PDA

View Full Version : TA Guitar building timeline?

AndyK
09-18-2006, 01:02 PM
I was just curious as to how long it takes to build a guitar (Drop Top, for example), and, what order is followed?

For example, I ordered my guitar a month and 10 days ago. So, is the neck built first, then the long wait begins for a body, etc? Or, do you wait to go down the list of orders, and build a guitar in a few days?

Is there a timeline somewhere that explains what happens between order and serial number stamping (or lasering)??

Thanks!

sylvanshine
09-18-2006, 01:15 PM
"The waiting is the hardest part".

Only advice I can give is be patient. It always takes longer than you expect or were told...but it is also SO worth the wait.

AndyK
09-18-2006, 01:18 PM
I know, I'm not rushing anyone! I'm just curious! :D

pluto
09-18-2006, 01:45 PM
I thought the biggest thing that determined time was when the dealer that you ordered the guitar from has his available slots? So, if your dealer's available slot wasn't until March next year, you won't get your guitar then at the earliest.

AndyK
09-18-2006, 02:18 PM
No, I'm not asking when the soonest my guitar will be ready. I want to know the timeline of ANY guitar being built.

If a dealer has a slot for October, is the guitar started in August, September, etc? How long does it take to build a neck? Stuff like that.

tom
09-18-2006, 02:28 PM
dealer slot is the beginning. we work back from there. we start by carving the neck 2-3 months prior to the delivery date, usually 3. the neck then sits for a month or more to do it's stress relieving before the final fingerboard radius is done and it is fretted and sanded. then the body is made and they are matched for painting. the painting process usually takes a month even though we are not working on it that whole time. then there's the pile of stuff that's ready for final assembly. that pile could include a month or so of stuff so that we will always have stuff to build even if there is a problem with parts supply or any one of zillion other things that can go wrong along the way.
so in a nut shell, from when we start working on it, it's about a 3 month process.

AndyK
09-18-2006, 02:30 PM
Interesting! Thanks for the info Tom!!

pluto
09-18-2006, 03:34 PM
No, I'm not asking when the soonest my guitar will be ready. I want to know the timeline of ANY guitar being built.

If a dealer has a slot for October, is the guitar started in August, September, etc? How long does it take to build a neck? Stuff like that.

Ahh, I see, sorry about that.

Barry
09-18-2006, 03:55 PM
Interesting! Thanks for the info Tom!!
That is very interesting . I will tell you i received my first Anderson the first week of August and it was definately worth the wait . The word precision first comes to mind when desribing it . you will experience a high happiness factor !

enr1co
09-18-2006, 05:45 PM
or any one of zillion other things that can go wrong along the way.

...or customers who always want to swing by the shop and take progress photos of their order ;)

e

kccheers
09-18-2006, 07:22 PM
So, Enrico....how IS the new Atom coming?

Your friend in Mystery Wood.....

Sam

enr1co
09-18-2006, 10:31 PM
Hi Sam!

At the end of Aug month it was in the "then the body is made and they are matched for painting. the painting process usually takes a month even though we are not working on it that whole time. then there's the pile of stuff that's ready for final assembly. that pile could include a month or so" stage. However, Tom let me get too close to it and I may have gotten some krispy kreme glaze and drool on it which may have required it to be resanded again ;)
Maybe October-ish?

michaelomiya
09-19-2006, 09:16 AM
...or customers who always want to swing by the shop and take progress photos of their order ;)

hey....that was my thought exactly! (Not like that would ever apply to me):rolleyes: :D

michaelomiya
09-19-2006, 09:19 AM
then there's the pile of stuff that's ready for final assembly. that pile could include a month or so of stuff so that we will always have stuff to build even if there is a problem with parts supply or any one of zillion other things that can go wrong along the way.

I will add that TAG does NOT like stuff "sitting" around the shop, and will do everything to expedite when the neck and body are ready for assembly. However, when you order something really retro....like BLACK tuners (yuck:eek: ;) ), things will take time!:D

pluto
09-19-2006, 06:09 PM
I will add that TAG does NOT like stuff "sitting" around the shop, and will do everything to expedite when the neck and body are ready for assembly. However, when you order something really retro....like BLACK tuners (yuck:eek: ;) ), things will take time!:D

Who, in their right mind, would buy a guitar with black tuners? :D

pluto
09-19-2006, 06:11 PM
Hi Sam!

At the end of Aug month it was in the "then the body is made and they are matched for painting. the painting process usually takes a month even though we are not working on it that whole time. then there's the pile of stuff that's ready for final assembly. that pile could include a month or so" stage. However, Tom let me get too close to it and I may have gotten some krispy kreme glaze and drool on it which may have required it to be resanded again ;)
Maybe October-ish?

enrico, what specs are you getting on your atom? Inquiring minds want to know!

picnic
09-19-2006, 08:07 PM
To those of you waiting, you have more patience than me. Waiting for a TA would drive me nuts. I have some patience, but I waited for a custom acoustic several years ago and remember the wait less than enjoyable. Fortunately, TA's QAC is so dependable, I found a guitar that matched my specs in a dealer's inventory. I ordered the HTC and it came in a few days, just like I expected with the tones and feel to match. Maybe someday a custom order will happen, but for now I'm happy.

michaelomiya
09-20-2006, 01:20 AM
Who, in their right mind, would buy a guitar with black tuners? :D

those with discriminating and impeccable taste.....not like you'd be able to recognize any of those traits:eek: :rolleyes: ;)

enr1co
09-20-2006, 02:38 AM
enrico, what specs are you getting on your atom? Inquiring minds want to know!

ey Mark,
Pretty much vanilla specs except for-
"Who, in their right mind, would buy a guitar with no front dots? :D "
and my "b-day, first name initial, serial # :D

MODEL: Hollow Atom
FINISH: Light shaded edge with binding
BODY BACK COLOR: same
BODYWOOD: Maple top on Mahogany
NECKWOOD: Mahogany with Indian Rosewood Fingerboard—no front dots
HEADSTOCK FINISH: Match Gloss
NECKBACK FINISH: Match Satin
NECK BACKSHAPE: Atom Standard
NUTWIDTH: 1 11/16-inch
FRETS: Heavy
BRIDGE: Wraparound
TAILPIECE: N/A
HARDWARE COLOR: Black (Nah, jus kiddin'- got chrome ;) )
PICKGUARD: N/A
PICKUP RINGS or COVERS: N/A
NECK PICKUP: H1
MIDDLE PICKUP: None
BRIDGE PICKUP: HW3A
SWITCHING: 5-Way
STRING GAUGE: .010-.046
CASE: required
ADDITIONAL SPECS: Locking Tuners, Customer specificed serial# “12-09-60E”

mbrown3
09-20-2006, 08:35 AM
Funny...I ordered my Atom with no front dots too. Love that look! Walnut top, though.

AndyK
09-20-2006, 10:44 AM
ey Mark,

Customer specificed serial# “12-09-60E”

You can ask them to do a custom serial number?? Is there an upcharge for that, or what? :confused:

enr1co
09-20-2006, 01:50 PM
Funny...I ordered my Atom with no front dots too. Love that look! Walnut top, though.

I have an acoustic with no front dots and also love the all wood look!

pluto
09-20-2006, 02:03 PM
ey Mark,

MODEL: Hollow Atom
FINISH: Light shaded edge with binding
BODY BACK COLOR: same
BODYWOOD: Maple top on Mahogany
NECKWOOD: Mahogany with Indian Rosewood Fingerboard—no front dots
HEADSTOCK FINISH: Match Gloss
NECKBACK FINISH: Match Satin
NECK BACKSHAPE: Atom Standard
NUTWIDTH: 1 11/16-inch
FRETS: Heavy
BRIDGE: Wraparound
TAILPIECE: N/A
HARDWARE COLOR: Black (Nah, jus kiddin'- got chrome ;) )
PICKGUARD: N/A
PICKUP RINGS or COVERS: N/A
NECK PICKUP: H1
MIDDLE PICKUP: None
BRIDGE PICKUP: HW3A
SWITCHING: 5-Way
STRING GAUGE: .010-.046
CASE: required
ADDITIONAL SPECS: Locking Tuners, Customer specificed serial# “12-09-60E”

Looks cool. What's light shaded edge (I'm assuming it's natural)? No front dots is cool. I used to have two w/o front dots. I did have a more difficult time selling them though (of course, in hindsight, I shouldn't have sold them!).

enr1co
09-20-2006, 03:42 PM
Looks cool. What's light shaded edge (I'm assuming it's natural)? No front dots is cool. I used to have two w/o front dots. I did have a more difficult time selling them though (of course, in hindsight, I shouldn't have sold them!).

I know that I go thru favorite color phases so just decided on the low key natural look :)