PDA

View Full Version : Gotw

Casper
12-27-2006, 11:05 AM
Wow. I didn't realize that the Kahler Steeler was still available???? Tom?This must be one smokin axe?! Not that I can afford a new TA, but that definitely makes me sit up and take notice. If I had known this last time I ordered a new TA, that would have made a huge difference. IMO, these were TONS better that the current Floyd offered. Makes me hunger for a new 80's vibe Classic;)
Shaun

sylvanshine
12-27-2006, 11:12 AM
Check the serial number again. Not a new guitar. Probably just in the shop for a tune up.

guitarzan
12-27-2006, 12:33 PM
it was made in 1992.

I was playing a Kramer American back then... Those were the days.

olectric
12-27-2006, 01:13 PM
I was playing a Kramer American back then... Those were the days.

Niiiiice...I wasn't yet playing. But, the year after, I got my first guitar: a Squier Strat with a homemade (NOT by me) linoleum pickguard. :D

guitarzan
12-27-2006, 01:19 PM
linoleum?!

That's awesome. I'm thinking you should bring that back. :)

Pietro
12-27-2006, 04:23 PM
I was playing a SWEET late 80s Gibson Les Paul that I sold before I'd need a chiropractor. played and sounded like a dream, but weighed a ton.

HiG
12-27-2006, 04:37 PM
+1 on the Squier Strat in '92. Mine was a JV 62 reissue - probably the best Strat I ever had - until youth and inexperience overruled common sense and I hacked it up by putting humbuckers and a floyd in it. It never recovered and I sold it about ten years ago after the body cracked completely in half. Since then I have learned to trust the folks that actually do mods for a living. My other electric was a Charvel Model 88 - a rare bird that unfortunately also fell to the merciless "crazed carpenter" syndrome. That GOTW is gorgeous, although I think it could use a bigsby (aaagh, down boy, down boy - must increase meds!):D

Pietro
12-27-2006, 05:54 PM
AMEN!

I have learned to NEVER alter the wood on a guitar. I had one good experience though, with a cheap late 80s Yamaha RGX312. I worked in the instrument biz at the time, and the local Yamaha rep offered to take the guitar and send it to the "custom shop", since I couldn't get it to stay in tune or sound good. They routed the heck out of it and stuck some high-end Floyd licensed trem in it that Yamaha cast in their motorcycle shop. I kid you not, that trem was as good as a Steeler, even if the guitar was a cheapo. Then I stuck an old bridge pickup from a Les Paul Studio, and that one sound I got out of it just ROCKED! But... it wasn't me...

Then I took a perfectly good hard-tail strat and got a new body and stuck a wilkinson (which I love on my US masters btw) in it. It SUCKED! I found someone who wanted it though.

Haven't altered a guitar since, though. Leave the wood alone. Pickups is one thing... but routing and drilling...???

michaelomiya
12-27-2006, 07:03 PM
i don't know about you guys, but the C&W singers that Mark Thompson's working with (Chely Wright and Jessica Andrews) are knock-out, gorgeous. Lucky guy!! (must be hard to focus:p)

(The DT classic's not bad either!):cool: :D

(......FWIW, I didn't even notice the bridge);)

guitarzan
12-27-2006, 07:14 PM
Chely Wright's a stunner alright. She did a record a few years ago with Dan Huff (or maybe she's done all of them with Huff- I dunno) that was really great. Good pop sensibilities in a country record.