PDA

View Full Version : New to Andersons. Want to spec one. Any ideas would help.

dannopelli
01-30-2004, 02:08 AM
Hey, I 'm new to this. I have a few PRS, Fenders, LP's etc. Play Mesa F30 or Fender Evil now, but considering a Dr Z.

I play a blend of rock and jazz, so I need to be able to cover tunes like Funny Valentine, and Satin Doll as well as Oye Como Va, Stay, etc.

I'd like to be able to do it all with one guitar.

Obviously all the rock guitars, Strats, PRS Custom, LPs, are fine for the rock portion of the night. I actually usually use a Strat or PRS Custom rewired to split either or both PUPS. But the jazz just does not sound right, and its a pain to carry my PRS Hollow around. Plus in some clubs my amp is so close I can't make it not howl. And switching guitars is a bit too cumbersome and IMHO a bit too much flash. I already have to swap to acustic a few times.

So I have played several Andersons and just love them. I do a lot of extended chording and the Buzz Feiten is perfect! But I am afraid the Drop tops are just a bit to Fender sounding for the jazz stuff. But most of the Cobras are a bit too agressive. I have yet to play a hollow Cobra.

I am considering a Hollow Cobra S, and am intrigued by the new M PUPS. I prefer a wider neck with a slim profile, I think Anderson calls these Standard? And I need to have tremlo.

So I defer to all you experts. Any ideas? The local music store says they can reserve a future slot with a guitar to my specs, and I'd like to do that. Please help!

Thanks in advance.:)

dannopelli
01-30-2004, 09:10 AM
Bump.

No help? I could use a few ideas. I'm looking at a lot of bucks for a guitar I don't know too much about.

Thanks in advance!

Tom Gross
01-30-2004, 09:10 AM
Hey! Richmond!

I use my Hollow Cobra for jazz and rock/blues. The neck pickup gives a wonderful jazzy sound, and the split-coil sounds are the best in the business. I have HO1+ and HO1- pu's in it.
The volume knob tames any aggressiveness.

My hollow Cobra S has P90's, so it has a beautiful clean, but the jazzy tone is not as rich as the humbuckers.

dannopelli
01-30-2004, 09:14 AM
Originally posted by Tom Gross
Hey! Richmond!

I use my Hollow Cobra for jazz and rock/blues. The neck pickup gives a wonderful jazzy sound, and the split-coil sounds are the best in the business. I have HO1+ and HO1- pu's in it.

My hollow Cobra S has P90's, so it has a beautiful clean, but the jazzy tone is not as rich as the humbuckers.

THANKS TOM! I was considering P90's so I am glad to hear your opinion. Right now I am thinking of going with the same PUP config as yours.

But I still am considering the M PUPS.

Any one know about the M PUPS? Will they sound nice and full without being overly agressive?

Tom Gross
01-30-2004, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by dannopelli
THANKS TOM! I was considering P90's so I am glad to hear your opinion. Right now I am thinking of going with the same PUP config as yours.

Since we're in the same town, Email me if you're interested in checking out my guitar(s).

ToneLounge
01-30-2004, 10:27 AM
I'm currently playing a Cobra (not hollow) with the three mini humbuckers. In my experience, you could do everything you're looking to do with this guitar. It goes from chimey to fat, funky to full bodied, clean to mean to scream with all of the nuances in-between. I've owned 9 Andersons since 1987 and this is by far the best sounding guitar with the widest range of them all.

I've been doing a record all week, I'll ask later today if I can get some sound clips.

Brian

dannopelli
01-30-2004, 10:35 AM
Thanks!

All this input has been a big help. And I have read quite a few posts from some of the other forums.

Right now I am considering a clear finish with medium frets, M1 M1 and M3, hollow Cobra S with Tremelo.

Any pics of your guitar?

Dan

ToneLounge
01-30-2004, 10:39 AM
My Cobra has M1/M1/M2 and the trem bridge - highly recommended.

Sorry, no photos (or digital camera for that matter).

B

Stan Malinowski
01-30-2004, 12:20 PM
I also have a Hollow Cobra S with the HO1+/HO1- pickups. I agree with Tom that the neck pickup will get you into the "Jazz Realm". The HO series pus were designed after PAF pickups as far as output. I think you'd be pretty happy with this combo, I am!

dannopelli
01-30-2004, 05:59 PM
Thanks again for all your help!

dannopelli
02-01-2004, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Stan Malinowski
I also have a Hollow Cobra S with the HO1+/HO1- pickups. I agree with Tom that the neck pickup will get you into the "Jazz Realm". The HO series pus were designed after PAF pickups as far as output. I think you'd be pretty happy with this combo, I am!

Stan,

I just checked out your guitar pics! WOW!

I really like the two 2003 models, especially the color of the Drop Top.

Are the 2003's personalized tops?

Stan Malinowski
02-01-2004, 10:58 AM
Are the 2003's personalized tops?

Nope Danno, just luck of the draw on both tops. I custom ordered the Cobra S and the Yellow HDTC was purchased used. Forum member BFC was the original owner of the HDTC, I bought it from the person he sold it to.

You're from Richmond - my wife's company is headquartered in Richmond - McKesson General Medical. I travel a few times a year to Norfolk/Virginia Beach on business at the Naval bases.

dannopelli
02-01-2004, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by Stan Malinowski
Nope Danno, just luck of the draw on both tops. I custom ordered the Cobra S and the Yellow HDTC was purchased used. Forum member BFC was the original owner of the HDTC, I bought it from the person he sold it to.

You're from Richmond - my wife's company is headquartered in Richmond - McKesson General Medical. I travel a few times a year to Norfolk/Virginia Beach on business at the Naval bases.

Lucky!

Hey when you go to Norfolk do you check out Audio Light and Music? And if you get to Richmond check out Richmond Music Center. Both have a nice selection of high end guitars and amps. The store in Norfolk has a better website IMHO.