PDA

View Full Version : Can someone help me get this tone?

kurt1981
12-18-2006, 01:37 AM
Hey guys, I'm trying to get this tone and I'm not sure quite how. I've been listening to Drew Zingg, he did some steely dan work in the 90's, and he gets this amazing overdrive. He's got a 335, and I could swear he's using a marshall, probably a 100 watter. The overdrive is so clear, but it's got that compression happening where the guitar just sustains. I don't have a marshall, I've just got the boogie lonestar, and I'm wondering if anyone knows a way for me to get close to this tone? Is there a pedal that'll get that sound, or a way to set up the amp's drive channel? All the marshall type pedals I've seen try and nail that over the top marshall wall of gain, and this tone is nowhere near that. I hope someone can help,
Thanks,
Kurt

Casper
12-18-2006, 10:38 AM
Kurt--If you liked his stuff with Steely Dan, you'll love the Boz Scaggs greatest hits Live CD or DVD! He uses a Fulltone FDII and I am unsure of the amp, but he also plays a Strat along with the 335 (at least on the video) He doesn't have a web site that I know of, but I wish he did. I can get pretty close to that transparent warm tone with my Barber Direct Drive and my new Atom. Boz has the same sort of tone and he also uses a 335 with an FDII Drew is one of my new favs...classy and ton-ey! Check out his solo on the end of "Somebody Loan Me A Dime" ;) that CD is a must have!
Shaun

dannopelli
12-18-2006, 04:37 PM
Are you looking for that "Reelin in the Years" sound? Keely Modded Pro Co Rat through a Twin nails it for me.

kurt1981
12-19-2006, 08:49 AM
Hey, thanks guys. I got the Bozz dvd the day it came out, I love Drew's work on that, much more soulfull than some of the steely dan. He's not afraid to breath between notes on the Bozz disc. I actually have a bootleg show of Drew, with some other New york musicians, if anyone wants a copy. It's his tone on this album that I'm after, much different than the on the Bozz stuff. I've been using a 335 and a fulldrive, and it's a great match-up. Let me know if you'd like a copy of that show, I can do that.
Thanks for the help, Drew rocks!!
kurt

Casper
12-19-2006, 09:00 AM
I think he's on the New York Rock N Soul Review with Steely Dan, Boz Scaggs, Michael Mcdonald and a bunch of killer other players. If thats what your'e referring to, I would LOVE a copy..
Shaun

kurt1981
12-19-2006, 04:54 PM
I do have the NY soul review disc, but this one is a bootleg, with the band from that tour, but no other vocalists, just Drew, Jeff young, Tom barney on bass, and Gary Golde on drums. They do some old yellowjackets stuff, and a couple Dan tunes, and it's pretty much all Drew. The recording isn't the best, it sounds like someone put up a stereo mic or something, but it's cool.
If you want one, shoot me a pm with your info.
Thanks,
Kurt

I think he's on the New York Rock N Soul Review with Steely Dan, Boz Scaggs, Michael Mcdonald and a bunch of killer other players. If thats what your'e referring to, I would LOVE a copy..
Shaun

Casper
12-20-2006, 06:30 AM
Ver Cool. PM sent.

bud
12-21-2006, 01:51 PM
On the Steely Dan tour he played in '93 (I think that's the year) He was using 335 and two Matchless 2x12 Combos. Couldn't see if there were pedals involved, if so I don't think there was more than one cause he basically had 2 sounds all night. I get into that sonic space with my bandmaster (i don't think it's too far removed from your lonestar) and a Barber Small Fry (agree Direct Drive gets in the neighborhood too). I can see Fulldrive working well also.