PDA

View Full Version : Got my 2nd Anderson today.

danyeo
08-10-2006, 01:40 AM
I got a Hollow Drop Top to go along with my Cobra S. I have owned some really nice guitars in the past Suhr, PRS, Gibsons, Jackson, Strats, Ibanez, etc, but for me, these guitars just feel and sound right! Whatever right means i don't know. Though i can see myself getting another LP, but I'll NEVER need a Strat because my Drop Top does what no Fender can do with that Switcheroo system.

I traded for the Drop Top and i was taking a big chance on it because i played a friends limited Edtion Suhr he owned. It was a chambered body and it had a beautiful top. The second i played it i knew i didn't like the tone, it wasn't focused enough, sounded a little thin, and just didn't sound good for hard rock or metal. But this Drop Top just sounds soo good from metal to clean EJ type styles. I'm really suprised these Hollow Drop Tops can sound this good for rock. Well, here's some pics.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v371/danyeod/amps%20and%20guitars/Captured2006-8-900001.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v371/danyeod/amps%20and%20guitars/Captured2006-8-900002.jpg http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v371/danyeod/amps%20and%20guitars/Captured2006-8-900003.jpg

FFOGG
08-10-2006, 05:48 AM
Very Nice Congrats

sean
08-10-2006, 09:16 AM
Nice one!What a top :eek:
I dig the color.
Congrats and enjoy.

pluto
08-10-2006, 02:27 PM
That cobra s top is cool!

enr1co
08-10-2006, 04:19 PM
Congrats on the new Andy!

Love both of the tops especially the wide quilted Cobra S!

Enjoy!

AndyK
08-10-2006, 06:23 PM
Congrats on the new Andy!

Love both of the tops especially the wide quilted Cobra S!

Enjoy!

Is that wide quilting, or flame?? Killer colors...very vintage!

tom
08-10-2006, 06:40 PM
wide and long tubular quilt. it's quilt that is quartersawn. bubbly quilt is slab cut.

AndyK
08-10-2006, 08:34 PM
wide and long tubular quilt. it's quilt that is quartersawn. bubbly quilt is slab cut.

Ah. Interesting. So, does that hold true for flamed maple too? Quartersawn leads to ribbon like flame, where slab cut leads to the PRS type tight zebra look (that I dont like)?

Tremendo
08-11-2006, 12:31 AM
Congrats on the 2 Andersons. Great quilts, good looking pair.

I play my Cobra S through an old Mark III, and it sings pretty well. Enjoy them!

dannopelli
08-11-2006, 09:47 AM
Sweet! Have fun with them!

Devnor
08-11-2006, 11:08 AM
Very nice...and I love the boogie chassis. What model is that?

danyeo
08-16-2006, 02:01 PM
Congrats on the 2 Andersons. Great quilts, good looking pair.

I play my Cobra S through an old Mark III, and it sings pretty well. Enjoy them!

Cool, i like MarkIII's. I borrowed a Blue stripe and it sounded very aggressive. The head in the pic is a IIC+. Not a modded one. It's a 60 watt non-simulclass version but i have played it side by side with loaded simul-class versions and they sound very very similiar. If anything the non simul has less high end.

I love the old Boogies but they are just not too versatile for live gigs but i got by when i used this head live, or i used a VHTUL. They both sing through this setup.

And after playing the hollow drop top for a few days now i love it even more. I still can't beleive how good it sounds especially since it's not a solid body.

A friend of mine just picked up a Drop Top so the Anderson fever is spreading. :)

danyeo
08-16-2006, 02:07 PM

Hey Tom, if you have a second. Do you find much difference in the Cobra guitars between the hardtails and the vintage tremolos? Another well known guitar maker told me in an email that he said a vintage tremolo strat style guitar with humbuckers would have more sustain than a hardtail version.

Of course the topic could debated forever but a few hardtail Drop Tops i have seen just so happen to have some of the best tones i have heard from a strat style guitar.

tom
08-16-2006, 03:05 PM
to me the trem has a more brilliant bottom end, the hardtail a little thuddier, maybe woodier is a better word. the trem goes boing and the hard tail goes chunk. i won't get into a sustain argument, i feel it's more of a tonal and attack difference.