PDA

View Full Version : Mcpherson acoustics

West
10-02-2006, 05:29 AM
Does anyone own (prefered) or has played a Mcpherson acoustic,i've been conning myself that i can afford a kevin Ryan :eek: if it's second hand,and has beltbuckle rash and it's back and sides are made of balsa :D when i stumbled on these Mc p's i even read a post on the gear page were a member had a ryan and a mc p and intimated they were on a par with each other,the mc p is just about affordable to me,any thought's ??

cheers West. ;)

Stys
10-02-2006, 03:23 PM
I tried one a few months back. The guitar has an interesting concept and it plays great fingerstyle or strummed. Quality is far superior than Taylor. Tone is subjective but I found the guitar to be loud with clarity. I suppose you have to ask yourself if the design is something you could live with. I prefer a more traditional style.

Like you, I would love to get a Ryan but my pocket says no until at least next year.

West
10-02-2006, 04:51 PM
Thanks for the comments stys,i dont have any probs whatsoever with the new syle and concepts and the traditional aspect dosnt bother me, how did you find the profile of the neck ? according to mcpherson who sent me some dimensions it is a soft V ? i have small hands and like a fast low profile neck i'm going to have to speculate a lot of £££'s without trying one,or like you wait till i can afford a ryan.

cheers West.

Stys
10-02-2006, 07:08 PM
The neck felt like it had a bit of 'V' to it. Not as much as the traditional electric 'V'. It is a fast neck and my small hands felt comfortable on it.

Check out: www.dreamguitars.com They often have used Ryan's in stock along with many other luthiers.

Another builder who has a nice design in the $4000 price is: www.hamblin-guitars.com A bit of a Breedlove design with a nicer headstock.

enr1co
10-02-2006, 10:58 PM
I played a couple McPhersons yesterday at Gryphonstrings.com-

MG 4.5XP Madagascar/Carpathian
MG 5.0XP Brazilian/Adirondack

Really nice sounding but as Stys mentioned -"subjective".

The sound port location does provide the sensation that
your head is in the guitar. Its an amazing experience the first time
you play one as its like nothing else. After a few more minutes
it started sounding a bit too bass-y for my tastes. The neck is
low profile and fast but it does have a slight v-feel past the 5th.
Fit and finish was as excellent as should be expected on a guitar
at this price point.

Ive bought and sold a few Ryan Mission Grand concerts but the
first one I ever played at the 03 Healdsburg guitar fest felt like nothing else before. It was a "basic" rwsd/cedar top with Kevin's magic built in to it which even made a hack like me sound decent.

Never thought I would spend that much on a one guitar but found myself selling off all three of my "mid priced guitars" to afford one.

Its a tough call without playing either but if your are leaning towards
a Ryan, you wont regret staying the course.

BTW- fineacoustics.com currently has two of the MGC that I once owned. Looks like he has lowered the price dramatically on the koa/adi which is a fabulous sounding and looking guitar. Someone is going to get a smokin' deal!
e

West
10-03-2006, 03:36 AM
The neck felt like it had a bit of 'V' to it. Not as much as the traditional electric 'V'. It is a fast neck and my small hands felt comfortable on it.

Check out: www.dreamguitars.com They often have used Ryan's in stock along with many other luthiers.

Another builder who has a nice design in the $4000 price is: www.hamblin-guitars.com A bit of a Breedlove design with a nicer headstock.

Thanks again Stys for the info, wish i could try one for my self,the hamblin looks interesting, but there is actually a ryan dealer in england,i may get to try one !

cheers West.

West
10-03-2006, 03:43 AM
I played a couple McPhersons yesterday at Gryphonstrings.com-

MG 4.5XP Madagascar/Carpathian
MG 5.0XP Brazilian/Adirondack

Really nice sounding but as Stys mentioned -"subjective".

The sound port location does provide the sensation that
your head is in the guitar. Its an amazing experience the first time
you play one as its like nothing else. After a few more minutes
it started sounding a bit too bass-y for my tastes. The neck is
low profile and fast but it does have a slight v-feel past the 5th.
Fit and finish was as excellent as should be expected on a guitar
at this price point.

Ive bought and sold a few Ryan Mission Grand concerts but the
first one I ever played at the 03 Healdsburg guitar fest felt like nothing else before. It was a "basic" rwsd/cedar top with Kevin's magic built in to it which even made a hack like me sound decent.

Never thought I would spend that much on a one guitar but found myself selling off all three of my "mid priced guitars" to afford one.

Its a tough call without playing either but if your are leaning towards
a Ryan, you wont regret staying the course.

BTW- fineacoustics.com currently has two of the MGC that I once owned. Looks like he has lowered the price dramatically on the koa/adi which is a fabulous sounding and looking guitar. Someone is going to get a smokin' deal!
e

Thanks enrico :D i know they were different wood combo's but was the difference between the 4.5 and the 5.0 basically volume?

i quite like the look of the pierre bensusan Ryan,i believe kevin makes one with a slimmer neck,and your choice of wood,i like an understated satin finish,i also like the pegless bridge like a lowden.

Have you tried one with the Bevel ? how does it affect the sound and playability?

many thanks cheers West.

Stys
10-03-2006, 05:01 PM
I saw Pierre Bensusan this past April and he was playing his signature Ryan. It had a cedar top with rosewood body. Not much bling. However, he sounded incredible. I got there early and was able to sit right in front so I got to hear more of the guitar from the stage as opposed to the PA. The Ryan sounded incredible. His older Lowden had a nice warm tone but the Ryan just cut through with punch and clarity.

enr1co
10-03-2006, 11:05 PM
Didnt notice much of a difference in volume between the two despite
adi tops and increased depth of the 5.0.

Played the a rswd/cedar nightingale a few years back with the MGC but
tone difference was not discernable at the time.

Have you had a chance to call Kevin to discuss the Bensusan model?
Hes very helpful and patient with all questions and more concerned with
making an instrument for your needs as opposed to just selling one - just like the folks at the Anderson factory :)

Best of luck! e

btw-heres a pic of my ryan- I also prefer to go with less of the inlay bling but had to have my koa ;)

http://images.andale.com/f2/115/106/3577307/1118278633778_Ryan_collage.jpg

West
10-05-2006, 05:13 AM
Absolutly stunning enrico !!! is that cocobolo binding with the koa?

the mcpherson (basic model) was attrative beause of the $4000 price just over 2 grand for me over here, i think the basic for the Ryan bensusan model is $7500 i dont know if i Want! to afford that,bearing in mind it's 20.5% on top to get it in to england, i have one other choice and thats to get a lowden with some custom appointments ? the money that would be spent on taxes and shipping to go in to the guitar itself instead? Mmmm.....

cheers West.

mbrown3
10-05-2006, 08:12 AM
Man, why anyone would spend $7,500 on any guitar and not just apply it to an Olson is beyond me.

tom
10-05-2006, 11:25 AM
different guitars for different things. my olson would not the the guitar of choice for heavy strumming stuff. 10 years ago i went on an acoustic guitar binge so i hve a handful of too expensive guitars. lance mccollum makes a darn nice guitar. it is a wonderful compliment to the olson. wouldn't want to give up either of them.

tom
10-05-2006, 11:27 AM
also, $7500 is a pretty big stretch for most people, and that only gets you to about half of an olson these days.

mbrown3
10-05-2006, 01:35 PM
Yeah, I remember just a few years ago when they were in the $6k-$8k range. They've gone up with demand, I guess.

enr1co
10-05-2006, 01:46 PM
Absolutly stunning enrico !!! is that cocobolo binding with the koa?
cheers West.

Thanks West- cocobolo is used for the body binding, rosette, back strip and back strap.

Guitarded
10-05-2006, 02:37 PM
a bit of a misdirection but since you are already in the UK... I have tried some older Lowden guitars... nice sound, but didn't 'ring' the way I wanted it to... and then I found a small body SP-32 that knocked me down... traded a vintage Martin for it 2 years ago and have not regretted the decision... marvelous for finger picking and strumming

Stys
10-05-2006, 07:02 PM
All these high end acoustics all have special, individual characteristics however, Larrivee Guitars have a unique tone with a much lower price point. Plus, many of the independent builders who have become successful on their own apprenticed under Jean Larrivee. For just over $1500 a Larrivee 05 series is a sweet instrument that sounds great and records well. Woth a look if you want a high quality factory acoustic. Geez, with the money saved you could purchase another Anderson!!!

enr1co
10-05-2006, 11:53 PM
different guitars for different things. lance mccollum makes a darn nice guitar.

Lances guitars are superb. Ive a couple friends with his guitars and they sound great. Would love to get this beauty currently on da bay' but Ive met my koa quota this year -sez the boss ;)

http://cgi.ebay.com/McCollum-Acoustic-Guitar-Cedar-Figured-Koa_W0QQitemZ330035387788QQihZ014QQcategoryZ2385QQ rdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

http://i7.ebayimg.com/04/i/07/cf/83/ab_12.JPG
http://i2.ebayimg.com/04/i/07/d9/58/6f_12.JPG
http://i7.ebayimg.com/05/i/07/cf/83/88_3.JPG

West
11-25-2006, 05:14 AM
I have bumped this older thread as a thanks to stys and enrico,and anyone else that chipped in,i finally got my acoustic, a lowden F35c Sitka spruce/flamed Koa it's stunning !! in every respect visually/sonically glad i went with a spruce top for my taste,i am very pleased i went with this guitar i got it 30% off retail as well,a real gem:D

no pics yet but i will try and post some if i can stop playing it;) i was lusting after a ryan (maybe one day) nearly purchased a mcpherson off evil bay,but in the end i cant imagine being more pleased :D these new Lowdens are top notch imho much better than the older ones and lets not even mention the avalon issues.

cheers West.

Allamricn
11-25-2006, 01:39 PM
some very good info in this thread & opened my eyes to some different options for acoustics. Thanks

Guitarded
11-25-2006, 09:14 PM
Thanks for the bump! That is really good to hear!!
I agreed with Stys when he commented
I saw Pierre Bensusan... and he was playing his signature Ryan. It had a cedar top with rosewood body. Not much bling. However, he sounded incredible. I got there early and was able to sit right in front so I got to hear more of the guitar from the stage as opposed to the PA. The Ryan sounded incredible. His older Lowden had a nice warm tone but the Ryan just cut through with punch and clarity.
I love the understated elegance on my Lowden, and the newer Lowdens have a superior sound that really grab my attention and 'cut through' far better than the older models I have heard. One day, Lord willing, I may be able to get my Ryan, too, but in the meantime I am a very happy camper with my Lowden, as I am sure you are now and will be for a long time.:D