PDA

View Full Version : Anderson Custom Inlays?

Johnny Cobra
02-10-2004, 08:46 AM
Hello...
I am asking anyone whether or not they have had custom inlays on any of their Anderson guitars?

If so what was the process involved...

I am thinking of getting some pictorial inlays on a Solid Rosewood Neck (without Dots)

Feel free to comment / offer an opinion...

Thanx

LeonC
02-22-2004, 12:02 PM
If Tom isn't interested, you may want to contact Ron Thorn, in Glendale, CA

http://www.thornguitars.com/inlay_gallery.htm

You will not find anyone who does better work.

Stan Malinowski
02-22-2004, 03:12 PM
I will agree with Leon - Ron Thorn does some KILLER inlay work.

So Johnny C, care to share your ideas for a custom inlay?:D I might consider having the Anderson "A" inlayed at the first fret. I guess a Cobra would be pretty cool to have inlayed at the first fret on a Cobra model.

tom
02-22-2004, 03:21 PM
we have not offered any inlay otions. we had a small job done for an artist by a veryt reputable inlayer, not ron. the fingerboard radius was ruined, and i was very bummed. since there are only so many hours in a day, we have shied away from decorative things that will slow us down. the backorder time is as long as i am comfortable with. i would entertain work done by ron, i a have seenexamples of his work and it is very nice.

BrianH
02-22-2004, 04:33 PM
Over the years, and over a course of ordering hundreds of Andersons, I have always stuck with the concept that less is best.
Guess that's why I've never cared for Birds or L.P. Customs....too much cluter on the fret board.
Just my opinion.

BFC
02-22-2004, 04:47 PM
I could go for abalone face and side dots maybe but that's about as far as I would take it.

Johnny Cobra
02-22-2004, 05:58 PM
I was thinking of getting a white tiger inlayed across the middle of the neck...

Tom Gross
02-22-2004, 07:31 PM
Now a rosewood neck with no inlays would look cool on a Cobra, I reckon.

LeonC
02-22-2004, 07:38 PM
I don't think Ron's gonna copy anyone else's artwork, but I'm sure he can some up with something as striking as Dave McNaught's tigers.

Another thing worth noting. I've been told inlay work should be done before the neck is fretted.

FWIW, I know you didn't ask, but I've had a complex inlay pattern on a neck before...hated it. Maybe if it was all I played I'd get used to it but I have other guitars and I had a real hard time going back to this guitar with the complex inlay...very hard to find my way around.

Tom (A) - I'll try to bring my Thorn guitars by your shop sometime; I think you'll enjoy them...quite different from what you do, obviously, but the same quality and attention to detail is really there.

tom
02-22-2004, 09:02 PM
yes any inlay work needs to b done before fretwork. i'd love to see rons guitars. his shop is only about an hour away from me, but we've never gotten together.
somehow the really fancy thing doesn't feel like me at all.

LeonC
02-22-2004, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by tom
yes any inlay work needs to b done before fretwork. i'd love to see rons guitars. his shop is only about an hour away from me, but we've never gotten together.
somehow the really fancy thing doesn't feel like me at all.

Well then...I guess that must be why we don't see you doing it. ;) It's cool, we all love your guitars for what they are.

You'll dig Ron's guitars...maybe not anything you'd want to build or play yourself, but the workmanship is tip top. The best sounding one I've heard (coincidentally, I own it, heheh) has your pickups in it too ;) !

michaelomiya
02-23-2004, 02:56 AM
Originally posted by BrianH
Over the years, and over a course of ordering hundreds of Andersons, I have always stuck with the concept that less is best.
Guess that's why I've never cared for Birds or L.P. Customs....too much cluter on the fret board.
Just my opinion.

hey, did anyone ask you?!?:p :D ;)
seriously, I too share the same opinion that less truly IS more. However, those birds on the PRS' sure are pretty!! Subtle, yet attractive.

BrianH
02-23-2004, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by michaelomiya
hey, did anyone ask you?!?:p :D ;)
seriously, I too share the same opinion that less truly IS more. However, those birds on the PRS' sure are pretty!! Subtle, yet attractive.
Crap, I'd better cancel the custom order you just made for the "Big Mike" custom scroll inlay on your new fretboard.
We better call Daniel first (wink).

michaelomiya
02-23-2004, 11:29 PM
Crap, I'd better cancel the custom order you just made for the "Big Mike" custom scroll inlay on your new fretboard.
We better call Daniel first (wink).

doh! OK, I'm sorry, please sir, I'm really, really, sorry. NOT Daniel... no more jokes.....(snivel, snivel).....

Man, Brian that reference puts EVERYTHING into perspective!!;)

BrianH
02-24-2004, 11:23 PM
Not for long though.
Bye bye to Daniel, and red tape , and corporations trying to run guitar shops (or at least properly run a shop worth a crap). Goodbye to the those that had a good thing in the palm of their hands and decided that they knew better (although statistics show different).
We made a difference once.
I could go on and on and on......but would it do any good.

michaelomiya
02-25-2004, 04:18 AM
Not for long though.
Bye bye to Daniel, and red tape , and corporations trying to run guitar shops (or at least properly run a shop worth a crap). Goodbye to the those that had a good thing in the palm of their hands and decided that they knew better (although statistics show different).
We made a difference once.

OK, I definitely like where you're going w/ the first couple of statements, and agree whole heartedly. It's the tone of the last sentence that makes me worried.:rolleyes: :confused: Looks like a phone call's in order....

slowburn
07-01-2004, 09:20 AM
on option of having abalone dots would look cool an a rosewood board. they look classy without being gaudy, IMO. I don't feel those are "too fancy" especially for the money one pays for a boutique guitar. I would love to see this become an option. but I understand where tom is coming from, it's his name on the headstock, the guitars should reflect his tastes...

ryman150
07-01-2004, 06:20 PM
I would definately agree that abalone dots would be an awesome option. They're subtle, yet they show glamour, and make the guitar shine just a bit more.

Ryan