PDA

View Full Version : Harmonizers

MDWood
01-31-2004, 03:05 PM
Hopefully someone could provide me with a little advice as to where I could find a harmonizer effect that would provide smart harmony notes for lead guitar solos. In this case, I would not need a pitch shifter that adds a perfect third above or below the lead notes within a scale but one that adds true harmony notes within a designated key signature and/or chord structure.

Does such an effect currently exist for the guitar? Would I need to consider a vocal processor unit--would one of these even work for the guitar?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Mark

dpeterson
01-31-2004, 03:42 PM
I use to have a an eventide h3000 se that would do it, but you had to put in the key / scale you were playing. Needless to say thats kind of a pain, and the thing was around $2000.

Digitech made a fairly inexpensive one called the ips33 and then the ips33b that supposedly worked very well. Steve Vai even had one in his rack with his H3000. Thats all I really know.

good luck.
Dave

SteveK
01-31-2004, 06:32 PM
Yeah, back in my rack days I had a Digitech IPS 33. Worked great for Iron Maiden and Thin Lizzy with 1 guitar player. Had to program the scales, keys, and intervals to different presets though.....

MDWood
02-01-2004, 05:57 PM
Thank you Dave and Steve. I had heard a little about the Eventide DSP7000 and was a bit discouraged by the whole rackmount thing as well as the visual complexity of the unit from pictures on the web. In addition, I was afraid the cost was going to be too intense--thanks for the confirmation. I will try out the Digitech based on your recommendations.

Mark

John Price
02-02-2004, 09:27 AM
The best that I 've heard would be the T.C. Electronic G-Force... the tracking was very tight with a very fat note definition.... check out some recent Frank Gambale and you will hear it all over his recordings........

:)

MDWood
02-02-2004, 08:13 PM
Thanks John--this is very helpful.

Mark