PDA

View Full Version : Not for the TAG purist...relic content

sylvanshine
10-21-2006, 01:28 PM
WARNING: This thread may contain images that some viewers might find difficult to watch....a relic Anderson. :)

OK, background first before the pics. I bought an unfinished HTC body from Tom in the garage sale he held on this forum. Sent it to RS Guitarworks to have it painted in black nitro and then road warrior level of wear. I used all of the parts from my 1999 sunburst HTC (except the body), aged them myself and then pieced everything together when I got the body back last week. The pickguard is from Warmoth and the neck pickup is a Voodoo 59, but everything else is Anderson.

All right, you've been warned. Here is the best playing relic T I've ever played. The thing rings like a bell, feels like an extension of your body and plays effortlessly across the entire fretboard.

http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n109/sylvanshineband/HTCRelicfull.jpg
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n109/sylvanshineband/HTCRelicbody.jpg
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n109/sylvanshineband/HTCRelicback.jpg
http://i110.photobucket.com/albums/n109/sylvanshineband/HTCRelicGrovers.jpg

brian b
10-22-2006, 12:32 AM
Very cool piece

Guitarded
10-22-2006, 10:22 AM
Jay... I am tempted to say you have a little too much time on your hands, but I love what you've done, man! :D
That is a keeper! especially when you describe how it plays... I would love to hear that neck pickup...

JoeB63
10-22-2006, 11:15 AM
I don't like the way that looks. Kind of looks like you just left it out in the rain. Sorry.

funalij
10-22-2006, 11:54 AM
It's a strange sensation to see a relic TAG .

Does it sounds good? The best important thing.

But one question, How age pieces affect the final sound? I supposse a rust saddle is not the best to get the best sound, or is?

sylvanshine
10-22-2006, 04:38 PM
I don't like the way that looks. Kind of looks like you just left it out in the rain. Sorry.
Oh damn, now my aging techniques are out in the open. Good eye All Star.

sylvanshine
10-22-2006, 04:43 PM
It's a strange sensation to see a relic TAG .

Does it sounds good? The best important thing.

But one question, How age pieces affect the final sound? I supposse a rust saddle is not the best to get the best sound, or is?

It sounds amazing. I feel that a lot of the tone comes from the hollow body and the thinner paint. The saddles aren't really rusted. The plating is gone, and the exposed metal takes on some unique looks when treated.

guitarzan
10-23-2006, 01:45 PM
I also bought one of the bodies and bridges to put together a project guitar. I'm, however, selling it now. The project lost steam for me (yes, you can say "I told you so", ToneLounge).

details here (http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?p=1704365#post1704365).

enjoy.

GaryMcT
10-23-2006, 03:28 PM
I'm not likely to ever buy a relic'd guitar, but that looks pretty cool! My only complaint would be that the back has taken too much belt-buckling! :)

sylvanshine
10-23-2006, 04:35 PM
Not if you saw my belt buckle....
http://www.hotbuckles.com/images/BuckleA186.jpg

Drew
10-23-2006, 07:05 PM
I love beat up guitars. Looks good to me.

FFOGG
10-23-2006, 09:10 PM
looks cool

crash
10-24-2006, 07:24 PM
I love beat up guitars. Looks good to me.

I suppose there are lots of folks doing this now, but there's a guy on the northside of Indianapolis who custom-builds relic Teles.
http://www.klhcustomrelics.com/gallery.htm

I've borrowed the white one on his site for gigs - sure, they can't touch an Andy for playability, but they're attention-getting. People (guys, mostly) usually think they're cool. My wife, on the other hand, saw it and just shook her head.

He also will relic existing guitars - I can't imagine taking him an Andy to do, but someone might.

tom
10-24-2006, 09:41 PM
it's interesting to me that guys like that can get away with selling trademarked items. i guess it's just a matter of time till they hit fender's radar.

GaryMcT
10-24-2006, 09:58 PM
Do they actually sell guitars, or do you buy a Fender guitar and send it to them to weather?

crash
10-25-2006, 06:05 AM
Do they actually sell guitars, or do you buy a Fender guitar and send it to them to weather?

His website doesn't have much detail on services for guitars you bring him, but I know he does that a lot. I don't know about every guitar, but the I know white one pictured on the website is a actually a new 60s resissue Tele that he's reliced and reloaded with better electronics.

So I think that's the MO.

Anyway, sorry for the derailment - I just meant to point out that the whole 'relic' vibe is funny. I have an pretty beat-up Strat and it always gets more attention than anything else I might have, from guys anyway.

BrianH
10-25-2006, 12:53 PM
Jay... I am tempted to say you have a little too much time on your hands, but I love what you've done, man! :D
That is a keeper! especially when you describe how it plays... I would love to hear that neck pickup...Jay with time on his hands - if you only knew! I'm busy trying to figure out when he actually gets time to sleep.
As for the guitar - it is amazing sounding, feeling and playing. Maybe not for everyone, but it drew a crowd at our shop (with rave reviews).

Stys
10-25-2006, 04:17 PM
There is a guy - Bill Nash at www.nashguitars.com who sells relics. I was surprised too see the headstock on his guitars are Fender. The guitars appear to be nice but, I wonder how long until Fender shuts him down.

crash
10-25-2006, 05:08 PM
There is a guy - Bill Nash at www.nashguitars.com who sells relics. I was surprised too see the headstock on his guitars are Fender. The guitars appear to be nice but, I wonder how long until Fender shuts him down.

I would imagine that Nash and others use Fender-licensed replacement necks (MM, Allparts, Warmoth, etc), which gives them the proper shape...

... but notice how careful Nash's site is NOT to show the front of a Fender-style headstock up close - where you see if there's a 'Fender' logo?

I'd guess that's the real issue.

Stys
10-25-2006, 07:12 PM
I read a story about the Nash Timewarp guitars in Tone Quest Report and I recall him saying he does order his parts from the big part replacement distributors.

Perhaps since he is using parts authorized by Fender, he can build and sell his guitars.

GaryMcT
10-25-2006, 07:13 PM
I read a story about the Nash Timewarp guitars in Tone Quest Report and I recall him saying he does order his parts from the big part replacement distributors.

Perhaps since he is using parts authorized by Fender, he can build and sell his guitars.

He says on his site that he uses licensed parts.

sylvanshine
10-26-2006, 04:57 PM
While some might not agree or approve of what I did with a legitimate Anderson body, it is at the most in bad taste. Not illegal. Let's not turn this thread into anything more than what it is...an Anderson loving guy posting pictures of his version of the perfect old T.

tom
10-26-2006, 06:53 PM
where'd that come from jay? i think everyone is talking about the nash guy making guitars with the fender trademarked headstock. i didn't read any negative directed towards you. we know you wouldn't make us look bad.

Stys
10-26-2006, 07:08 PM
Here are a couple other guys doing the relic thing:

www.jeffsennguitars.com
www.revelatorguitars.com
www.klhcustomrelics.com

The relic market seems to have a large audience.

sylvanshine
10-26-2006, 09:43 PM
where'd that come from jay? i think everyone is talking about the nash guy making guitars with the fender trademarked headstock. i didn't read any negative directed towards you. we know you wouldn't make us look bad.
I'm sure that I am being over sensitive Tom, and I assure you I'm not feeling attacked here. Relics aren't for everyone, and I know that from watching these threads get heated on other forums. I just wanted to remind everyone that this was a thread about one guitar and not a referendum on relics. I don't approve of the guys that are out there infringing on trademarks.

Consider my outta left field post as a pre-emptive strike.

Group hug. :)

sylvanshine
10-26-2006, 10:16 PM
Yeah, that's why I put the big teeth smiley at the end. Not attacking anyone, well....maybe builders putting fake decals on their creations. Otherwise, I think your self-made relic is cool.

Message boards are a hard thing to translate sometimes. My message was meant to be funny and taking a jab at my acquaintance for being a knucklehead.
I got that. But thanks for the clarification. Again, just trying to be proactive so this thread doesn't take a turn.

tom
10-27-2006, 10:02 AM
we love you jay.

guitarzan
10-27-2006, 10:27 AM
we love you jay.

Brokeback Tom. :D

olectric
10-27-2006, 11:24 AM
I'm sitting here in my brand new "destroyed wash" jeans, thinking, "man, that guitar looks AWESOME." I would love to see it in person; I'm sure the pics do no justice.

The only thing that seems pointless to me about relic-ing (not to be confused with "relicing," which means "to lice again" :D ) an Anderson is that they already play sooooo well and feel really broken in. Jay, what are the differences in feel between this and your other Hollow Ts that are not relic-ed?

sylvanshine
10-27-2006, 11:26 AM
we love you jay.
I love y'all too. Actually, the plural of y'all is all y'all. So I love all y'all.

sylvanshine
10-27-2006, 11:40 AM
Jay, what are the differences in feel between this and your other Hollow Ts that are not relic-ed?
The biggest difference I can tell is that the top seems to resonate more than the original body. I really think there is something to a thin nitro finish. Given a choice, I'm always going to go with the durable UV cured finish that Tom does so well. But in this case, it's moot since I don't care if it gets all scratched up.

There are certain places on the body where you can tap with your finger and really hear how thin the top wood is. I don't get that sensation on a Tom painted body.

No judgements here. Neither is "better", just different. It's nice to have choices in life.

olectric
10-27-2006, 11:54 AM
There are certain places on the body where you can tap with your finger and really hear how thin the top wood is.

I just got my trans yellow HTC back in a trade, and I have noticed how thin the top felt (not in a bad way) as well. Maybe trans paint jobs are thinner than opaque finishes.

tom
10-27-2006, 01:04 PM
all the finishes are the same thickness, same number of coats. sparkle's probably have .002" more paint. alder tops, like yours jay, always tap louder as they are not as stiff as ash or maple. i have built several guitars with no finish and was disapointed with the tone of all of them. they sounded thin to me.