PDA

View Full Version : Gibson Les Paul Class 5

FFOGG
09-21-2006, 07:14 AM
I have been searching for about a year for the right double humbucker guitar and while I love all my Ta's and I have owned 6 and presently own 2 I need to get another Les Paul .I have had 2 over the years but parted w/ both mainly be/ of weight issues .
I have my final choice narrowed down to Chambered Class 5 Les Paul in a Black Cherry burst wh/I can't find a picture of anywhere on the web to post to get opinions from anyone but its a different color than Gibson produces more like a PRS color .It plays great and sounds wonderful but the color doesn,t sit right in my minds eye .
Query 1 does anyone have a Class 5 and what do they think of it ???
Query 2 My other choice is 1958 Cloud Nine wh/ is in the same ball park as far as price and in comes in traditional Gibson colors i.e. varios shades of cherryburst etc etc ...
Can anyone do a comparison for me .

Thanks no mas Les Paul questions after this only TA questions

tmihm
09-21-2006, 08:25 AM
I have had 2 over the years but parted w/ both mainly be/ of weight issues .

Sadly....I retired my '80 LP Artisan because of the weight. (Bad back....jeez...wonder how I got that? :rolleyes: .....10 pounds...every day) When I did try to 'go back', I couldn't adjust to the radius and size of the neck.

Now I stick with my TA's and my one CS Strat. And the PRSi from time to time.

Good luck with the LP quest. Hope ya get a good one!

Terry

Sixx
10-01-2006, 12:01 PM
I believe the Class 5s have a 60s slim taper neck. If I remeber correctly it is similar to the neck profile of the R0 (60 Reissue). The 58 will have a significantly fatter 50s profile neck. The neck profiles ar pretty different.

I tend to like the 58s more because of the neck. I also like the more traditional look on a Paul. I would also think your resale value would be better on the 58 because it is more traditional.

Nothing like a nice Paul.