PDA

View Full Version : Straplocks

guitarguy3
08-26-2006, 10:22 AM
OK, all my guitars come dressed with Schaller straplocks. On my Andys I used the lower strap pin on the back side. With few exceptions the straplock screws always come loose and have to be tightened before each use. On several I have tried the Elmers glue and toothpick method with some modicom of success, but ultimately these little puppies always seem to come loose. Maybe they just want to be free! Has anyone put any type of lubricant in the portions that lock together, like maybe rubbing with bar soap. Just a thought. Please reply if you have any solutions
Thanks and Cheers

michaelomiya
08-26-2006, 12:40 PM
OK, all my guitars come dressed with Schaller straplocks. On my Andys I used the lower strap pin on the back side. With few exceptions the straplock screws always come loose and have to be tightened before each use. On several I have tried the Elmers glue and toothpick method with some modicom of success, but ultimately these little puppies always seem to come loose. Maybe they just want to be free! Has anyone put any type of lubricant in the portions that lock together, like maybe rubbing with bar soap. Just a thought. Please reply if you have any solutions
Thanks and Cheers

since I stopped doing the Cinderella/Vai/Yngwie - "throw the guitar behind my back"- thing years ago, I've not had the need to use the straplocks. However, we used to have our Charvel bodies loaded w/ the picks (as needed) and superglued on installation for a really tight fit. The techs always said that it better to not keep trying to re-install the locks, as that would make the holes looser. (we were teenagers, who knew about "common sense"?!) The locks were always just snapped in, so no issues there.

bruce
08-26-2006, 02:45 PM
In using the screws supplied with the stratplock system, they use a smaller diameter screw. The reason is so the head of the screw fits inside the male part of the straplock.

So if your guitar was built with wider diameter screw and you replace it with a more narrow screw, you will eventually have a loose situation.

You may have to modify the head of a wider screw to fit into the male part of the strap button... I do it all the time.

pipedwho
08-26-2006, 05:33 PM
In using the screws supplied with the stratplock system, they use a smaller diameter screw. The reason is so the head of the screw fits inside the male part of the straplock.

So if your guitar was built with wider diameter screw and you replace it with a more narrow screw, you will eventually have a loose situation.

You may have to modify the head of a wider screw to fit into the male part of the strap button... I do it all the time.

+1, the Schaller included screw is way too small to be taken seriously for a straplock anyway. Use a full sized screw that matches the thread of the existing pin and do as Bruce says! Just put the screw into a drill and spin it against a sanding block, grinder, linisher, or dremel with a grinding bit.

I normally clean most metal parts on the guitar with a tiny amount of oil and wipe off until it no longer feels oily. This stops the surfaces from corroding and would probably also help stop the Schallers from binding (BTW I've never had that problem so it can't hurt).

AndyK
08-26-2006, 06:41 PM
+1, the Schaller included screw is way too small to be taken seriously for a straplock anyway. Use a full sized screw that matches the thread of the existing pin and do as Bruce says! Just put the screw into a drill and spin it against a sanding block, grinder, linisher, or dremel with a grinding bit.

I think Bruce meant widen the screw hole on the strap lock, so you can use the original Anderson screw--no?

bruce
08-27-2006, 01:48 AM
I think Bruce meant widen the screw hole on the strap lock, so you can use the original Anderson screw--no?

No, I meant to do what pipedwho mentioned... modify (narrow) the screwhead.

GaryMcT
08-27-2006, 03:42 AM
Anyone know the specs on the screws that are used on the factory strap pins? I'm not sure if I have my originals around, and I have this problem. I don't remember if I used the original screw or not when installing the straplocks.

AndyK
08-27-2006, 09:42 AM
No, I meant to do what pipedwho mentioned... modify (narrow) the screwhead.

Ohhh...the screw HEAD. I thought hole. Makes more sense now!

tom
08-27-2006, 04:12 PM
we use a stainless #6x 1" phillips oval head.