PDA

View Full Version : Collings Electrics

Buckeye
10-26-2006, 03:20 PM
I'm curious if any member of this forum has had a chance to play (or perhaps own!) any of the Collings electric models recently introduced. They seem to be creating a bit of a buzz! In addition to my TA Hollow Cobra S and Hollow T Classic, I have a Collings acoustic (0002HG) that is outstanding and wonder if their electrics are equally phenomenal (though I believe the price tags are significant).

Anyway, just curious regarding any scoop available through this forum about these instruments.

:cool:

olectric
10-26-2006, 04:44 PM
I have a Collings acoustic (C-10 Deluxe), and I love it. Never played one of their electrics, though. Knowing the quality of my acoustic, I'm sure they are amazing and worth the price. Also, I played a $13k Collings archtop a couple of years ago out of Mass St.'s owner Jim Baggett's private collection--and I think that it is worth every penny of $13k.

Just like TAG, anything Collings does is going to be pretty awesome.

sylvanshine
10-26-2006, 05:23 PM
I played a City Limits and it is pure bliss. It played effortlessly. The quality, fit, finish are far beyond anything I've ever played in a single cut. Imagine Anderson quality on a Les Paul.

I'd take a $3,700 R9 on stage, but not a Collings. It is far too pretty. I buy guitars to play/gig and I would be far too concerned about dinging that work of art.

GuitarNorton
10-26-2006, 08:05 PM
I've just saw picture on the net and they look great but they ani't cheap:eek:
After having stainless steel frets in my Les Paul for a couple years now I'll never buy another guitar that doesn't have them. I'll just keep saving my money for an atom.

pluto
10-27-2006, 08:51 PM
I want to play one badly, but the prices are pretty eyepopping! I think I have to settle for my atom until i can save my pennies!

googoobaby
10-27-2006, 09:55 PM
An Atom isn't exactly "settling". :) Maybe TAG will come out with special edition matching plastic knobs to help kill the pain.

mbrown3
10-27-2006, 10:08 PM
No kidding, superior in just about every way (even price)!

pluto
10-27-2006, 10:22 PM
Too true guys. I didn't write "settle" with the atom to mean that the atom is lesser in quality. I meant it more in terms of price.

Woodash
10-28-2006, 12:51 PM
I played their 335-style the other day (I-35??). Very nice guitar with a lot of nice touches: pearloid v/t knobs, pearloid truss rod cover, etc. Fit and finish was really nice as was the playability. Very nice indeed. Priced pretty high, but the market will probably support it right now, given the current hype. I personally think it will be tough to sustain the price very long after the initial fascination wears off. I could be wrong.

I'd like to have their 290 model, actually. This is a 2xP-90 with Lollars. Very nice, and much more affordable.

Seems to me that the Collings have really borrowed heavily from the Stevens guitars that I've seen.