PDA

View Full Version : Floyd Rose Speedloader

killerburst
01-30-2004, 11:25 PM
Tom-

Will this be an option in the near future?

tom
01-31-2004, 12:04 AM
i doubt it. i can't imagine making a guitar that relies on strings that only come from one place. what happens if it doen't catch on and they stop making the strings? very expensive firewood?

killerburst
01-31-2004, 09:38 AM
According to Floyd, it's a direct replacement for the OFR, so worst case you install tuners and replace the bridge and nut with the original version. He actually has plugs for the tuner holes in the headstock that have the same mass as modern tuners. In any case, the wood parts could be used with either bridge version. Floyd's no dummy.

michaelomiya
01-31-2004, 08:03 PM
No offense, KB, but at the NAMM show, not 200 feet away from Tom & co., the Floyd Rose booth had an Anderson neck w/ the speedloader "plugs" (w/o the tuners). :eek: :eek: :eek:

needless to say, the guys were not amused, and from an aesthetic view, it looked really weird (w/ plugs where the tuners normally go). FWIW, just my 0.02.

killerburst
02-01-2004, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by michaelomiya
No offense, KB, but at the NAMM show, not 200 feet away from Tom & co., the Floyd Rose booth had an Anderson neck w/ the speedloader "plugs" (w/o the tuners). :eek: :eek: :eek:

needless to say, the guys were not amused, and from an aesthetic view, it looked really weird (w/ plugs where the tuners normally go). FWIW, just my 0.02.

No offense taken. I saw Floyd's booth and I saw the neck. Who was not amused? Tom? I didn't think to ask Tom about it at the show, but I would have thought Tom would be honored that Floyd thinks enough of Tom's work to use that neck as the example to show the whole industry. Do you know how long Floyd worked on this new design? Floyd showed it to me at NAMM 3 years ago, if that's any indication. Do you think he would choose to associate anything but the best when showcasing his new baby. I would think that was a compliment to Tom. But I'm not Tom (obviously), so maybe he was insulted. Sorry if that's the case, Tom. I won't bring it up again.

As far as aesthetics are concerned, some people think that a Floyd Rose bridge looks weird. I really don't care about anybody else's aesthic sensibilities but my own (no offense). I have a pretty open mind when it comes to new technology for musical instruments. Heck, every innovation that ever happened to the guitar was new at some point! What do you mean that guitar is solid?! Gasp!:eek:

tom
02-01-2004, 02:22 PM
i took no offense, floyd had sent the guitar to us some time ago for evaluation. it just didn't send me. it feels a little like a problem has been solved that did not exist for me, and a new problem was created. i now have to buy strings from him and hope he can be more consistant producing them than everyone who proceeded him has been. i am so hooked on elixer strings, that i wouldn't consider using icky scratchy feel like their dirty dead sounding after half a gig before i'm ready to change them and i never really want to spend the time changing them anyway strings. i guess you get the point. i like floyd, i bought one of his made in the basement bridges when i was at schecter decades ago, and have been friendly with him ever since. this product just isn't for me.

killerburst
02-01-2004, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by tom
i took no offense, floyd had sent the guitar to us some time ago for evaluation. it just didn't send me. it feels a little like a problem has been solved that did not exist for me, and a new problem was created. i now have to buy strings from him and hope he can be more consistant producing them than everyone who proceeded him has been. i am so hooked on elixer strings, that i wouldn't consider using icky scratchy feel like their dirty dead sounding after half a gig before i'm ready to change them and i never really want to spend the time changing them anyway strings. i guess you get the point. i like floyd, i bought one of his made in the basement bridges when i was at schecter decades ago, and have been friendly with him ever since. this product just isn't for me.

Imagine if Elixir offers Speedloader strings- the time spent changing strings will be diminished even more, right? When you do change them, it will now take 3 minutes instead of 23. No more Allen wrenches! It seems the reason I like the Speedloader is the same reason we both like Elixir strings- more time playing, less time maintaining. Not trying to sell you on the bridge, I just don't think our interests are that far apart. Maybe I'm an optimist, but if anybody can make lighting strike twice, Floyd can. BTW, he's partnered up with Hyman P. again, and we know how well those two did together with Kramer (although they don't have EVH this time). I'll get word to Hyman that we need Elixir Speedloader strings and see what we can do.

michaelomiya
02-01-2004, 04:45 PM
Originally posted by tom
i took no offense, floyd had sent the guitar to us some time ago for evaluation. it just didn't send me.

:( tom, sorry for the misinterpretation!