PDA

View Full Version : GOTW is great, but.......

Dave K
08-28-2006, 10:41 AM
...I think it has medium frets and not heavy. The serial number search states medium, as does the dealers home page.
Did Roy just tease me thinking I might have found my next Atom? ;)

tom
08-28-2006, 11:05 AM
he is a teaser.

pluto
08-28-2006, 01:10 PM
About a couple of weeks ago, I told Nathan at Eddies (via email) that I couldn't believe he ordered medium frets. The medium frets definitely killed my GAS. I can't remember the last time I saw an Anderson with anything smaller than heavy frets.

tom
08-28-2006, 01:45 PM
we do lots with medium frets. i like them because they are just as tall, but feel less bumpy to me.

pluto
08-28-2006, 01:56 PM
Well, there goes my theory!! I'm always checking out the net for TAGs in stock, and the atom special at Eddies was the only one that I've seen in quite a while with medium frets. I wonder if it's because the only guitars I specifically look at are the cobras, atoms and drop tops as opposed to the classics and hollow-t's (the more vintagey type TAGs).

Barry
08-28-2006, 02:18 PM
we do lots with medium frets. i like them because they are just as tall, but feel less bumpy to me.
Thats interesting, So the size of the fret wire refers to the width and not the height ? I have four strats and one of them was refretted years ago with a bigger fret wire than what came stock . It definately sounds different than the others, seems to sustain better or longer . I know everything goes into the big picture of how and instrument sounds . wood, strings, bridge, amp, and of course the room you are playing but the fret wire definately made that particular strat sound better in my estimation

tom
08-28-2006, 03:00 PM
i afraid that after playing 11,000 of our guitars, i can't say that i can tell by listening what size frets are in any particular guitar. how well frets are installed(are they loose) and how well they are dressed(leveled and crowned) can definitely make a difference in how a guitar sounds.

Barry
08-28-2006, 03:14 PM
i afraid that after playing 11,000 of our guitars, i can't say that i can tell by listening what size frets are in any particular guitar. how well frets are installed(are they loose) and how well they are dressed(leveled and crowned) can definitely make a difference in how a guitar sounds.
I can certainly say that its the first thing I noticed when I played a Tom Anderson guitar . The detail in the frets . I just remember thinking, whoa , different ballpark here . I would have to say it was the main thing that made me want to own an Anderson . The stunning top and the sound was a very big plus as well but the neck is what really did it for me . Ive only been playing an Anderson for a month but i understand what all the fuss is about now ! Absolute joy to gig with . :D

Barry
Cobra 07-17-06N
www.toyzzband.com

AndyK
08-28-2006, 03:22 PM
Not that I'm a fan of "relic" guitars, or "aging" parts...but that plain top Atom would really look like a vintage 50 year old guitar if the finish was a little cracked, and the bridge was a little aged!!

I'm the guy that cleans my guitars with a microfiber cloth to remove every finger print! But that plain top needs some murphy aging, I think!?

Barry
08-28-2006, 04:20 PM
Not that I'm a fan of "relic" guitars, or "aging" parts...but that plain top Atom would really look like a vintage 50 year old guitar if the finish was a little cracked, and the bridge was a little aged!!

I'm the guy that cleans my guitars with a microfiber cloth to remove every finger print! But that plain top needs some murphy aging, I think!?

I suppose "relics" and "aged" parts are cool looking but theres something about that whole thing I just cant get by . Why not get out and play the dang things and age them yourself ! I own a 62 reissue strat i bought in 1984 and i've managed to relic it very nicely without really trying . I try not to ding mine up too badly but they are made to play . Tools of the trade in my eyes . They are made to be worked . Mine dont get cleaned as often as they should but I do like to keep good strings on them . When the strings lose the brightness they are out of there for me .

Dave K
08-28-2006, 04:43 PM
The medium frets definitely killed my GAS.

+1
If it had heavy or jumbo wire I would've made the call. Not that I need another guitar or anything. ;)

AndyK
08-28-2006, 08:43 PM
I suppose "relics" and "aged" parts are cool looking but theres something about that whole thing I just cant get by . Why not get out and play the dang things and age them yourself ! I own a 62 reissue strat i bought in 1984 and i've managed to relic it very nicely without really trying . I try not to ding mine up too badly but they are made to play . Tools of the trade in my eyes . They are made to be worked . Mine dont get cleaned as often as they should but I do like to keep good strings on them . When the strings lose the brightness they are out of there for me .

A 62 Strat reissue is a tool of the trade. A $3k TAG is something to be cared for and protected! So I guess it's all relative!

Barry
08-28-2006, 09:08 PM
A 62 Strat reissue is a tool of the trade. A $3k TAG is something to be cared for and protected! So I guess it's all relative!
Let me be clear , I was'nt actually telling "you" to get out and play the dang thing and relic it yourself I just ment in general, however i do feel they are made to be played regrdless of the their price . At least thats my approach to them. Im a gigging player and that envoirment is bit tougher on an instrument than in a studio or at home . Im not implying that you are one type of a player or another but you get where I'm going with it . A fender reissue strat is what it is but it also does some very cool things just as a TAG does . I respect your opinion . But as you say it is all relative .

michaelomiya
08-28-2006, 09:38 PM

thanks for clarifying tom, I was starting to think that my S&S DT was going to be considered an "oddball" w/ the medium SS. :rolleyes: :D

michaelomiya
08-28-2006, 09:40 PM
Well, there goes my theory!! uh huh! :D

pluto
08-29-2006, 12:04 AM
thanks for clarifying tom, I was starting to think that my S&S DT was going to be considered an "oddball" w/ the medium SS. :rolleyes: :D

6105s are for wimps! :D

michaelomiya
08-29-2006, 01:55 AM
6105s are for wimps! :D

and YOU could honestly discern the difference between 6105, 6150 or 6230 by sight OR by touch?! :rolleyes: :p

pluto
08-29-2006, 02:04 AM
and YOU could honestly discern the difference between 6105, 6150 or 6230 by sight OR by touch?! :rolleyes: :p

The differences between frets are easily discerned grasshopper-I look at the spec sheet. :D

Janine Doubly
08-29-2006, 07:03 AM
I fell in love with the medium frets on Classics, I am certain I would love them on an Atom as well.

Rupe
08-29-2006, 09:29 AM

I think that's a very short-sighted comment. I play my TA Hollow Classic hard. The gold is wearing off the harware and screws, there are a few cracks in the finish...typical player wear. To say a TA shouldn't be used as a "tool of the trade" is ridiculous. Where better to use it than live...where it can be appreciated in all of its glory?
I "care for and protect" all my guitars, but they also get played like they were meant to. Why have a guitar of that quality only to sit at home and pamper it, playing it at low volume where its true sonic qualities won't ever be heard?
They're not meant to be pampered, they're meant to be PLAYED!
Just my .02 :D

michaelomiya
08-29-2006, 09:30 AM
personally, I've found that 6105 work best for me. And yes many of my friends have preferences towards Anderson Heavy and 6100s (jumbo? why?). too me 6100's are like playing a bass guitar neck. and while the Anderson heavy frets definitely seem in between a 6105 and 6100, I've moved away from even that. I do like a "narrower" base, but as I understand it, the Anderson mediums are similar in height (fret board to the top of the fret). And the Anderson mediums have a slightly different crown (more squared off)?

tom
08-29-2006, 10:11 AM
the medium and jumbos are round on top while the heavies are more triangular.

Barry
08-29-2006, 10:21 AM
I think that's a very short-sighted comment. I play my TA Hollow Classic hard. The gold is wearing off the harware and screws, there are a few cracks in the finish...typical player wear. To say a TA shouldn't be used as a "tool of the trade" is ridiculous. Where better to use it than live...where it can be appreciated in all of its glory?
I "care for and protect" all my guitars, but they also get played like they were meant to. Why have a guitar of that quality only to sit at home and pamper it, playing it at low volume where its true sonic qualities won't ever be heard?
They're not meant to be pampered, they're meant to be PLAYED!
Just my .02 :D
Thanks Rupe, Thats really what i was trying to get across . Mine are played in smokey rooms quiet often and they get covered in sweat, etc..and at 1:00 - 2:00 a.m. things tend to get dinged or knocked around because everyone is tired and trying to get the gear torn down and get home . I do take care of my Anderson but it will get dinged eventually even at the 3K price tag ! Having said that i suppose if you paid for it you can protect it at home or do anything else you want to do with it .

dannopelli
08-29-2006, 02:29 PM
Thanks Rupe, Thats really what i was trying to get across . Mine are played in smokey rooms quiet often and they get covered in sweat, etc..and at 1:00 - 2:00 a.m. things tend to get dinged or knocked around because everyone is tired and trying to get the gear torn down and get home . I do take care of my Anderson but it will get dinged eventually even at the 3K price tag ! Having said that i suppose if you paid for it you can protect it at home or do anything else you want to do with it .

This is one of those "topics", kind of addressed in a different thread I saw here recently.

I can tell you, in my collection I have seven Andy's and about ten CS Fenders. I like the Fender NOS and like to "relic" them myself. I just watch them carefully and clean them when I get home. And if they get banged, oh well.

That said, all the Andy's have seen and will continue to see live work. Only one has the tiniest ding. I am REALLY that careful. The CS' Fenders? Well the ones with the figured necks don't get out too much and are in pristine condition, but the others do go clubbing. Hell I dropped one on a concrete floor once! Was more pissed at myself than anything.

Bottom line for me, I have NOTHING against anyone buying anything and using it as they see fit. I too have a 62 Strat and Tele, and a 57 Strat and 52 Tele, that I use for those gigs that at questionable venues.

The above is JUST MY OPINION! Play what and however it makes you happy!

Barry
08-29-2006, 04:01 PM
This is one of those "topics", kind of addressed in a different thread I saw here recently.

I can tell you, in my collection I have seven Andy's and about ten CS Fenders. I like the Fender NOS and like to "relic" them myself. I just watch them carefully and clean them when I get home. And if they get banged, oh well.

That said, all the Andy's have seen and will continue to see live work. Only one has the tiniest ding. I am REALLY that careful. The CS' Fenders? Well the ones with the figured necks don't get out too much and are in pristine condition, but the others do go clubbing. Hell I dropped one on a concrete floor once! Was more pissed at myself than anything.

Bottom line for me, I have NOTHING against anyone buying anything and using it as they see fit. I too have a 62 Strat and Tele, and a 57 Strat and 52 Tele, that I use for those gigs that at questionable venues.

The above is JUST MY OPINION! Play what and however it makes you happy!
I also have a 62 tele & strat and 57 strat & 52 tele all reissues that have seen quite a few gigs. They are actually in very good shape considering they range in age from 22 years to 2 years. Very nice instruments in my estimation.I didnt mean to sound like im like a bull in a china shop just that they will eventually get dinged usually by someone other than myself (bandmates) . I would be lying if i said i didnt pay a bit more attention to my Cobra but im sure it will show signs of wear soon enough .

MapleGuitar
08-29-2006, 09:01 PM
I fell in love with the medium frets on Classics, I am certain I would love them on an Atom as well.One day I would like to try mediums on a Crowdster.

Has TAG ever shipped a Crowdy with medium frets?

tom
08-29-2006, 09:07 PM
we did a couple. didn't care for them myself with the heavier strings. felt a little like a cheese slicer to me.

michaelomiya
08-29-2006, 11:47 PM
the medium and jumbos are round on top while the heavies are more triangular.

thanks for clarifying! muchos gracias!! :p

wreckfan
09-04-2006, 12:07 PM
The medium frets are just a bit smaller than the jumbo and seem to seat a tad lower on maple necks making them very fast. My drop top with maple and medium frets is by far the fastest guitar I have ever played.

I watched the final assemby on a beautiful red Atom with a Bigsby when I stopped by the Anderson factory. I was thinking a the time that the best way to order one would be with medium frets. The only problem is that I still want a Cobra (S) - so it looks like I'll have to get two more !!

Barry
09-04-2006, 12:33 PM
The medium frets are just a bit smaller than the jumbo and seem to seat a tad lower on maple necks making them very fast. My drop top with maple and medium frets is by far the fastest guitar I have ever played.

I watched the final assemby on a beautiful red Atom with a Bigsby when I stopped by the Anderson factory. I was thinking a the time that the best way to order one would be with medium frets. The only problem is that I still want a Cobra (S) - so it looks like I'll have to get two more !!
Im thinking on my next Anderson i will be going with medium frets . I have heavys on my cobra and im fine with it but after reading Toms description of the shape of the mediums I'm inclined to think i would be happier with them .