PDA

View Full Version : Anderson Ingenuity-strap buttons

pluto
02-03-2004, 08:06 PM
After owning only Anderson guitars over the last five years, I never really gave it a thought on how the extra strap button on the butt of the body was such a stroke of genius in terms of practicality. I recently bought a (gasp!) non Anderson that has the typical one strap button on the butt middle end of the body. Everytime I lean the guitar against the wall, I have to make sure it won't fall. As it is, it leans towards one end and it has already fell down once when I put it down the other day (on carpet, thank God!). Andersons are always balanced when I stand them on the ground because of the two strap buttons. In any case, I just thought I would pass on the info. you guys all knew-that Tom Anderson fella is a guitar genius!! An extra strap button??? Who would've thought how useful that would be!

michaelomiya
02-03-2004, 08:21 PM
I'll "second" the "Mr. Anderson's a genius" sentiments, and add that he's also a heckuva nice guy! All of TAG's folks are friendly and approachable - seems like a prereq for working there;)

jimmieb
02-03-2004, 10:38 PM
Originally posted by michaelomiya
I'll "second" the "Mr. Anderson's a genius" sentiments, and add that he's also a heckuva nice guy! All of TAG's folks are friendly and approachable - seems like a prereq for working there;)

That Roy(maybe) is such a poser. He thinks he's as clever and witty as the real Roy, as if!!!

Jimmie B

tom
02-03-2004, 11:12 PM
i can't take credit for the two strap button thing. i saw it on the dan armstrong guitars, i can't remember if it was the clear ones or the wooden ones with the sliding pickups. i think dave schecter brought it to my attention. i had les paul's that always fell over. i always hated carrying a guitar stand.

pluto
02-04-2004, 12:05 PM
Alrighty then, we'll just have to call Tom a "quasi-genius" then!

Stys
02-04-2004, 04:49 PM
You know what is really great about the double strap button? With the older style Anderson guitar straps, the two holes on the bottom on the strap are in equal line with the strap buttons. Two secure attachments - who could ask for more?

dannopelli
02-04-2004, 10:35 PM
Do they have to have two buttons?

-CM-
02-04-2004, 10:53 PM
Carvin also puts 2 strap buttons on their Tele-shaped H2 - Holdsworth model. I'm not really sure who started it first.

tom
02-04-2004, 11:42 PM
we will do a single button if you ask for it that way.
the dan armstrong guitar was middle 70's, so i think it would be first. then there was the guild that had two rubber bumpers and the fold out stand built in to the back though.

jimmieb
02-05-2004, 01:40 AM
Originally posted by tom
i can't take credit for the two strap button thing. i saw it on the dan armstrong guitars, i can't remember if it was the clear ones or the wooden ones with the sliding pickups. i think dave schecter brought it to my attention. i had les paul's that always fell over. i always hated carrying a guitar stand.

Tom,

What about the angled neck joint? Was that your invention? Why is that feature not on the Crowdster? It looks like it's a pain to do,
Is there a special jig set up on your CNC machine? It's hard to imagine the Z control or depth control cutting so gradual an angle
without a lot of sanding afterwards. By the way, how much CNC work is used in making an Anderson guitar? Is a TACO neck a compound radius? And lastly what is the secret to living a good life? (After so many questions I thought I'd throw that one in aswell)

Jimmie B

tom
02-06-2004, 12:31 AM
in order.
we were making bodies and necks for another custom builder, and he was having us do a straight angle from the center line of the guitar. i thought it could be abit more graceful and made it follow the natural hand position instead. i really wanted the crowdster to have an acoustic feel so we didn't carve it up.
we make vacume jigs for all the stuff we cut on the cnc. the machine is made to cut metal, so it can interpolate a several thousandth's of an inch slope over it's 40" table length. anything that looks like it is drilled, routed of carved is done on the cnc. there is way more time spent in all the hand work after it comes off the cnc.
all our necks have a conical 12"-14" fingerboard surface.
i think putting others first is a good start. acknowleging where your gifts and talents come from is also big. being comfortable in your skin helps a lot too.

jimmieb
02-06-2004, 02:59 AM
Tom,

WOW! I didn't expect any answer to the last question. Very profound, concise, and to the point. You know, I'm only begining to feel comfortable in my skin, funny how long it can take to know who you are and be content with it. I find myself sitting here trying to respond to what you wrote and all I can say is Hmm and connect to a time and place were those principles played out in my life. Thanks, it's good to remember how far God has brought me... it's been a wonderful walk with lots more to come!

Jimmie B

PS Still, I do wish I had more natural guitar playing ablity... I'm not completely content, maybe I just need more dicipline to practice?
Lifes answers are never easy!

John Price
02-06-2004, 07:43 PM
You got to love a guitar with a built in stand!!!:D