PDA

View Full Version : Free Advice

JohnnyBeck
01-09-2007, 04:52 PM
Love your neighbor.

I just figured I could add something to this topic since there wasn't anything in here for a while. Hah!

Later taters,
Johnny

Pietro
01-09-2007, 05:15 PM
INCREDIBLY good advice, Johnny! Thanks!

mbrown3
01-09-2007, 05:39 PM
There has to be a catch...this can't really be free! :D

jimmieb
01-21-2007, 11:23 PM
There has to be a catch...this can't really be free! :D

Free to us... but I think it cost someone His life.

Jimmie B

mbrown3
01-21-2007, 11:58 PM
Right on, but only by choice. And I couldn't be more thankful...

And, one way or another, it's good advice!

tmihm
01-26-2007, 12:24 PM
Love your neighbor.

Johnny
...as opposed to 'Covet'. :eek: :D

Just kidding....and great advice.

JohnnyBeck
01-26-2007, 01:02 PM
Yeah...see that's it. If you all would love your neighbor (ahem...me) I wouldn't be tempted to covet your TAG's anymore.. hahahaha...

You guys are great,
j

Mystroe
04-27-2007, 03:40 PM
It's probably most important to love the neighbor when they have done the bi-anual act of stupidity, that would merrit a well deserved response in the shadow of said deed. I feel wise when I look back at what I did'nt say, and i'm sure I approach the line from time to time;in some neighbors opinion. Mystoe

rockjock
07-23-2007, 11:32 PM
Similarly, when dealing with stressful situations, I try to remember to " . . . never miss an opportunity to shut the heck up!"

kurt1981
12-31-2007, 04:18 PM
Hey guys, I wanted to post about something that's weighed on my mind for a bit now. I did a gig this summer at a local Catholic church carnival. We set up, and were plugging in when I noticed that the power running to where we were was nothing more than a piece of 14 gauge indoor wire, with an outlet box affixed to the end of it. It was clouding up, and looked like rain, and this wire is running through about 100 feet of outdoor air. I mentioned it to someone, and they assured us it was okay. Well, there was some rain and lightning, and we didn't want to mess with it, but we were asked to play, so we fired up the amps. Within a few seconds, our keyboardist saw sparks in his keyboard, and the end result was he fried the computer in the keyboard, costing $300 in damages. We didn't play the gig, and figured we wouldn't charge them for the time we were there, but that they would pay for the damage. Well, they did not, and refused to pay. After a lot of deliberation, we decided to let it go, but I just wanted to share and see what you guys thought. I guess the moral is always always get a signed contract protecting yourself from such things.

Kurt

pipedwho
12-31-2007, 07:13 PM
Hey guys, I wanted to post about something that's weighed on my mind for a bit now. I did a gig this summer at a local Catholic church carnival. We set up, and were plugging in when I noticed that the power running to where we were was nothing more than a piece of 14 gauge indoor wire, with an outlet box affixed to the end of it. It was clouding up, and looked like rain, and this wire is running through about 100 feet of outdoor air. I mentioned it to someone, and they assured us it was okay. Well, there was some rain and lightning, and we didn't want to mess with it, but we were asked to play, so we fired up the amps. Within a few seconds, our keyboardist saw sparks in his keyboard, and the end result was he fried the computer in the keyboard, costing $300 in damages. We didn't play the gig, and figured we wouldn't charge them for the time we were there, but that they would pay for the damage. Well, they did not, and refused to pay. After a lot of deliberation, we decided to let it go, but I just wanted to share and see what you guys thought. I guess the moral is always always get a signed contract protecting yourself from such things.

Kurt
If that cable was the cause of your keyboard blowing up, then it is probably wired between two of the phases on a 3-phase connection which is closer to 210V than 120V. I've seen this before, when someone didn't understand the need for a delta/star transformer to create a neutral. It can also happen if something goes seriously wrong inside the transformer (but, that usually results in a drop in output voltage). This is a very DANGEROUS situation, and should be checked by an electrician. They should also pay for your gear if this was the cause. (You can check this with a multi-meter.)

However, if the above wasn't the cause. eg. if it was caused by a lightning strike on the council power lines. Then, the venue really can't be blamed. Yes, they could have had huge lightning arrestors installed, but I would never assume a venue was this well protected.

I always pre-test venue outlets with a little outlet-tester that I bought years ago from a hardware store. It also has the benefit of telling whether the ground line is connected on the outlet, and if the active/neutral wiring is correct, it also has lights for over and under voltage. A very useful little tool to prevent damage to gear, or worse yet, electrocution. If you don't already have one of these, go and buy one. Radio Shack/Tandy or the equivalent should have these or something similar.

Some further advice for the guitarists out there with vintage amps: make sure it is properly grounded (some old amps where built before earthing became a regulatory requirement). And NEVER break the power ground to reduce hum - no matter how convenient it is, or how well it works. This is what DI and Isolator boxes with ground lifts were designed for. ;)

Kurt, please check with the venue that this will be looked into. Because, whether or not you get your equipment costs reimbursed (and I hope that you do), it is worth it to prevent somebody from getting injured or killed.

kurt1981
01-01-2008, 11:04 PM
I certainly will and thanks. I am pretty certain they wired it wrong, since it was an obvious afterthought, and they had no outdoor power, but I think it's too late to mess with now. Luckily the keyboardist was quite rich, and could afford it. I will buy a tester though, for sure, and I keep a power conditioner on hand always now,
Kurt