PDA

View Full Version : Classic with VA 12-VA12R-VA23

Kid Metric
11-26-2006, 05:36 PM
Is anyone playing one of these guitars?
How would you describe the tone compared to a good Fender Strat or a TAG with SA's?
Looking for vintage tone with options on board, and this looks like the ticket.
Alpha audio/Classic/Desert Sunset.
Your thoughts?

LWilliams
12-01-2006, 01:03 PM
I've got 2 Classics. One, my "Mary Kaye" model has that same pup config. The other has VA1, VA1 and VA2 with rosewood board and alder body.

The one with the config you describe is very versatile. I like it much better and a Fender Strat because it is warmer, not as thin sounding. The bridge pup by itself is especially good when switched to the VA3 mode. It is very Tele like in that position. The it goes back to a thick Strat sound in the VA2 position.

You get a very good bridge/middle quack in the unswitched (VA1/VA2) positions. I did not like the neck pup alone in the VA2 positon but I do like it when switched to VA1.

The "Mary Kaye" Classic is maple neck with ash body.

IMHO, the SA's have a thinnner, more sterile sound with a flat response compared to the VA series. I no longer own the HDTC with the SA setup. While do like the SA sound, the VA is TAG's take on the vintage Fender sound...... and I like it better. In fact, after buying my first TA guitar, I started selling Fenders. I have 7 Fender's at that time. Now only one.

Hopefully this helps.....ask more if you need .....

Kid Metric
12-01-2006, 03:58 PM
Thanks for the response.
We are having a winter storm, and the new TAG just arrived.
I have to wait 2 hours before I open the case to check it out.
Ouch!
I will let you know how it sounds-I agree with the Fender thing-mine are all gone.
My buddie hs a new EJ strat, but he shudders when I bring out the TA!
Nice pickups, but noisy as heck. Plus the neck is so sticky, that vintage thing.
I also have a Suhr Classic, with the V60 LP pickups.
A very nice compliment to the TA sound.
A bit more guts, but also a little darker.

Later On!

JAZZGEAR
12-01-2006, 09:00 PM
Dang man.....

I had been eyeing that one...but had hesitated because I preferred a larger neck.....Oh well -- congrats.

BTW I live 15 miles from Alpha Audio....

Kid Metric
12-22-2006, 09:25 PM
I love this guitar!
I have a TAG 02/09/97A, with the Sa1 Sa1R SD1 combo.
This guitar turned me on to TAG's, and I am a sworn fan from this point out.
I also have a Suhr Classic, with the V60LP's, which the pickups are supposed to be the poop.
The Suhr sounds good, but much thicker than 02/09/97A, and especially thicker than 04/16/06N, which was the subject in question.
After 30 guitars since 1979, Ta's are the ticket. PRS, too much money, and i don't dig hums.
Grab whatever you can, especially with the VA series switching. I couldn't be happier.
I just wish I had $10,000.00 extra dollars to buy what I can, because the end of the rianbow for new TAG'S is coming up fast!
Wishful thinking!