocolate brown that looks so sweet and keeps it completely sealed from dust and double padding for hauling.

Honestly, I'm trying to find reasons NOT to take this amp to a gig but now it's getting harder and harder. When I 'think' of a sound, I can make it happen with a few tweaks.

Recently played at a huge outdoor NASCAR gig and the sound was piped out to the 45K people all around and all I got was a line check. Played my first chord and noticed that I needed a bit more bottom end then the last setting in the rehearsal place, hit the bass boost to the #1 click, pulled the density down (to tighten up the bottom boost) and turned her up. Oh, man what tone...sounded just like what I want my Tele to sound like live.

Now I just have to figure out how to go STEREO Egnater then I'll be done. http://andersonforum.com/board/images/icons/icon7.gif

Is the 1x12 you are talking about the oversized Egnater 1x12?

guitarzan
09-19-2007, 05:26 PM
I'm pretty sure it is.

mbrown3
09-20-2007, 10:46 PM
Yeah, I was actually looking for a 112, even though I'm used to 212s. I wanted something a lot smaller and lighter to take to gigs (which for me are mostly church and smaller venues). So when I saw the Egnater 112, I was shocked at how big it is. I have a 212 combo and the Egnater 112 cab is bigger than the entire amp! However, the weight is definitely not bad, and once I heard it, I was sold. And frankly, the head and cab just LOOK so cool together. All in all I'm 100% satisfied. I may have Bruce mod some of the EQ settings in some of the modules (between A and B channels), but that's only for preference issues...they already sound so good that it's hard to complain at all, so I think I'm just nitpicking. Can't wait to get my hands on the ERECT and (especially) BMAN modules.

kccheers
09-26-2007, 01:08 PM
Well, I called and ordered a MOD50 head and 2x12 cab from Frank today. What a cool guy, fits right in with this group. He asked what guitars I played and that's when "his" overdrive kicked in. He couldn't say enough good about TAG guitars. Anywho, the wait begins. Not bad though, he said about 8 weeks.

Hey E, are ya gassin' yet?:D :D :D

Cheers from KC

Suriel Zayas
09-26-2007, 01:58 PM
2x12 cab

that's goona be thumping!!!!! my 1x12 thumps, imagine a 2x12.

GaryMcT
09-26-2007, 03:06 PM
Well, I called and ordered a MOD50 head and 2x12 cab from Frank today. What a cool guy, fits right in with this group. He asked what guitars I played and that's when "his" overdrive kicked in. He couldn't say enough good about TAG guitars. Anywho, the wait begins. Not bad though, he said about 8 weeks.

Hey E, are ya gassin' yet?:D :D :D

Cheers from KC

Which modules did you pick?

kccheers
09-26-2007, 03:26 PM
I'm starting with the Bassman and the SL2. Notice I said "starting", lol. That's where I think the fun will come in, being able to ad modules, basically a different amp, for not a lot of $$$.

GaryMcT
09-26-2007, 04:36 PM
Yup, you guys are killing me again. I still haven't ordered a MOD50 yet. I still have to decide if that's what I want, or more guitars! There's an Andy classic ash body/maple neck that has my name on it. :)

guitarzan
09-26-2007, 07:31 PM
I'm starting with the Bassman and the SL2. Notice I said "starting", lol. That's where I think the fun will come in, being able to ad modules, basically a different amp, for not a lot of $$$.

this has been my go-to recipe for a couple of years now. Great first choice, in my opinion.

GaryMcT
09-26-2007, 07:34 PM
this has been my go-to recipe for a couple of years now. Great first choice, in my opinion.

How gainy is the SL2 compared to SL? I currently use a Randall Plexi and Randall SL+. . I wonder if either the Egnater SL or SL2 covers both of those tones well? I guess I should ask Frank when I get around to ordering. :)

guitarzan
09-26-2007, 07:39 PM
How gainy is the SL2 compared to SL? I currently use a Randall Plexi and Randall SL+. . I wonder if either the Egnater SL or SL2 covers both of those tones well? I guess I should ask Frank when I get around to ordering. :)

I feel like it's not so much gain as it is compression. I'm sure there's some crossover between a gained up SL and a backed-off SL2, but I think the SL2 is squishier, which is my bag.

mbrown3
09-26-2007, 07:46 PM
I found the SL2 too noisy/gainy for my taste. I have a Tone Press for the compression factor (I know, different kind of compression!), but for me the SL was just right, the SL2 a little too much, if that makes sense.

I've been running EL34s for a couple of weeks now and really like this amp with them, when I haven't liked any other amp with them before. I've been having so much fun with the COD module and these tubes...just great stuff.

tom
09-26-2007, 10:44 PM
i think we should talk blockbuster into carrying the modules. imagine checking out a different module every weekend...

mbrown3
09-26-2007, 10:58 PM
That would be awesome. They'd have the clean modules up front and the dirty ones in the back... ;)

guitarzan
09-27-2007, 09:02 AM
I'm not sure how serious Frank was, or what the logistics would be, but there was talk of instituting a Module-of-the-Month club, where subscribers could try modules. Modules are more tasty than Jelly.

But I have to say, I'm sitting on three other modules right now (well, not literally) and I keep coming back to my BMAN and SL2. I'm just thankful that the MOD50 was able to deliver that sound I hear in my head. The versatility is cool, but I value the fact that I was able to find my sound in its capabilities.

mbrown3
10-04-2007, 02:42 PM
OK, so I love the distorted tones so much on the Egnater that I'm going to get rid of all of my pedals except the Small Fry (even my revered Mesa V-Twin, I think, since I'm just not using it with the incredible sounds of the MOD50). The only things I'll need, then, are delays, chorus, etc. I've been thinking about picking up a TC G-System, since it has those built in, and also incorporates channel switching...and the really big plus is that you can store the amp channel switching and effects into a preset, which would be really useful for me...not to mention saving me tons of space.

I thought about starting a new thread about this, but that's been done...what I'm really interested in is whether anyone is actually using a G-System with the MOD50? The sound quality of TC's stuff that I've used has been superb, so my only real concerns are 1. how it functions in the 'real world' with an amp like the MOD50, and 2. does it have that 'computer-y' sound quality that many floor processors have, even if the individual effects are of high quality? Anyone using a G-System with their MOD50?

GaryMcT
10-04-2007, 05:58 PM
Not exactly what you are asking, but I used a GeForce with an Egnater IE4 in the past and it sounded absolutely horrible. Really really bad analog<->digital converters on the GeForce. I hope that the G-System sounds better.