PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Z

Casper
02-09-2004, 08:40 AM
Its rig-changing time for me...I recently had the pleasure of playing an 18watt DrZ 210 combo (unsure of the name). I LOVED it.
I have been playing a Peavey Classic 30 for over 10 years now. It has been a solid amp and has never failed me once; however, even after I hot rodded it with Teslas and upgraded the speaker, I am never able to turn it up past 3 on stage (very loud).
I guess the attraction is the lower wattage makes the tubes work harder and the warmth of the Dr Z sings out..

Another point, I have a friend who would sell me an old Fender pro reverb? (22 watts), that sounds nearly as good. I could get this amp for under 600 vs. almost 1800 for the Dr Z.
Anybody have opinions about this. Its a foregone conclusion that I'll have to use distortion pedals too. I won't color the good tube tone this time with digital....Feel free to chime in on that...

killerburst
02-09-2004, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by Casper
Its rig-changing time for me...I recently had the pleasure of playing an 18watt DrZ 210 combo (unsure of the name). I LOVED it.
I have been playing a Peavey Classic 30 for over 10 years now. It has been a solid amp and has never failed me once; however, even after I hot rodded it with Teslas and upgraded the speaker, I am never able to turn it up past 3 on stage (very loud).
I guess the attraction is the lower wattage makes the tubes work harder and the warmth of the Dr Z sings out..

Another point, I have a friend who would sell me an old Fender pro reverb? (22 watts), that sounds nearly as good. I could get this amp for under 600 vs. almost 1800 for the Dr Z.
Anybody have opinions about this. Its a foregone conclusion that I'll have to use distortion pedals too. I won't color the good tube tone this time with digital....Feel free to chime in on that...

"Old" could mean anything, but Blackface-era Pro Reverbs are basically Super Reverbs (40W) with 2- 12" speakers. Or to look at it another way- a Twin Reverb with smaller trannies and only two power tubes. They are amazing amps, and worth 3 times what he's asking if in decent condition. If that's what he has, you should buy it and sell it to me. I'll give you $700 for it! ; ) Barber Direct Drive is a great choice for a blackface Fender.

Casper
02-09-2004, 11:02 AM
Hey Killerburst--Maybe I was wrong on the name (never owned any tubed fenders.)
I've played it, its a silver faced 112 and he says its 22 watts. 1972 I think. 40 watts would be too much, like I said I can't get my Peavey up past 3 on stage at gig volume. My amp is basically a monitor anyway. Most of my sound goes to FOH.
The boutique thing is a bit scary, but I 've heard DR Z really knows their stuff.
BTW, I have heard great things about Barber pedals, I was thinking Tonebone Classic or Hot British..?
Thanks for the thoughts---

SteveK
02-09-2004, 05:14 PM
For distortion pedals the Fulltone stuff is really good. Try a Fulldrive 2(medium gain), or a Distortion Pro. I've got them both and love 'em!

pluto
02-09-2004, 05:43 PM
I'm probably one of the few guys on this planet who does not really care for Dr Z amps. I've owned two-a Maz 18, jr. head and a 6545 head, both running through a Dr Z Z best cab. I bought them without hearing them first and while I thought they were decent amps, I sold them within a year after I bought them. I did and still love the Z best cab though. Just not my bag of tea, I guess. If the Fender is equal in tone to the Z you're looking at, to me, it's no contest-get the Fender since it's that much cheaper. Also, the Maz 18's wattage is deceptive-it's a loud 18 watts. I believe, it's more of a 22 watter. The master volume on it is not that good either, imo. In any case, I don't think you're going to be cranking the volume on the Maz too much either which leaves you in the same place where you are now with the Classic 30. Just my 2cents.

mbrown3
02-09-2004, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by pluto
I'm probably one of the few guys on this planet who does not really care for Dr Z amps. I've owned two-a Maz 18, jr. head and a 6545 head, both running through a Dr Z Z best cab. I bought them without hearing them first and while I thought they were decent amps, I sold them within a year after I bought them. I did and still love the Z best cab though. Just not my bag of tea, I guess. If the Fender is equal in tone to the Z you're looking at, to me, it's no contest-get the Fender since it's that much cheaper. Also, the Maz 18's wattage is deceptive-it's a loud 18 watts. I believe, it's more of a 22 watter. The master volume on it is not that good either, imo. In any case, I don't think you're going to be cranking the volume on the Maz too much either which leaves you in the same place where you are now with the Classic 30. Just my 2cents.

I'm with you, Pluto. After reading tons of rave reviews, I went and really put them through their paces...just nothing there for my taste. They just didn't give me the same "vibe" that some other amps give. Oh well, to each his own...

Casper
02-10-2004, 06:49 AM
Pluto and Mbrown, thanks for your insight. I guess I've been jaded after playing the Peavey in two different bands for 10+ years. The Peavey, is a two channel that shares the same eq, so I guess I wanted to have a bit more flexability. But in reality, how much warmth can you get out of a 112 open backed cab??
I guess what hooks me is that warm slightly compressed clean sound I get out of the Z. I can get it out of the Fender too, so I am going to take another hard look at that amp before I shell out $1700.
Another amp I was considering but haven't really played much is the Rivera Chubster 40. Loads of power, but I would have the same volume considerations--unless I got a power soak or something. Thanks for the tips guys!
Shaun

pluto
02-10-2004, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by mbrown3
I'm with you, Pluto. After reading tons of rave reviews, I went and really put them through their paces...just nothing there for my taste. They just didn't give me the same "vibe" that some other amps give. Oh well, to each his own...

Wow-and I thought I was the only one!!! Ha! I agree totally with the vibe thing-the two z amps I owned just did nothing for me. That being said, I would still love to play a Route 66 one day-I love KT66 tubes-they have such a round, full and warm character to them.

mbrown3
02-10-2004, 12:21 PM
Yeah, I usually feel alone when it comes to the Zs as well, because so many people rave about them. And there's something a lot of people say about a "high-end" amp like the Zs, but for me, what sounds good sounds good. Sometimes the high end stuff sounds best, sometimes it doesn't. When something sounds just as good and it's old and beat up, I'll take that over a "boutique" amp that just doesn't feel right any day. The Zs sounded good, but just didn't feel right for me, so I'll pass on those and go with what works for me and my rig, my tone, etc.

tom
02-12-2004, 12:11 AM
mb3, what does work for you? i've been tempted to look into z's, but there aren't any close to me. is low power important for you?

skydog
02-12-2004, 04:51 AM
Casper,

You don't have to shell out $1700 for a great sounding Fender amp. In my humble opinion, the best deals in today's market are the Fender silverfaces. Reason being, silvers are way cheaper and can be converted to blackface circuitry rendering them identical in sound to the older blackface models. It's a simple operation that any amp tech worth his salt can do. Here in Boston we're blessed with one of the best amp men in the country (Roy Goode) and he's done tons of fender amps for me. They have all turned out great. Another mod that you might consider is converting to cathode bias (class A). This will give it a browner sound...a little less headroom but an oh so sweet natural compression/distortion. I have had experience with and can recommend the Super Reverb, Pro Reverb, Deluxe Reverb, Princeton Reverb (modified with a 12' speaker). To compliment your Fender amp, there are also some fine sounding and affordable speakers on the market these days made by Eminence, Weber, Jenson and Celestion . For an older used speaker, I particularly like a well worn 70s Celestion black (or green) back.

One parting thought, before you have work done, ask around for a reputable guy to do your work. Getting someone who really knows their stuff and takes pride in the work, makes all the difference.

Casper
02-12-2004, 06:39 AM
Thanks Sky.
I haven't had the chance to get back to my friends to play the fender again, but yes, I would probably get a tech to retube and go thru it. I think the amp I am looking at has a Jensen 12.
Good advice from all about shelling out 1700.00 for an amp.
Low power and power soaks seem to be the trend these days.
I play alot of motown and 70's stuff so I need a warmer sound.
I think my Peavey 30 would have a bigger sound if it had a bigger cabinet, but sharing eqs on a single channel amp is limiting me.
I think I need a great workable clean sound and get my grease from a good pedal or two, thats my plan anyway. the digital thing is really bothering me now.
People at my dealer are raving about DRZ and I can see the attraction, but then again, for the same money I could get the Rivera Chubster 40, or a Mesa F40 too...both are killer amps.
I can probably get this fender for around 500.00 from my friend
Thanks for the good feedback all--

mbrown3
02-12-2004, 09:35 AM
<QUOTE><i>Originally posted by tom </i>
<B>mb3, what does work for you? i've been tempted to look into z's, but there aren't any close to me. is low power important for you? </B></QUOTE>

Well, not necessarily low <I>power</I>, but decent tone at low volumes. I'm the director of music at a church here in PA, and so a) need to have great tone at lower volume to match the surroundings, and b) I tend to like to keep the amp low anyway, with a mic into the board for a better total mix. Having said that, even after cranking the Zs I wasn't all that impressed. In fact, they <I>did</I> sound better at lower volumes, to my ear, than cranked. But I just didn't get the "vibe" that I look for.

In terms of what <I>does</I> work for me, in general I'm looking for warmth and response. I hate sterile sounding amps, I love that vibey warmth that just sings. And I want an amp that responds really well to playing dynamics.

In terms of what <I>specifically</I> works for me, as an example, I found that (so far), the best amp for my use in church is an Ampeg Jet 112. It's warm, good volume, and works for the applications I need it for. Breaks up well when I crank it. In general, I have 2 main amps. One, that I use for other (non-church) gigs, is a Cavin 100W 212 which has one of the best clean channels I've ever heard. The dirty channel sucks, but I use my Mesa V-Twin for my lead tones. I also have an old Fender Super Reverb for that great classic snappy tone. Each of these amps gives me that great, musical "vibe." I'm also looking at the Mesa Road King and Lone Stars. I've alwasy liked Mesas vibe too. I just didn't get that with the Zs.

Do check them out if you get a chance - I'd love to hear what you think! They just didn't do it for me, but I know a lot of people love them...

sylvanshine
02-12-2004, 02:53 PM
I run a FDII into a Route 66 on top of a Bogner cube (cosmetically modifed as shown). Great portable rig. I recommend the Airbrake (grey box on top) to take the volume down. The 66 really gets cooking when the master is at Noon.

The KT66s are so pedal friendly. The amp loves delays up front and you don't get that crazy feedback repeat thing with other amps

BrownDog
02-12-2004, 03:28 PM
I've been playing a KT45 head through a 212 ZBest cab for almost 2 years now. (I play in a classic rock cover band.) The only pedals I use are a Fulltone Clyde Wah and an Xotic AC Booster. For smaller venues and practice, like Sylvanshine, I too will use an Airbrake, on occassion. The only change to the amp is that I've replaced the SS rectifier with a tube rectifier and rebiased the amp at 28.7 mA per tube.

I like the KT45 because the controls are simple: bass , treble and volume. Although simple, the treble and bass controls are very interactive. Finding the balance between all three is where the magic lies!

It took me a while to find the sweet spot for my hum and single-coil guitars. Generally, I set the volume at 11:30; treble at 3:00 and bass amost at 2:00. I get the "snap" that I like, as well as a touch of "hair" that I can take over the top with the AC Booster. And, it cleans up nicely when I roll back the guitar's volume.

For myself alone and with tone and oneness, Mike.

dannopelli
02-27-2005, 08:40 PM
Shaun,

I have played both amps. (You know I know who has that amp!) Just added a Ma 18 to my collection.

That particular Fender is a great sounding amp. It has the original tubes and has almost no playing time on it. Those old tubes is one of the reasons you like it so much. You may need to do a few things to make it road ready, but I think you are getting a good deal.

But I still think you should play a MAZ 18 side by side. There might be one or two there. Just be sure you are spending wisely. And remeber unless you special order a Maz 18, as I did, it does not have an FX loop. But then again neither does that Fender.

Call me if you want to talk about the differences.

Danno

joe1962
02-28-2005, 09:07 AM
I'm on my 4th Z amp and it's the first one I've been completely happy with.

My first was a Maz Jr non-reverb in a 212 combo, and it sounded great but didn't have enough headroom for the gigs I do. I traded it in on a Maz Sr 212 non-reverb, but that amp never had the warmth of my Jr, so I ended up selling it. Along the way I also had a Carmen Ghia head, and while it was fun to crank and play around the house it didn't have enough headroom for gigs and I got tired of the single tone control thing after a while.

I had just about written Z off when last year I sold the Mesa Mark IV I used for jamming and subbing gigs with wedding bands and such. I wanted something portable and less complicated to dial in than the Mesa. So I took a chance on a used Maz Sr 112 combo with reverb. I've been amazed at how good this amp sounds! It's warmer and more responsive than the other Z's I've had, takes pedals well, and sounds great with all my guitars. It's just a good solid, portable, great sounding amp I can cover a lot of gigs with.

On the Fender amp, old Silverface Fenders are one of the best amp deals going these days. If you get the early 70s ones they aren't that different from the blackface amps, and can be modded to be almost the same thing. I have a 74 Super Reverb that has been "blackfaced" and it sounds great. At the same time I feel like the Z is a more versatile amp. You also need to think about taking the old amp to a tech and have it gone over before putting it on stage. Unless it has already been done it will need filter caps and probably new tubes and bias. If you don't do this you're asking for trouble.

guitarzan
02-28-2005, 02:11 PM
there was a mention of a Rivera Chubster 40 earlier... Just an FYI, Rivera Amplification is pushing their Clubster and Pubster amps, both come in 1x10 and 1x12 versions and they're low-wattage...

clubster 1x10 25w
http://www.rivera.com/Rivera/details/club_25110_combo.shtml

pubster 1x10 25w
http://www.rivera.com/Rivera/details/pub_25110_combo.shtml

enjoy.

HiG
02-28-2005, 07:29 PM
I had just about written Z off when last year I sold the Mesa Mark IV I used for jamming and subbing gigs with wedding bands and such. I wanted something portable and less complicated to dial in than the Mesa. So I took a chance on a used Maz Sr 112 combo with reverb. I've been amazed at how good this amp sounds! It's warmer and more responsive than the other Z's I've had, takes pedals well, and sounds great with all my guitars. It's just a good solid, portable, great sounding amp I can cover a lot of gigs with.

I guess it depends how you want to get your variety of sounds. Like Joe, I've found a 112 Maz Sr (38 watts) to be an excellent platform. It has headroom for days and is very pedal-friendly, which is ideal for me since I use pedals for most of my overdrive/distortion sounds. I used to have a maz 18, and I actually preferred the amp overdriven sounds in it to the 38, but at the volumes I play at the clean suffered , so I went for the more powerful one. I have a friend who is a full time pro and he can't stand the sound of my amp when he plays it, but says it sounds fine when I do. With all this said, I've been working on aircraft for almost 30 years now, so I know that my hearing is impaired to some degree (what??) in the higher frequencies. I guess in the final analysis you gotta go with what feels good to you.

Wbb
03-01-2005, 01:38 PM
Hey Shaun,

$1700.00 for a Maz Jr? That doesn't sound right. I think the Maz Sr 210 may be closer to that price.

I live in Powhatan (near you), and you're welcome to try out my Z's. I have two, and 3 cabinet choices, and a room where you can crank volume all you want!...just let me know. Also I'm selling my Jr 210 for $1200.00. A local is supposed to buy it, but hasn't come up with the cash yet so it *may* be available. I'm also selling an Air Brake attenuator which you may like, as far as helping to control your stage volume. It works great with the Jr.

Bill

Casper
03-01-2005, 02:44 PM
That was actually an old post. I was interested in buying a nice boutique amp like a Z or a Mesa, but I am having issues with my soundman and I just had to fix and hotrod both of my Peavey Classic 30's. Other issues are prevalent as well. thanks for the offer though. BTW, where are you playing these days? We still need to meet!
Later (see ya at the new foodlion! HAHA :D
Shaun

Wbb
03-02-2005, 10:16 AM
Shaun, glad things worked out ampwise.

Doing mostly private parties, do occassional gigs with the honky tonk project, pic below from Bucs last month. See you at the FL :cool:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v631/MadisonB/bucks014.jpg

Casper
03-02-2005, 11:25 AM
PM me next time you guys play out, if I'm not gigging, I'd love to hear that monsta rig....
Thx-
Shaun

Wbb
03-02-2005, 12:12 PM
PM me next time you guys play out, if I'm not gigging, I'd love to hear that monsta rig....
Thx-
Shaun Will do. That's a club where you can crank up good too, have never had volume complaints in many years of playing there.

Next booking there is March 12, but I think Tyler from Lindy's shop is sitting in for that one. If things change I'll drop you a note, although you play just about every weekend from what I recall :D

replayboy
03-02-2005, 01:31 PM
Has anyone not given the Mesa Blue Angel any thought? its a low watter and has a channel and master volume on it, so you can drive the channel harder so giving you the tone, but turn down the master volume output? well thats my understanding and as for the tone....its as good as it gets for me.!!

tunacaster
03-02-2005, 05:33 PM
Good lookin' rig Bill! Let me know too, didn't know you were doin' the country thing, would love to hear your band.

Tommy

Wbb
03-03-2005, 07:35 AM
Hey Tommy,

Still in the other band you've seen. This honky tonk project is a part time gig, sharing lead guitar with another guy (whoever's available). It's a blast, the fiddle player Drew Perkins acted and played fiddle for years in "The Lost Highway" the Hank Williams Story in Nashville...he's equally comfortable on fiddle, mandolin & Tele :cool:

We need to hook up soon, I'd love to check out your new Ramber and Aiken!

Bill

tunacaster
03-04-2005, 05:23 AM
Yeah Bill, need to do that. The Rambler and the Aiken are both used but look NIB. The Aiken 18 watt Invader is just flat out awesome. It has great tone. I have had alot of different amps over the past few years, and I believe I have found a keeper. It has a built in attenuator, that to my ears just does not alter the tone. Two knob reverb, bright and dark volumes that are internally jumped, bass, middle, treble, presence and a "plexi-ali" switch. I got the head version and a 1-12 cab. The head is larger compared to your MAZ Sr and so is the cab compared to a Z-Best. The cabinet is 3 piece closed back, but you can pop out the middle section if you want the open back. The speaker is Randall Aiken's version of a Greenback. I use it mostly in "plexi" mode. Have to let you check this thing out. Take care.

Wbb
03-04-2005, 07:37 AM
Have to let you check this thing out. Take care. I'd love to. I'll drop you an email in the coming weeks. I'm selling some gear and looking to replace, thinking Z28 or Ghia head...but could also be interested in a higher gain amp like the Aiken. The Maz Sr has me covered well with clean headroom, so something along the lines of the Invader has my interest. How does it compare to your old Maz Jr?

tunacaster
03-04-2005, 05:43 PM
Alot nastier than the MAZ 18. In the "plexi" mode, with the attenuator backed off, you can get some nice early Marshall, Fender clean tones. Turn it on up and set your two volumes & EQ to taste for nice on bluesey Tweed tones or keep keep going for those chunky distorted Marshall tones. The attenuator seems to work better than the Z-Brake (just my opinion), cause that is a nice piece. The amp is really touch sensitive and responds to your attack nicely. I use my guitar volume as well to clean it up or make it growl. I don't use the "Ali" mode that much, but it is tighter, brighter, more compressed. Aiken makes a 30 watt EL-34 Invader, but the 18 watter is more than enough for me. We have both had Chubsters and there is no comparison in my book with regard to tone. Now in all fairness the Chubster was a combo and alot less expensive and well built, just didn't do it for me. I got rid of my Fender 57 Twin for this amp and do not regret it at all. Indoor Storm has some clips on this amp, and this is not the only cool amp that Aiken makes. Let me know when you would like to give 'er a spin. Take care. :D

njjessee
04-03-2005, 04:39 PM
Hey Casper! What mods have you made to the Peavey Classic 30? Who did them for you?

Noah

Casper
04-04-2005, 05:57 AM
Well Noah, It WAS modded...
I still have it at least upgraded. I used to have the Peavey Sheffield speaker which is better than the standard Black Marvel, but I changed up to a Celestion V30 last year (much warmer and more bottom). I had JJ tubes up until a month ago, they went out and I put Sovteks back in it.
I also have an AC input drilled into the power section. This used to hold the adapter to my wireless, now its empty because I finally mounted my unit in our monitor rack. It could be used to power a pedal though. I have my H&K redbox DI mounted in the rear of the amp (leads off the speaker that go to our monitor rack). Lastly, I have the "tube grill" that mounts under the power section. this thing is awesome inthat it protects the tubes and also enables me to attach cables and other wires coming out of the amp. I thought about doing some of the "blue tube" mods, but I don't want to jinx the longevity. It has been a tank of an amp. I got it used in 1994. traded a friend a Fender amp that I didn't like. I've played over 800 shows with it and it finally blew some things up last month...Peavey ain't quite the tone or the reputation...but you can't beat the reliability.
Hope you are well these days...
Shaun

nick
04-04-2005, 09:30 AM
I've just recently paired up a Barber LTD with my Maz jr 2-12 and the match is incredible. My Hollow T Classic never sounded better. I've been trying Dr. Z stuff for a while now and have settled with the Maz jr. I've had a Route 66 which wasn't for me but the Ghia and Mazerati are killer amps. Haven't had much experience with some of his newer amps because there isn't a dealer close by. Usually have to drive a couple hundred miles to Montgomery for that. Last time which was two weeks ago I brought home a Maz Jr. from Elite Music Sales. They happen to be a Anderson dealer as well. For me the Jr. was just what I've been looking for. Not a whole lot of headroom but the amp has so much "expression" and character that I'm having tons of fun playing through it. I have never been a big pedal user but thought I'd give the Barber LTD a try for that extra push when needed. The pedal works fantastic with this amp and does so much more than what I had thought it would do. I don't gig near as much as I used to now that I have my precious daughter but I know with the Jr. and the LTD, that would be all I'd ever need. I highly recommend the LTD for whatever set up you have. Impossible to make this pedal sound bad!

Big Mike
04-08-2005, 08:02 PM
I'm a HUGE Z fan. I have a Z28 (My personal grail) as well as a Ghia, and I have owned a Mazerati. The Ghia and Rati are/were great amps, but the Z28 with it's EF86 preamp just has this whole "openness" thing going on. Fabulous tones, I think you can get some cool and different tones out of it. Pretty amazing how the EQ Works.

For reference, the "be all, end all" tone for me, is Storyville era David Grissom. (also played with Joe Ely, John Mellencamp, etc).

Donk70
04-08-2005, 08:35 PM
I just received my Maz Jr. head and Z Best 2x12 cab and I'm really digging it with my Classic. It dirty's up quite nice when I dime the volume on the Andy and cleans up nicely when I roll it back.

I haven't played my DTC with hums through it yet, but my Lester, Thorn and CU22 sound great through it.