PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on In-Ears... please!

crash
07-30-2006, 10:06 PM
OK, so I recently sold a guitar and by some miracle of self-control have NOT spent the money yet. I am thinking about investing in a good set of in-ears, since that's the setup in most of the gigs I get.

Have pretty much decided to go the custom-molded route, but could use some input from players.

All the sound guys I work with for bigger gigs love the Ultimate Ears UE10s. I regularly gig with a set of Shure E3s, and I know you can get molds made for the E3s and E5s, and such.

Is the UE/1-piece molded setup that much better than the Shure Ex/detachable mold deal? The UE price point is a bit higher.

Any opinions greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott

Casper
07-31-2006, 05:42 AM
I have used the Shure E5's (upgrade from the E2-3)for about 6 years now and just use the Shure standard medium earpiece that you can buy for dirtcheap. Our most everyone else in our band uses the Westone Custom molded earpiece. I went to the ear doctor years ago and got the mold made for my ear, but The Shure mold kept popping out with all the sweat and stuff. Since I only use one earpiece, I don't see the justification of spending 700 bucks. But the guys
who use the special ones LOVE them. I understand they have 3drivers...
Just my two $.
Shaun

getgo
07-31-2006, 08:23 AM
I'm using the E5's with custom earmolds ($50.00) I bought my E5's used for $250.00 so I have $300.00 total. I love them! I can wear them forever and forget that they are in, they are that comfortable. We rehearse with them too and run each guys ears (4 of us) with the aux outs on the board so we all have our own custom mix. Shure is supposedly coming out with a three way in ear soon or already.

brian b
07-31-2006, 10:04 AM
I use the UE superfi Pro5's same specs as the Shure E5 but cheaper.

Suriel Zayas
07-31-2006, 02:15 PM
i'm currently using on tour ultimate ears (ue-10's, $900) and they are the best i've used, not a crackle. ultimate ears has a few good consumer-type monitors that are as good as shures or maybe with better bass response. i've also used westone, very, very good also, but in the high $800's. however, i have seen cutom molded stuff in the $300 range that works good.

the most important issue here is to protect your hearing, once it goes it never comes back. i keep my ie's at moderately low levels in an effort to save my hearing.

crash
07-31-2006, 02:27 PM
...the most important issue here is to protect your hearing, once it goes it never comes back. i keep my ie's at moderately low levels in an effort to save my hearing.

That's pretty much why I wanted to go the custom molded route - better isolation, which means lower volume - and more comfort. By the time I get E1s or E3s in with isolation to back the overall volume down, my ears hurt after an hour or so.

All of the pro sound guys I have asked have steered me towards the UE10s.

Brian - do you know if the Super.Fi series will work with custom molds?

Scott

brian b
07-31-2006, 02:34 PM
I do not think they will, but for the money they protect real well. If you look at the specs they cut out more noise than noise cancelling headphones. Also just got back from Mexico and got to help run monitor for Jesus Adrian Romero and he used the ue-10 molded they are a great pair but the price is up there.

Added note a friend just bought the pro 5's off Amazon.com for $175

Yngve
07-31-2006, 02:36 PM
I have a set of UE10 Pro with the soft option. I would like to comment that after only half a year of use, they started to crack. My experience is that the material mine are built of doesn't last, and I've been handling them carefully. They sound great though!

jeepster
07-31-2006, 03:20 PM
Might be worth planning a couple days in Chicago to visit Sensaphonics - just outside the downtown area

brian b
07-31-2006, 03:34 PM
BY the way where in Indy are you, Grew up as a kid a few miles from the speedway and also by Fort Benjaman Harris.

getgo
07-31-2006, 05:08 PM
Woah! Just noticed that you are in Fishers Crash. My drummer buddy Travis Brant, bass buddy Cory Carlton, and guitar bud Doug Henthorne live round that area. Incidentally, all three of them played on my last cd project. Those guys can all play! :)

Suriel Zayas
07-31-2006, 07:22 PM
Jesus Adrian Romero

off topic, sorry. great guys. i did much of his earlier studio stuff in the early 90's. let me see if i remember his latest band, mike, danny, fernando? i wonder if my good friend chucky was there.

crash
07-31-2006, 07:30 PM
Woah! Just noticed that you are in Fishers Crash. My drummer buddy Travis Brant, bass buddy Cory Carlton, and guitar bud Doug Henthorne live round that area. Incidentally, all three of them played on my last cd project. Those guys can all play! :)

also off-topic...

I have a gig coming up with a solo songwriter guy and I think Travis is on for drums (if it's the same 'Travis'). I played a similar gig with him last year. Good guy. I know Cory - he plays with a friend of mine's Celtic band called 'Siochain'. That guy is a complete gearhead and a great player and bona fide cool guy to shoot the bull with.

Small world. Where are you now, getgo?

Brian, I'm in Fishers, which is northeast outide the loop and growing like a weed (and about as attractive).

brian b
07-31-2006, 10:26 PM
off topic, sorry. great guys. i did much of his earlier studio stuff in the early 90's. let me see if i remember his latest band, mike, danny, fernando? i wonder if my good friend chucky was there.

I will have to look, it is the same guy's on the unplugged cd/dvd. Also Alex and Abdo his sound guy's were there. Very proffesional are just plain nice guy's.

crash
08-02-2006, 08:34 PM
For the record, the UE10s have the most support from all the folks I have asked. The Shure E5/custom earpiece option is a close second.

Unfortunately, there's no way to A/B them. And with the UE10s ($900) at twice the price point as the E5/custom earpice option, I'll have to give it some thought before pulling the trigger.

I'm sure I'd be happy with either. Thanks to all for the input.

Tremendo
08-02-2006, 10:54 PM
I've got the PSM200 wireless system with the E2's, but I also got the E4's about 6 months ago and they are much better. I am awaiting the soft Sensaphonic custom molds to arrive (did them 2 weeks ago), and they seem really nice. The Westone molds I did for my ER-15 Musician Ear Plugs are too hard a material, and when I open my mouth wide to sing, the seal is slightly broken. Sensaphonics uses a softer silicone that should work better.

BTW - The PSM200 is as cheap as I'd go (since it has the limiters) and it will probably be my limiting factor in sound quality.

jeepster
08-03-2006, 08:25 AM
Unfortunately, there's no way to A/B them.

Actually - you CAN a/b them. And - most of the wireless systems on the market. Hence my recommendation to visit Sensaphonics.....

Also - the loss of seal from opening your mouth can be prevented/ minimized by a proper mold.....Sensaphonics recommends casting the mold with your mouth open.

And - Shure just released the e 500 series triple drivers at about the same price point of the e5. And - the competition is responding with triple drivers of their own.....

Another reason to go directly to the source ;)

http://www.sensaphonics.com/about.html

crash
08-03-2006, 10:21 AM
Actually - you CAN a/b them. And - most of the wireless systems on the market. Hence my recommendation to visit Sensaphonics.....

May just have to do that.

I just caught this product on their website. There's no price point listed yet, so I may have to call when I get a minute. This is great, since a lot of us routinely pull an ear to hear the room (especially during worship gigs...)

http://www.sensaphonics.com/prod_3d_ambient.html

Suriel Zayas
08-03-2006, 02:16 PM
This is great, since a lot of us routinely pull an ear to hear the room

most monitor engineers i work with usually us an ambient mic to make the whole thing less sterile sounding.

guitarzan
08-03-2006, 03:04 PM
most monitor engineers i work with usually us an ambient mic to make the whole thing less sterile sounding.

I just took a steady gig that uses in-ears and I just notcied last weekend that they stick a lipstick condenser at each of the two corners of the stage for just that reason. I haven't been able to stand in-ears when I've had to use them on gigs in the past, but this one has been a lot better and a lot more natural sounding. And I'm just jamming some E2c's in my ear with the largest size soft black inserts. I'm on an absolute gear-buying lockdown so this will have to do for quite a while.

crash
08-03-2006, 06:22 PM

That does help quite a bit.

The Sensaphonics option has the mic in the earpiece, so if you walk closer to your amp... more amp! The way they make it sound, you could actually have a converation with someone.

Suriel Zayas
08-03-2006, 08:52 PM
That does help quite a bit.

The Sensaphonics option has the mic in the earpiece, so if you walk closer to your amp... more amp! The way they make it sound, you could actually have a converation with someone.

90% of the gigs i'm doing, all amps are in the back facing away from the stage or totally off stage in iso-boxes. therefore, the purpose of the mic in the earpiece is mostly defeated. currently on tour we're using the aviom system with individual mixers for the ultimate control, however, under the watchful eye of a monitor engineer. one of the cool things about that system is the recalling of multiple programs. i have my recalls based on song sets and individual songs.

guitarzan
08-03-2006, 08:55 PM
I've used the Aviom. I thought it was way cool. The ability to mix and pan my own ears was a luxury that I rarely get.

crash
08-03-2006, 10:42 PM
Man, I'm glad you mentioned the recall feature with the Aviom system. I have a steady worship gig using them, and love them but occasionally someone else uses that station and the settings get funny. Not that it takes long to give yourself a mix, but I forget I can save my settings. I need to grab the book and look up how to do that.

The pan feature is awesome - until you pull an ear and then can't hear whatever you panned to that side. (oops)

And good point about the ear-mic thing and stage setup. It's not always more help then a good room mic blended in - but I like the idea.

I will call them soon and find out how much the idea costs. The Prophonic 2XS system without that feature is around $750 or so (I think) plus audiologist charges. I'm sure the ambient option puts it up there closer to the UE10s at $900.

brian b
08-04-2006, 09:29 AM
The Aviom is very cool, just remember to save so you can recall. We have 3 different bands at church, with the main band ,youth and young adult useing them. So we each have to save in a diffenret spot. The recall should be channel 13 it will recall to the factiry base line setting if remember correctly. Also the pan is cool in the main service we have 3 electric players so I pan one right, one left. and me in the middle so I can telll who is what.

brian b
08-04-2006, 07:26 PM
Just got this reply back from Sensaphonics

The 3D Active Ambient is $2000 for the single hybrid driver and $2500 for
the dual driver plus the cost of the audiologist to take the ear impressions
and shipping. You would need to find an audiologist in your area to take
the ear impressions and send them to our office in Chicago. The ambient
microphones allow you to decide how much outside sound you want included in
your mix. You will no longer need to use stationary ambient mics. And you
can easily communicate with fellow band members with a flip of a switch on
our beltpack.
Cool sounding but man what a price.

LonestarGtr
08-04-2006, 07:49 PM
Just my 2 cents. I now use the Ultimate Ears UE7's and they're the best sounding molds I've had. I have tried different Shures, Westones and Futuresonics, but these are the best sounding and have the best isolation so I can run them at a moderate level and still hear everything separated. Our drummer plays very loudly and it's nice to have that isolation. And although Shure makes a good transmitter/receiver system (the 600), it is limited in frequencies and I haven't been able to find a 700 system that sounds as good as the 600, but they have better frequency agility. I'm not using a Sennheiser system and it sounds awesome. Now if only I could play...

Mike

jeepster
08-07-2006, 10:48 AM
I have several different sets from different projects...I guess they let you keep 'em at the end cause you stick 'em in your ear.... ;)

The 2XS are the best sounding overall to me....though the UE10 are quite good too.

Lost my iems once - ran to a local GC and grabbed a couple sets of the UE Superfi-pro5 .... Sounded great to me - at 1/5 the price you get 99% of the tone... Might try that first if this is an experiment. At the very least you have a GREAT set of headphones.

I like the Senn 300 wireless systems better than the Shures (if you have to buy a unit) Cleaner sound, fewer dropouts.

I haven't heard the triple drivers yet - or the ambient options. Probably worth checking out. "street" reviews are very positive on 'em.

Try them all if you can.

crash
08-07-2006, 03:34 PM
...The 2XS are the best sounding overall to me....though the UE10 are quite good too....

Try them all if you can.

Any opinions on the softer Sensaphonic material vs. the harder UE material?

Haven't called the Sensaphonic folks yet - how many options can you try at their shop in Chicago?

ryman150
08-11-2006, 02:24 AM
My two cents to throw in as well. I definately been through all the generic buds (E1, 2, 3, and 5). I really can't say much good about them for a live situation. Awesome for an iPod. I then went with the Ultimate Ears UE7s. This is one high end driver and two low drivers (3 total). They sounded great, but I was experiencing discomfort in my ears after the shows. The hard plastic just didn't really work for me. I tried the Sensaphonics 3D system at the NAMM show, and it rocked. I decided to give it a try.

Right now I have both the 2XS and the 3D Active Ambient System (single driver version) from Sensaphonics. Both sound amazing. The 3D sounds better, and I believe it gets a little louder than the 2XS - even with one driver. It has a new driver in it. Different than a standard hearing aid type driver like most of the companies are using. I think this was redesigned to produce frequencies that musicians are going to be hearing.

The Mics that are built in are awesome. I can dial in the amount of bleed through depending on the venue for performance mode. And then inbetween songs, I just flip the switch - the mix volume is decreased, and I hear 100% of the mics. It's almost the same as pulling the ears out.

The thing I like about the Sensaphincs is that they are extremely comfortable, and they sound amazing... If you can't swing the price of the 3D, I would really recommend the 2XS. :cool: