PDA

View Full Version : So with all of the TAG News.....

michaelomiya
11-18-2006, 12:06 PM
How are you reacting?

1. Are you motivated to try and finding a coveted slot for one of the last custom orders?

2. Are you looking to pickup one of the dealers' store stock?

3. Are you completely immune to all of this, totally satisfied with the Andy's you've got already, and doing nothing?

4. Are you going to wait until after March 2007, to order one of Tom's new axes?

teleplucker
11-18-2006, 12:38 PM
For what it's worth I'll throw my opinion in. I own a Hollow Atom with mmh pickups and Bigsby. It is a great guitar, covers lots of ground and it is very well made.
It is kinda sad to here about all the changes at TAG but life goes on. The rush to buy up all the guitars that are available is interesting to watch. Considering there are have been thousands of Anderson guitars built and the market for highend electric guitars is certainly not infinite, eventually the pricing should return to normal.
Before Tom builds his first "solo" guitar I'm sure there will be an argument about which ones are better.
I am content with what I have for now and I'll take a wait and see approach before I buy another.

MEP
11-18-2006, 01:58 PM
I had been wanting a Crowdster Plus and I just talked to a dealer about one they just got in and of course you are going to pay pretty much retail now. Where before I know that I could have received a discount.

Another dealer wants 20% over retail, which I personally think is ridiculous and a rip-off.

So right now I am probably going to be content with my Classic, as well as my Hollow T w/ contours and X bridge . If I need to switch between electric guitar and acoustic, I will just pickup one of my Collings. I will keep my eyes open for a used one.

Dave K
11-18-2006, 02:15 PM
There's a certain spec Atom I want, and after finding the closest thing in stock at a dealer and being quoted "list or more", I'll wait and have Tom build me exactly what I want.

enr1co
11-18-2006, 02:49 PM
How are you reacting?

1. Are you motivated to try and finding a coveted slot for one of the last custom orders?

3. Are you completely immune to all of this, totally satisfied with the Andy's you've got already, and doing nothing?

4. Are you going to wait until after March 2007, to order one of Tom's new axes?

Nice though process breakdown Mike! This past week I was "all of the above" on various days ;)

Ive tried my best not to be overwhelmed with "scarcity mentality". I was so distracted with the Anderson news, I forgot to camp out in front of Best Buy for a PS3 ! ;) Even before the announcement, My plans were to order a Hollow T or a Cobra T around middle of next year 2007.

Up until last nite, I did come close to pulling the trigger on a couple stock Hollow Ts but some of the specs (ie. neck shape, frets, etc.) were just a little off to my liking so decided not to force it.

The nice thing was that the dealers quoted maintained the same discount schedule from list they had provided to me as a repeat customer with earlier Anderson purchases or request for quotes (rfq). This consistent good will business decision really scores points with me and they will continue to be on my preferred supplier list.:)

In contrast, there were a couple of Ts that I was interested with option 2 but despite being a repeat customer, the
dealer (s) would not sell it to me at the same discount schedule as previous Andersons purchased or quoted from them in the past. This was somewhat annoying to me since I have dropped mucho coin with them on Andersons and other guitars and gear in the past. Needless to say, they are likely disqualified from my "preferred supplier list.:mad:

After going on my AM bike ride to clear my mind, Im likely going with option
"3" or "4" as after review of the Christmas budget option "2", it is not really financially prudent. In addtion, I just opened the case of my atom and after a couple minutes of noodling I realize that I really should be celebrating the season to "give thanks" and just count my blessings. :)

tom
11-18-2006, 03:30 PM
it saddens me a bit that people are selling above list. i could see that being distasteful and affecting future business. but it is their stuff so they are entitled to do with it as they wish. i am looking forward to the new version of me and what might come out of that. right now the top priority is working on a solution for the others at the shop. they are all very talented people and we have gotten many calls from others in the industry wanting to know of their availability.

sylvanshine
11-18-2006, 03:40 PM
Maybe it's because I have all the Andersons I'll ever need, but I find all of this hysteria quite entertaining.

kccheers
11-18-2006, 04:08 PM
How are you reacting?

Well, #1 definatly applies. Thanx to Grant at Mass Street Music.

I looked at #2, but if you have been building guitars to your specs, usually this option doesn't work for me.

And Definatly looking forward to #4. I will be in line.

Thanx Tom!.....Tell Roy that "Cookies are Coming"!:D :D :D

enr1co
11-18-2006, 04:38 PM
it saddens me a bit that people are selling above list. i could see that being distasteful and affecting future business. but it is their stuff so they are entitled to do with it as they wish. i am looking forward to the new version of me and what might come out of that. right now the top priority is working on a solution for the others at the shop. they are all very talented people and we have gotten many calls from others in the industry wanting to know of their availability.

I sorta agree- Discount from list is their perogative however, being a
regular customer, I guess my expectations was for some consideration for past patronage. Perhaps this is too much to ask these days with the market change and competitive environment :confused:

Kudos to those who did maintain "business as usual". :)

Great news to hear that outplacement is moving forward well. Maybe you'll
be solo sooner than March... which is a positive for all? :)

tom
11-18-2006, 05:34 PM
we are trying our best to remain intact till end of march so we can deliver all these slots that have been filled.

ckofahl
11-18-2006, 05:45 PM
Tom,

I managed to get in on the last slot from Charlies in Dallas, and ordered a custom Atom. Figured that I might as well get in on a bit of history in the making. I was fortunate to have a wife that wanted to give me a nice b-day present. Once again thanks for all you and your crew have done to improve the quality of music being made.

chuck

taclassic
11-18-2006, 05:50 PM
Unfortunately I am not in a position for any of the choices you listed Mike. I inquired about a guitar and unfortunately they were also asking above list price.

I am outta of luck for now.

sean
11-18-2006, 05:57 PM
I am going to order a T Classic from Tom when he goes solo.
I'm in a financial bind right now and must sell my Atom.:(
If I was able to order a T Classic now,I would.
I would also like to have a new neck made for my '90 Hollow T Classic.
I'll need to find out if they are going to be able to make me a neck before March.
As far as price gouging goes,it does make the dealer's who are doing this look very bad IMO.

Rhys
11-18-2006, 07:32 PM
Yeah, I've been looking for an open slot but I've been striking out.

GaryMcT
11-18-2006, 07:58 PM
I had been wanting a Crowdster Plus and I just talked to a dealer about one they just got in and of course you are going to pay pretty much retail now. Where before I know that I could have received a discount.

Another dealer wants 20% over retail, which I personally think is ridiculous and a rip-off.

So right now I am probably going to be content with my Classic, as well as my Hollow T w/ contours and X bridge . If I need to switch between electric guitar and acoustic, I will just pickup one of my Collings. I will keep my eyes open for a used one.

NW Guitars has a really nice Crowdster plus in stock.

GaryMcT
11-18-2006, 08:01 PM
There's a certain spec Atom I want, and after finding the closest thing in stock at a dealer and being quoted "list or more", I'll wait and have Tom build me exactly what I want.

What spec are you looking for?

GaryMcT
11-18-2006, 08:13 PM
I ended up buying a stock guitar when o heard the news. Fortunately, I wouldn't change a thing on (except maybe the pickups. Might go with TV instead of TD), so it is basically what I would custom order. Fortunately, the shop that I always deal with gave me the same price that I would have gotten before the news.

If I had to pay list. I wouldn't have bought it. I also would have likely waited a while to buy one without the news.

GaryMcT
11-18-2006, 08:20 PM
Also, I do plan on buying a Cobra and maybe a crowdster once Tom gets things going, or maybe off EBay eventually.

Dave K
11-18-2006, 09:00 PM
What spec are you looking for?

Atom Special, dual buckers. My ideal one has a big neck and jumbo frets, but I haven't seen one in stock anywhere with those specs.

kccheers
11-18-2006, 09:48 PM
Ah Dave, so you scouted the great state of Missouri......I call about the same one, and was very dissapointed so say the least. Good luck with your quest. I know Tom will build you the right one some day.

Sam

-CM-
11-18-2006, 09:51 PM
I was gassing for a Baby Blue Hollow Classic just before the announcement was made. I even had it all spec'ed out and was just procrastinating ordering it. My mistake, because now I can't find a dealer with any slots open. I wouldn't want to pay too much for it anyway.

I then scoured the web looking for similarly spec'ed guitars. I found a couple, but I'm not going to pursue them - no sense in paying too much.

I did decide that I would definitely keep my Hollow Cobra that I had up for sale to raise some cash.

wreckfan
11-18-2006, 10:21 PM
I got hooked on the shorter "Gibson" scale length and it looks like I have overslept on ordering a new Cobra "S" (understatement)

The hysteria will eventually slow down and the prices will stabilize.

I really like having an "A" guitar in the arsenal of guitars ! I was fortunate enough to order 2 guitars last year. I am finding myself migrating to the fabulous Drop-Top-Classic that arrived. The beautiful (personalized quilt-top) Hollow-T-Classic is going to be available since I really don't play it.

mbrown3
11-19-2006, 12:21 AM
I find that no matter how many guitars I have in my arsenal, I find myself gravitating toward one and the others don't get much play time. So I decided to cut down to just one electric and a backup, and one acoustic and a backup. It's served me well ever since. For a while it was my HDTC, which was great but the standard neck was a little thin for my hands. Then I got a Baker B1 and the neck profile fit my hand PERFECTLY. That's been my main guitar now for about 3 years, but now I have the Atom on order that takes all of what I like about the Baker and all of what I miss from the Anderson, and combines them into one. I'm fairly certain that the Atom will accomplish the "best of both worlds" task with no problem, and I'll end up selling off the Baker.

The Bakers are in a similar situation since Gene went out of business and now is making guitars in a one-man-shop under Fine Tuned Instruments. The old ones under the Baker name are almost collectible now and are fetching pretty high prices. Hope the same doesn't quite happen with TAGs, but I sure am glad I got my Atom ordered already. Can't wait for next month!

michaelomiya
11-19-2006, 12:37 AM
we are trying our best to remain intact till end of march so we can deliver all these slots that have been filled.

please, please, please!:o :o :D

(I'm option #1...:rolleyes:);)

michaelomiya
11-19-2006, 12:43 AM
Ive tried my best not to be overwhelmed with "scarcity mentality". good luck on that one. I exercised about as much self-restraint as a 4 year old pre-schooler.:D

The nice thing was that the dealers quoted maintained the same discount schedule from list they had provided to me as a repeat customer with earlier Anderson purchases or request for quotes (rfq). This consistent good will business decision really scores points with me and they will continue to be on my preferred supplier list.:)

Ain't Brian great?! ;) :p

In contrast, there were a couple of Ts that I was interested with option 2 but despite being a repeat customer, the
dealer (s) would not sell it to me at the same discount schedule as previous Andersons purchased or quoted from them in the past. This was somewhat annoying to me since I have dropped mucho coin with them on Andersons and other guitars and gear in the past. Needless to say, they are likely disqualified from my "preferred supplier list.:mad:

(I know who you're talking about!);)

michaelomiya
11-19-2006, 12:53 AM
it saddens me a bit that people are selling above list. i could see that being distasteful and affecting future business. but it is their stuff so they are entitled to do with it as they wish.

take a lack of supply and combine with overwhelming demand, add a generous heaping of good 'ole greed, stir, bake for about 2 days (depending on which music forum you frequent), and WA-LA!, you've got the current market for Andersons.

entraind
11-19-2006, 01:01 AM
My regular House of Anderson, Gelb, had all of their slots filled. Kudos to Brian at Washington Music in Maryland for giving me the discounted price on a new Atom order in spite of all the crazyness....They still have some Andy's in stock including (as of thursday) the Primavera Atom I'm basing my order on if anyone is still considering snapping one up...:)

michaelomiya
11-19-2006, 01:06 AM
Kudos to Brian at Washington Music in Maryland for giving me the discounted price on a new Atom order in spite of all the crazyness....They still have some Andy's in stock including (as of thursday) the Primavera Atom I'm basing my order on if anyone is still considering snapping one up...:)

Brian Meader's an absolute pleasure to deal with. I acquired all of my Charvels from him.

entraind
11-19-2006, 02:42 AM
Yep, Brian has been a great guy to deal with...

edwarddavis
11-19-2006, 08:32 AM
I have 7 of the best guitars on the Planet and they are Tom Andersons and they are pretty much going no where. Thanks Tom and keep on making great guitars they way it will make you happy.
Good Luck

enr1co
11-19-2006, 10:48 AM
Ain't Brian great?! ;) :p

He da man :)

Jack and Steve da men too :)

straitouttahell
11-19-2006, 11:21 AM
How are you reacting?

5. I'm happy I could get my hands on my Drop Top before all this tarantella started :) , so that I could get it at a reasonable price. I don't think I am going to buy another Tom Anderson or any other hi-end guitar. As a non-professional guitarist, one great instrument is more than enuff.

kurt1981
11-19-2006, 03:29 PM
Hey guys, I just wanted to say, I think it's horrible how prices just soared after Tom gave the news. It saddens me to see people trying to capitolize on this ending of production. I'm just thankfull that I got my TA before this all went down, and I plan to try to order a new Tom guitar, once the initial insanity wares off next year. Good luck Tom!
Kurt

Barry
11-19-2006, 03:56 PM
Hey guys, I just wanted to say, I think it's horrible how prices just soared after Tom gave the news. It saddens me to see people trying to capitolize on this ending of production. I'm just thankfull that I got my TA before this all went down, and I plan to try to order a new Tom guitar, once the initial insanity wares off next year. Good luck Tom!
Kurt
Hopefully the people who are doing this will be deleted from the TAG dealers list . Greed . Everyone should boycott those dealers next time you need a TAG . Like you I'm also thankful that i acquired my Cobra this year . Ill wait until it all subsides and then see about a Atom .

HiG
11-19-2006, 05:07 PM
I'm very happy with the TAGs I have. Would still like a Cobra, but that can wait until things settle down a little. I just got back from a trip and this news kind of freaked me out, but I can fully understand being tired of the boss thing. I wish all at TAG the best of luck in their future endeavors, and extend a BIG THANK YOU for building the best guitars I've ever played. As for the price gougers, shame on you. Andersons have always been built first and foremost with the musician's needs in mind, not as ornaments.

BoraBora
11-19-2006, 09:28 PM
Right now I'm fully content with the 2 Classics I have. I'll see what the situation is a year from now in terms of buying a new Anderson. :)

mbrown3
11-20-2006, 11:44 PM
Yeah, I've not gotten any response through the alley either...

wreckfan
11-21-2006, 12:56 AM
Oh - thought it was just me. i emailed Brian about selling my Hollow-T-Classic but did not get a response - figured he was just not interested. Maybe the email link does not work?

replayboy
11-21-2006, 07:31 PM
Ditto to that, i tried contacting them about a new TA, got no answer :confused:

michaelomiya
11-22-2006, 01:33 AM
Ditto to that, i tried contacting them about a new TA, got no answer :confused:

best to try Brian at the shop:)

Devnor
11-22-2006, 11:18 AM
I ended up buying two new Hamer Standards.

Robotechnology
11-22-2006, 05:53 PM
With HUGE thanks to Roy who went ABOVE & BEYOND for me and thanks to Teddy at Make'n Music I was able to succeed in procuring a slot so I can get my DREAM Anderson next year! So option 1 for me :D Anderson Guitars customer service is unreal. A lot of people say that but, seriously it is!

entraind
11-22-2006, 11:13 PM
Above and beyond is Roy's usual mode of operation, welcome to the best customer service of any company ever, in my experience. And in the end you get this amazing guitar!...Glad you got a slot, I got under the wire as well -- I'm psyched. :)

Pietro
11-24-2006, 05:20 PM
I have wanted to own an Anderson for YEARS. Never could afford it. Now I'm leading worship in a church in Western PA and really wanted a Crowdster Plus... So... On Tuesday I found one at one of my favorite dealers. He wasn't gouging, the color was perfect... Got it on Wednesday. I am beside myself with joy! Checked today and there doesn't seem to be many Crowdster Pluses left on the web at any rate... I'm glad I moved fast...

Wish I could afford one more... Maybe an Atom someday...