PDA

View Full Version : Amps

jung guitar
07-02-2006, 03:23 PM
I have a mesa boogie and I recommend anyone to try one

dannopelli
07-03-2006, 10:53 AM
Which one? I had three at one point. I hated two of them. Kept one for home practice, an F30. Use Dr Z now.

picnic
07-03-2006, 07:28 PM
Lonestar Classic 2x12, TA Classic and a TA Hollow T Classic.
Lots of great tones, juice and power.

No more GAS here

wreckfan
07-04-2006, 01:41 PM
Had a couple Mesa's also. The first one was an '89 Mark III loaded ev/simul and it was one of the most frustrating pieces of equipment I have ever owned. It was very tempermental and either sounded awesome or terrible depending on what mood it was in !! Got tired of not being able to depend on a consistent good sound and replaced it with a Dual rectifier tremoverb that was pretty nice - heavy but nice. I wish I had kept that one.

Also tried some of the newer Mesa's - liked the little F-30 for a small compact grab and go amp.............

stratoquack
07-04-2006, 07:08 PM
Played a Mark III for about 10 years, now I have a Rectoverb 50 combo that will find a new home once I decide what I want.

FFOGG
07-04-2006, 09:59 PM
I am saving green stamps now

jimmieb
07-05-2006, 01:12 AM
I've owned lots of Boogies as well. Mark I (Nice amp, one trick pony), Mark IV (great clean, constipated Lead), Dual Recto (Great bottom for grundge metal stuff), Tremoverb Combo (did a lot, very heavy), Triaxis w/ 2:90 (great rig lots of tones no dynamics), a Lone Star, and a Lone Star Special. These last two I love; very dynamic, expressive, Lone Star Classic has some great vintage Marshall tones. I mostly use the clean channel and use pedas for drive tones. The LS Special is definately thinner. I was almost afraid it was too thin, but it is proving to be perfect for more BF Fender tones.
I need to get a Rambler, but I'm afraid I may of wasted my time and money on Boogies after playing one. I want to try the new Bogner Duendo (how ever its spelled).
Has anyone used a Road King to gig with? I really wonder if it all those different choices of power tubes, Rectifier, etc. really sound very different, you know, gets a diverse tone pallet?

Jimmie B

billyguitar
07-05-2006, 08:16 AM
Zs for me! Currently; Stang Ray head and 2 x 10 cab, Maz 38 sr reverb 1 x 12 combo with an alnico tone tubby and a Carmen Ghia head. I like my sound to run from clean to on the edge. These amps are perfect for that. My vintage black face and tweed Fenders just stand around and watch!

dannopelli
07-08-2006, 12:47 AM
Zs for me! Currently; Stang Ray head and 2 x 10 cab, Maz 38 sr reverb 1 x 12 combo with an alnico tone tubby and a Carmen Ghia head. I like my sound to run from clean to on the edge. These amps are perfect for that. My vintage black face and tweed Fenders just stand around and watch!

I have been playing Z's Maz 18 and 38 for a year, and a recently acquired a 2x12 Stingray. I use this in conjunction with a pedal board housing, among other things, an FD 2, BB, Mosferatu, Keely Rat, and RC boost.

So two nights ago I did a session and used a house amp. Boogie Single Rectifier with a Marshall 4x12.

Man, I had the hardest time getting used to that! Boogie makes a great amp and lots of guys swear by them. Just not my cup of tea. I can tell you it certainly did not like my pedals too much!