PDA

View Full Version : Anderson Fretboard Protector?

robberns
07-31-2006, 04:31 PM
Does TAG sell these as a separate item?
I just bought a Cobra that does not have one.
Thanks

Stys
07-31-2006, 07:04 PM
I have an extra if you would like it. Send me an e-mail with your address.

stys207@wowway.com
mes15@dcx.com

guitarzan
07-31-2006, 07:23 PM
I'd still like an answer on this...

Son of Anderson
08-01-2006, 12:03 AM
Tom will be out of the Shop until next monday. I dont know the answer, but i am sure Bruce or Roy (maybe) will pop in at some point.

Dad closes the shop every first week of August.

guitarzan
08-01-2006, 12:29 AM
cool cool. thx for the heads up.

bruce
08-01-2006, 12:48 AM
Yes, they are for sale... Sorry, but I'm not positive on prices... but from memory they are in the $7 - $10 range...(pretty soon Becky will know this).

We make 2 sizes... short scale and long scale.

The shop will be open again on Aug. 8th.

googoobaby
09-05-2006, 09:25 PM
I found my fretboard protector in a drawer and decided to start using it. Which way does it go? Wider end down at pickup end of fretboard with velcro down? Is the velcro supposed to rest on the top of the neck pickup or should I slide the protector back to touch the nut?

Thanks in advance for indulging my ignorance,
Jeff

robberns
09-05-2006, 09:43 PM
My understanding is:
velcro end by the pickups, facing up.
Slide the protector up against the nut and the velcro should wedge itself between the strings and the fingerboard.

Barry
09-05-2006, 09:47 PM
My understanding is:
velcro end by the pickups, facing up.
Slide the protector up against the nut and the velcro should wedge itself between the strings and the fingerboard.
Thats right. Velcro up

Barry
09-05-2006, 10:36 PM
Theres one on ebay for sale if anyones interested .

G-Man
09-06-2006, 05:00 PM
Would it be possible to get one shipped to the UK? Mine also did not come with one. Also, where would you order? I dont see an online store at the Anderson website. Cheers.

Barry
09-06-2006, 05:15 PM
Would it be possible to get one shipped to the UK? Mine also did not come with one. Also, where would you order? I dont see an online store at the Anderson website. Cheers.
They dont have an online store . You have to call but I dont think they take credit cards . You might want to bid on the one on ebay .

G-Man
09-06-2006, 05:19 PM
OK thanks for the info.

Barry
09-06-2006, 05:28 PM
OK thanks for the info.
I was thinking . Did you buy your Anderson froma dealer ? I would think the guitar is supposed to come with one . Call Anderson and ask them . For the money it seems to me you are entitled to a fret protector . I would request it . I got my Cobra recently and it came with one .

pipedwho
09-07-2006, 01:48 PM
Pardon my ignorance, but was does a fretboard protector do? Why is it better than just putting the guitar back into its case?

pluto
09-07-2006, 01:56 PM
Pardon my ignorance, but was does a fretboard protector do? Why is it better than just putting the guitar back into its case?

My understanding (which is often proven wrong) is that the fret protector is very useful with SS frets which can get nicked during shipping.

pipedwho
09-07-2006, 02:02 PM
My understanding (which is often proven wrong) is that the fret protector is very useful with SS frets which can get nicked during shipping.

But how could that happen if the guitar is in its case, especially since SS is so much tougher than nickel?

pluto
09-07-2006, 02:16 PM
But how could that happen if the guitar is in its case, especially since SS is so much tougher than nickel?

Good question-here's a link though on the Suhr forum that explains that SS frets can get nicked easily:
http://www.online-discussion.com/Suhr/viewtopic.php?t=948&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

tom
09-07-2006, 02:18 PM
stainless is not harder than your plain strings. they are piano wire, and if they get smacked against the fret, they will leave a dent. granted not as deep, but a dent is a dent.

GaryMcT
09-07-2006, 02:50 PM
I have proven without a doubt that stainless frets can get dented if you try really hard. :)

dkaplowitz
09-07-2006, 05:53 PM
I like having the fret protectors around. I didn't know it wasn't that difficult to dent SS frets that's good to know. My old 09-06-90 came with a white fret protector. You guys were using them long before the SS frets came along. The only other builder I know who uses them is John Suhr. I recently traded a Suhr to a guy who's into boutique guitars and he asked me what the heck a fret protector was. ;)

pluto
09-07-2006, 06:17 PM
I like having the fret protectors around. I didn't know it wasn't that difficult to dent SS frets that's good to know. My old 09-06-90 came with a white fret protector. You guys were using them long before the SS frets came along. The only other builder I know who uses them is John Suhr. I recently traded a Suhr to a guy who's into boutique guitars and he asked me what the heck a fret protector was. ;)

The first time I ever saw one on an Anderson, I thought, "wow, a fretless anderson, cool." :D

tom
09-07-2006, 07:00 PM
the early ones we made were matte finsih clear. we switched to black a few years later. the clear ones were a little thinner, and didn't stay put as well as the black ones. the original idea came from valley arts guitars before they were taken over by gibson. theirs had their name printed on it and was pretty fancy looking. we went for fuction alone.

picnic
09-08-2006, 12:43 PM
When the UPS truck pulled in my driveway with my first TA last March, I couldn't wait to open the case and start playing it. I didn't know about fret protectors and when I didn't see any frets, I thought I was sent the wrong guitar... Yeah, sounds stupid, but the first glimpse of the guitar with no frets left me in a WTF state for a few seconds.

It's all better now.

tom
09-08-2006, 03:28 PM
you're not the first i've heard that from :D

picnic
09-08-2006, 05:38 PM
That's comforting 8^)

dave
09-08-2006, 07:42 PM
glad I read all this before I make a tit of myself when I pick up my new Anderson from the dealer!

michaelomiya
09-09-2006, 03:11 AM
The first time I ever saw one on an Anderson, I thought, "wow, a fretless anderson, cool." :D

ok, I admit it, me too.

G-Man
09-09-2006, 03:59 AM
When the UPS truck pulled in my driveway with my first TA last March, I couldn't wait to open the case and start playing it. I didn't know about fret protectors and when I didn't see any frets, I thought I was sent the wrong guitar... Yeah, sounds stupid, but the first glimpse of the guitar with no frets left me in a WTF state for a few seconds.

It's all better now.

Well at least I was spared this indignity :D

Jack Gretz
09-10-2006, 09:03 AM
I have many customers who pickup and call in to the store statiing,

I think I have the wrong guitar as this one does not have any frets--

after a moment of calming- they usually say "what a great idea".

Barry
09-10-2006, 11:29 AM
I have many customers who pickup and call in to the store statiing,

I think I have the wrong guitar as this one does not have any frets--

after a moment of calming- they usually say "what a great idea".

Jack,

I love the quote about pride . Doing what needs to be done and not hanging around to collect the glory . Speaks volumes .

pluto
09-11-2006, 01:05 PM
ok, I admit it, me too.

I was only joking.

michaelomiya
09-13-2006, 10:13 AM
I was only joking.

no matter, I know how "observant" you are....at least with your $$$.