PDA

View Full Version : I found my custom Drop Top by being insane!

AndyK
12-11-2006, 12:58 PM
I ordered my Drop Top in August, and although I haven't received it, figured it would be made sometime in November. So, using the Serial Number search on the TAG site, I started plugging in possible serial numbers for every day, starting on November 1. Nothing last week, but today, when I got to 11-28-06P, BINGO!! That's MY guitar!

Now that I know it exists, I have to find out where it is, and what it looks like!

:D

tmihm
12-11-2006, 01:38 PM
I ordered my Drop Top in August, and although I haven't received it, figured it would be made sometime in November. So, using the Serial Number search on the TAG site, I started plugging in possible serial numbers for every day, starting on November 1. Nothing last week, but today, when I got to 11-28-06P, BINGO!! That's MY guitar!

Now that I know it exists, I have to find out where it is, and what it looks like!

The spec page says there is a 5-way, but I ordered a 3-way toggle...must be a typo?

I'm afraid I have horrible news for you, Andy. They sent it to me by mistake, and I love it! I've already modded it with a Kahler and am thinking of scalloping the frets next. :eek: :confused: GREAT GUITAR - thanks....and sorry!!!!!!!

Seriously....man...you must be pumped! Where will she be landing? Hopefully you get it soon, and have a report (and pics, dammit!) for us!

Congrats!

Terry

michaelomiya
12-11-2006, 01:41 PM

The spec page says there is a 5-way, but I ordered a 3-way toggle...must be a typo?

congrats Andy! But shouldn't your dealer have the information that it's being shipped out? They should have a tracking number.:cool:

AndyK
12-11-2006, 01:48 PM
congrats Andy! But shouldn't your dealer have the information that it's being shipped out? They should have a tracking number.:cool:

My dealer is Magdon, and unfortunately, Jack has been a little busy lately! Fortunately for everyone, Jack will soon return and be able to answer this question!

Of course, I am gonna check with Magdon today - maybe someone else there can let me know the scoop!

This is all assuming Terry will send the guitar back after he removes the Kahler!! :eek:

michaelomiya
12-11-2006, 02:04 PM
My dealer is Magdon, and unfortunately, Jack has been a little busy lately! Fortunately for everyone, Jack will soon return and be able to answer this question!

Of course, I am gonna check with Magdon today - maybe someone else there can let me know the scoop!

This is all assuming Terry will send the guitar back after he removes the Kahler!! :eek:

ahh...10-4 Andy!!! got it, especially under the "circumstances". :o
a kahler can be removed, but the scalloping.....that's gonna be tough:D

AndyK
12-11-2006, 02:10 PM
ahh...10-4 Andy!!! got it, especially under the "circumstances". :o
a kahler can be removed, but the scalloping.....that's gonna be tough:D

I'll keep the scalloping - it will help my vibrato on the 18th century Lute music I am transcribing. The Drop Top will come in handy for that!

Not!

theatomicjeff
12-11-2006, 03:48 PM
LOL. Hey Andy, very creative of you! Hope it finds it's way to you = congrats! I'll borrow your method of creativity next month when my order should make it's way next in line.

I know you're anxious - hang in there, bud! ;) Be sure and post a pic when you get it. :cool:

AndyK
12-11-2006, 03:54 PM
LOL. Hey Andy, very creative of you! Hope it finds it's way to you = congrats! I'll borrow your method of creativity next month when my order should make it's way next in line.

I know you're anxious - hang in there, bud! ;) Be sure and post a pic when you get it. :cool:

More like persistant! I kept checking dates last week to no avail. Then I gave it a shot today, and it paid off. Not sure how long it takes from being recorded on the serial number database to actually leaving TAG and heading to the dealer?

Oh don't worry - I will be posting pics!! ;)

Pietro
12-11-2006, 04:30 PM
Actually, I hate to tell you... But I thought it was mine, it arrived in UPS last week with the Kahler and the scalloped fingerboard.

I changed the pickups out with Three Seymour Duncan vintage X2Ns, (Had to do some routing to make that happen... didn't have a router so I used a hand drill. There's a few scratches in the paint, but it plays okay...) and then I took off the neck, because I like the feel of my Univox neck better. Then I took off the switch and wired all the pickups together in series.

Had to make some extra holes for the four bolt neck on the old Ramones-esque Univox, and I filled in the gap with wood putty...

And I painted the Kahler Green...

Then I put Eddie Van Halen stripes on it with Duct Tape...

It is SWEET looking now...

Laugh a little, everybody. It's CHRISTMASTIME!

AndyK
12-12-2006, 06:40 AM
Actually, I hate to tell you... But I thought it was mine, it arrived in UPS last week with the Kahler and the scalloped fingerboard.

I changed the pickups out with Three Seymour Duncan vintage X2Ns, (Had to do some routing to make that happen... didn't have a router so I used a hand drill. There's a few scratches in the paint, but it plays okay...) and then I took off the neck, because I like the feel of my Univox neck better. Then I took off the switch and wired all the pickups together in series.

Had to make some extra holes for the four bolt neck on the old Ramones-esque Univox, and I filled in the gap with wood putty...

And I painted the Kahler Green...

Then I put Eddie Van Halen stripes on it with Duct Tape...

It is SWEET looking now...

Laugh a little, everybody. It's CHRISTMASTIME!

Wow Pietro, wonder why Tom didn't think of these improvements!! Thanks for betterizing the guitar for me!:p

Pietro
12-12-2006, 07:43 AM
My Pleasure!

;)

Casper
12-12-2006, 08:10 AM
You guys joke about the Kahler, but there hasn't been a better tremolo than the Kahler Steeler that Tom used to use, the new Floyds pale in comparison.
Btw, Green???!!! How dare you;)

AndyK
12-12-2006, 08:48 AM
You guys joke about the Kahler, but there hasn't been a better tremolo than the Kahler Steeler that Tom used to use, the new Floyds pale in comparison.
Btw, Green???!!! How dare you;)

The Kahler Steeler was a fine bridge, but the NUT that came with those trems were a horror to re-string! You had to feed the string through the locks, just a PITA, I think.

tmihm
12-12-2006, 09:10 AM
Since 1981 or so, I've always had at least one guitar with a Kahler. (Huge Adrian Belew fan.) I love 'em! And I haven't been using the locking nut on my last couple.....and haven't had any issues....although I haven't really been using that one a lot since my Andy addiction.

Terry

AndyK
12-12-2006, 09:23 AM
the original Kahlers never had enough resistance to make them usable to me. The Floyds have just the right feel to them, I think. So they route out a huge hole in the body? Floyd's still rule!

Casper
12-12-2006, 09:35 AM
One could argue about the tone between the 2, but I think it was the way the arm was bent that made it sweet..sometimes, things just go together.
I had made the mistake of replacing the Kahler with the Gotoh (because the gold was worn off) and I regretted it from gig one. oh well..glory days!
Shaun

AndyK
12-12-2006, 09:44 AM
A GOLD Kahler? Yikes!! :eek: