PDA

View Full Version : Tom's Own Guitar (09-TOM-02)

Johnny Cobra
02-10-2004, 08:55 AM
Hi Tom what exactly were you anticipating by making (09-TOM-02), i.e the Thicker Body + Hollow Body + Solid Rosewood Neck + Alder Body...

Please elaborate upon the inspiration for this guitar...

What was your reaction to the finished product?

I am thinking of ordering a Hollow Cobra (Thicker Mahogany Body) i am looking for more of a Jazz / Blues sound (ala Gibson ES / CS series) and i am curious as to how the thicker body (therefore larger Sound chambers???) influences the sound of articulations...

tom
02-10-2004, 11:51 AM
i've been playing various cobra's for the past 5 years. i've always been after a bit tighter bottom end, but without losing the sweet top end. as i am also getting older, a lighter guitar wouldn't be a bad thing.
since the hollowing tends to pull a bit of middle out, a was hoping for a tighter feeling bottom end. it did that, but it lost a just a bit of the sweetness on th top end. the rosewood neck was also for bottom end firming.
the thicker body is strictly a feel thing. have played lots of acoustic guitar, i'm used to having the strings further away from my body. i don't believe that the fatter body contibutes much of anything to the sound. i think the top being freed up does more than the size of the chambers.
we have not offered the fatter bodies to the world.
i think i would go for a hollow cobra with a fixed bridge for your application.

sylvanshine
02-10-2004, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by Johnny Cobra
I am thinking of ordering a Hollow Cobra (Thicker Mahogany Body) i am looking for more of a Jazz / Blues sound (ala Gibson ES / CS series) and i am curious as to how the thicker body (therefore larger Sound chambers???) influences the sound of articulations...
I have the same PAF-replica pickups in a Hollow Cobra and a CS-336, so perhaps I can steer you.

Go Hollow Cobra!

More resonance, more tones, better tuning stability, build options (necks, bridges, colors).

336 is great for those of us that a Les Paul is too heavy and a 335 is too large. But the Hollow Cobra can't be beat. Get one with the PowerBridge. You won't be sorry.