PDA

View Full Version : Best software to turn my PC into an amp & effects?

m_lance
09-10-2006, 07:50 PM
Moving into a small house so won't have room for my amp & pedalboard. What's the best software that would make my computer sound similar?

Ideally, I'd like to plug the guitar into the sound card (w/ no preamps or other H/W) and have the computer model amps and effects so that when I play along with iTunes songs, I'll hear both the songs and my guitar (with amp & effect models) coming out of the speakers simultaneously.

Low cost is preferable (I could probably do all this with Pro Tools, but don't want to spend hundreds of dollars if I don't have to). Doesn't have to sound that great ... just for practice between gigs.

jeepster
09-11-2006, 08:28 AM
There are many software solutions out there...and they change yearly.

My first choice for your situation would be a Line6 Pod XT live.

Seamless integration in/out of the computer interface, great sounds - and also could serve as a nice stage backup amp if needed.

Has the ability to function as a "soundcard" to allow you to play/woodshed through headphones in real-time. Also has inputs for your I-pod.

ryman150
09-11-2006, 09:42 AM
Line6 Guitar Port was one of THE coolest things I've ever used. Great for having fun and practicing!!

killerburst
09-11-2006, 10:00 AM
There are decent software solutions like Amplitube Live, but without high-quality sound hardware, the latency of your integrated soundcard is going to make it really difficult to use. You're probably looking at 20-30ms or more from the time you pick a note to the time your speakers spit out the modeled version of that note. You will need some sort of interface with low-latency ASIO drivers. Alesis has the iO/2 for $149 which is USB bus powered and has decent drivers. It has 2 mic pres, S/PIDF and MIDI in a compact chassis. Comes with Cubase Le.

There's also Guitar Rig 2 which comes with a pedal board/audio interface if you have the space for it.

olectric
09-11-2006, 10:07 AM
There's also Guitar Rig 2 which comes with a pedal board/audio interface if you have the space for it.

+1. I know some guys in town who use GR2 for session work. :eek:

GaryMcT
09-11-2006, 03:08 PM
Guitar Rig 2 sounds surprisingly good, especially if you don't use their presets. :)

googoobaby
09-11-2006, 05:37 PM
What about something like a Zoom G2 and a small pair of powered speakers? Cheap, reasonably sounding (or so I'm told), and quite capable too. No latency issues either...

Duotones
09-12-2006, 05:33 AM
Line6 Guitar Port and POD XT would be the best choice.

Line6 Tone port is OK. But if you use it only for guitars, Guitarport or POD XT would be better. If you want to use it for guitars, basses, and vocal recording, toneport will be all you want.

GaryMcT
09-12-2006, 02:17 PM
Guitar Rig 2 sounds surprisingly good, especially if you don't use their presets. :)

. . and to add to this, I agree with the other folks here that dealing with latency is a pain with any software solution.