PDA

View Full Version : Fender 65 Deluxe Reverb Reissue

Casper
10-12-2006, 07:10 AM
Considering this amp very seriously. My bud has an original and I love the clean it gets. I haven't run pedals through it yet, but I like the 22 watt thing and love the warm and sparkly sound I get with my Classic with SDs. Haven't played my DT with H2+ yet.
Anybody own one of these? Gigging/Reliability/Road worthy? I have a Fender Champ 25 I use at rehearsal and love that little Monster, other than that, never have owned a Fender Tube amp. Had some solid state stuff back in the 80's and it held up great. I have been using a modded Peavey Classic 30 for the last 10-12 years on the road nearly without fail, but the DRR has it beat in tone. Or maybe I just need to hear newness? Any thoughts.?
thanks-Shaun

olectric
10-12-2006, 08:41 AM
I've heard great and terrible things about that amp...the terrible stuff coming mostly from people who own/play the real deal. Seems that everyone is really quick to say that it's nothing like the original. Hmm, really? Completely different era of parts (PCB for one), different tubes, different speakers, and lacking about 30-40 years of age. Of course, it's not the same thing. But you can get close for pretty cheap.

Lots of guys replace the speaker with a Weber 12F150 or an Eminence Red, White, and Blues (just got one myself for $65), and replace the GTs with JJs. Just those two steps make an incredible world of difference.

I just bought a Silverface Deluxe Reverb (thanks LonestarGtr), and I love everything about it. Haven't played a reissue except at GC a looooong time ago. A DRRI might be a wise buy for me as well so that I don't haul the Silverface around everywhere I go. Good luck with your purchase!

guitarzan
10-12-2006, 09:17 AM
Like, Olectric, I've heard mixed reviews. It's really hard to wade through them, though, because some guys won't dig a Reissue BECAUSE it's a reissue and not the real deal. My two thoughts are:

1) the RI is gonna run you $5-600 on a good used deal. You can get a silverface for maybe a hundred or $150 more. You're so close to the price of a vintage one, why not go that road?

2) Unless of course, you wouldn't feel comfortable punishing it with the rigors of being a travelling guitarist. If that's the case, buy what you can easily replace with no emotional baggage.

My particular view is that the DRRI sounds good enough to gig with, and who are we kidding?, we're gonna turn the knobs on any amp we have until it sounds like the tones we hear in our head. What those knobs are attached to almost becomes secondary. :)

Just my $.02

(Olectric: email me and tell me about your SF)

kurt1981
10-12-2006, 09:22 AM
Hey, I've done a lot of work with the reissues, and a few originals. I think the silverface option is the way to go. The super, twin, and deluxe reissues all have this weird fizziness to them, especially with any kind of dirt pedal. The silverface models really take pedals well, and have a more open sound to them, it sounds less harsh, in my opinion. To be fair, I didn't replace any tubes or speakers, I figured I'd rather spend the extra bucks getting an older one. One reissue I do like is the vibroluxe, that's a nice amp, and with new tubes it's almost perfect. Silverface vibros are fairly cheap as well.
Hope this helps,
Kurt

picnic
10-13-2006, 11:47 AM
+1 for the DRRI. I just got a year old one with a Weber California (2" paper cone). $575 $799 new at GC. Nice amp clean and it liked the TS9. Saggy with the tube rectifier and that was a nice sound too. It's not in the same league as my Mesa Lonestar 2x12, but I liked it almost as much.

I played next to a 72 SFDR and the DRRI sounded fine. We not gear snobs in our group so the reissue thing isn't an issue. The other guitarist was using a HR Dlx and he is seriously considering selling it and buying a DRRI.

If vintage grade does matter, SFDR's go on auction blocks often in the $800-900 range. I don't think you can go to wrong with either amp. If you don't like it, they are easy to sell with not much of a dollar loss.

Casper
10-13-2006, 12:00 PM
I miss the classic Fender Spank with the slight sag that this amp gives. Being that my amp stays pointed at me from less than 5', I think Volume will not be an issue..slap a e609 Senn on it and find some cool pedals to match up with it. Been looking to get rid of the modeling processor (RP14d) for awhile.
Thanks for the help y'all. Back to basics I say...
Shaun

pappy
10-17-2006, 09:07 PM
I've got one for sale in the "Other Gear" section. My HDT Classic, which is also for sale :(, sounds awesome through it.

Casper
10-18-2006, 05:40 AM
Too late, I pulled the trigger on a 65 last week from Musicians Friend. Got it yesterday. I cannot wait to gig with this thing. Good luck on the sale though.
BTW, Mine came with a Jensen...I wonder if that makes a difference with the Fender you have in yours? I'll play with mine for awhile before I decide if I need to mod it. I hope its road worthy too. All those tubes worry me..but the Peavey held up great on the road.
Time to go shopping for Barber pedals!;)
Shaun

pappy
10-18-2006, 07:23 AM
No worries. Mine has an Eminence which most will say sucks but, despite planning to replace it after I bought the amp, I think it sounds great.

Good luck with that. Those DRRI's are great amps at a great price.

dannopelli
10-19-2006, 12:41 AM
Considering this amp very seriously. My bud has an original and I love the clean it gets. I haven't run pedals through it yet, but I like the 22 watt thing and love the warm and sparkly sound I get with my Classic with SDs. Haven't played my DT with H2+ yet.
Anybody own one of these? Gigging/Reliability/Road worthy? I have a Fender Champ 25 I use at rehearsal and love that little Monster, other than that, never have owned a Fender Tube amp. Had some solid state stuff back in the 80's and it held up great. I have been using a modded Peavey Classic 30 for the last 10-12 years on the road nearly without fail, but the DRR has it beat in tone. Or maybe I just need to hear newness? Any thoughts.?
thanks-Shaun

Dave has my old one. I loved it but just not needed.