PDA

View Full Version : travelling with your Anderson

mwoeppel
01-25-2004, 03:05 PM
Hey - I just found this forum the other day and decided to jump in!

By way of introduction, I have 3 TA's, a Hollow T, a Hollow T Classic, and a Classic. My hollow T classic is my #1. I've only been playing for about 4 years - so I have lots to learn - but I do know TONE!

Here's my question:

I travel a lot with my guitar - but I'm afraid to bring my TA because I worry about damage. So a bring the traditional brand - you know, the one that if it gets broken or stolen is not irreplaceable.

I usually check my guitar as baggage using a Gator molded case. It's holding up ok, but I would like to have something that is not too heavy and is designed better. I'm always find stuff strewn around the case when i arrive.

(deep breath) So - do you have any recommendations?

thanks

mark

pappy
01-25-2004, 07:50 PM
Yeah. Me too. I'm leaving for a two month business trip in Munich this Wednesday and was thinking about bringing my HDTC. I don't know. It may not be worth the risk even though I bough extra insurance on my home policy to cover it if gets damaged.

I looked into good cases once and decided it wasn't worth the $$$ (like over five hundred dollars).

Pappy

JGraham
01-25-2004, 08:36 PM
Check out www.rockhardcases.com

Mark built an amp case for me a few years ago, very solid. It was custom built, and he couldn't have been more professional or accomodating. Top notch from the first phone call.

On my recommendation, a friend at work had Mark build a case for his PRS guitar, and he took it around Russia and Siberia for 6 weeks. It was even lost between London and Moscow for 2 days. No damage whatsoever.

I personally wouldn't go to anyone else.

ToneLounge
01-30-2004, 10:34 AM
I travel quite a bit (3-4 times a month) as a sideman. I always take my anderson, and it's always in a Levy's gig bag. Carry on and stowed in the overhead, unless the flight attendant likes me and then I get the closet in first class!

Brian

pappy
01-30-2004, 06:02 PM
Well, I just got to Munich and am glad to report my HDTC made it just fine in the original hard case - it was even in tune just like when I picked it up at the dealer. :D

I put it in the case. Put the case in the cardboard box it came in and checked it as baggage. No hassles or extra charges. I was pretty nervous there but it turned out OK...

...of course, I added a rider to my homeowners policy to cover it for 'all perils' just in case. Afterall, there's still the trip home to worry about.:cool:

Pappy

mwoeppel
02-04-2004, 11:09 PM
thanks guys

I appreciate the help!

mark

ddemusic
03-04-2004, 08:54 PM
I travel on airlines year round with my Andy. Get one of those new Gator ATA model cases. They're strong and half the weight of a traditional Anvil. Sweetwater currently has them on sale for $99 w/ free shipping. I just bought 2 this week.
Also, if you are a member of the AFM union you can get musical equipment insurance for full replacement costs. So far so good - never been stolen or broken but its a nice thing knowing that you could get a replacement should anything happen.
Cheers,
d2

mwoeppel
03-04-2004, 09:18 PM
Thanks for your tip, ddemusic

I'm using a Gator ATA case now. I've had it a little over a year, and it's pretty beat up. The frame doesn't hold up very well, but it does a GREAT job of protecting the guitar.

I called rock hard cases and they'll make me one, but it weighs 35 lbs. Not my idea of fun, lugging it through heathrow.

So I called Gator and they're sending me a replacement! Cool, huh?

Anyway, when it comes down to buying one and lugging around 35 lbs or buying replacements that wiegh less than have that, I have to go back to the gator. Just wish they held up better. Eh! for 99 bucks I can't complain too much!

Mark

My new baby

mwoeppel
03-04-2004, 09:19 PM
Thanks for your tip, ddemusic

I'm using a Gator ATA case now. I've had it a little over a year, and it's pretty beat up. The frame doesn't hold up very well, but it does a GREAT job of protecting the guitar.

I called rock hard cases and they'll make me one, but it weighs 35 lbs. Not my idea of fun, lugging it through heathrow.

So I called Gator and they're sending me a replacement! Cool, huh?

Anyway, when it comes down to buying one and lugging around 35 lbs or buying replacements that wiegh less than have that, I have to go back to the gator. Just wish they held up better. Eh! for 99 bucks I can't complain too much!

My new baby

Markwww.mfgexcellence.com/mark/cobra2.jpg (http://www.mfgexcellence.com/mark/cobra2.jpg)