PDA

View Full Version : Dr Z

stratoquack
06-27-2006, 09:04 PM
I've been a faithful Mesa Boogie player for years and I'd like something a little different. I'm especially interested in the Dr. Z Maz 18 or 38. The dealer in Atlanta cannot keep them in stock and it appears that Z's production has slowed due to a death in the company. So I haven't even played one of these things yet. I'd just like anyone's opinion of this amp. I know there's a Z forum, but I know the answers that I'd get there would only be praise. So if anybody owns or has owned one, I'd love to hear about it.
Bill

dannopelli
06-27-2006, 10:18 PM
I own a Maz 18, a Maz 38, and a Stingray. Also a Mesa F 30. I used to have a Mesa Nomad, and a Mark II at one time. I also of course, have a Twin.

My live rig is a Maz 18 and MAz 38. Sometimes the Stingray.

Ok, so the Maz 18 and 38 are clean sounding. They can get a bit hairy, as they do have a Master volume. But you will not get a violin type solo sound unless you use a humbucker guitar and push the crap out of the amp. Even then you won't get the lead sound a Boogie gets.

The Maz is NOT channel switching, nor footswitchable for the reverb. It is just a straight up clean amp. Obviously, since the 18 is lower power it sounds warmer at lower volumes.

That said, the DR Z line in general all take pedals better than any thing I've played, save maybe the Carr line. They are big and full sounding, with killer dynamics. Put a BB or a Mosferatu in front and you get IMHO to my ears a FAR BETTER violin lead sound than a Mesa. The reverb is far better than any of Mesa's save the Lonestar.

And interestingly they are not as fast sounding as most class A amps. Very very warm. And the price point is better than a Matchless or Bad Cat.

Other than a really good Twin IMHO the Dr Z's and the Maz in particular is the best clean sounding amp. They take pedals REALLY well too.

Hope this helps!

You might want to send WBB a PM. He has run through a bunch of amps and most of the Z line. He is a good resource for an honest assessment.

Also, I think you will find the folks at the Z forum to be quite honest. Give it a try.

FFOGG
06-28-2006, 06:06 AM
How does the Mini Z compare with the Z's you own ...other than volume

googoobaby
06-28-2006, 10:45 AM
I played a Maz 38 last week and was very impressed with its tone as well as construction. My only "complaint" was that it was way too loud, even cranked down. It may even be too much for a small room performance.

olectric
06-28-2006, 01:43 PM
I used to own a Maz 18 with 2 10's. It was cool, but it sounded small to me. It was plenty loud, but it just came across in the mix as little. Maybe a 112 or a 212 would fix that problem.

ryman150
06-28-2006, 04:47 PM
I've owned a Maz 18 2x10. It was a little bright, but it still sounded good. Not too ballsy though. I found the Maz 38 head and closed back 2x12 cab. I fell it love with this thing. Definately one of the best sounding amps I've heard. I love it.

They do take pedals very well. It's very full and warm. Give one a try. That's the only way you'll know if it's for you. Buy a used one eBay or on the gear page. You can always sell it if you don't like it. :)

Janine Doubly
06-28-2006, 10:56 PM
Z's amps are phenomenal! I have had MAz 18's in the past and currently own a Prescription ES. Great clean amp and when using pedals, its the best "channel switching" amp out there. The Z forum is a good place for Z info. Yes, there is a lot of praise, but its realistic and lots of good info to help find the Z amp for you.

lpuncle
06-30-2006, 05:47 PM
I own a MAZ 18 1x12 and several Mesa's. The MAZ is very good at low volumes and has a great sounding bass. It is a very warm sounding amp and built to last for a long time. Yes the DR.Z forum will give it a lot of praise but it is not a fabrication.

dannopelli
07-03-2006, 10:54 AM
I played a Maz 38 last week and was very impressed with its tone as well as construction. My only "complaint" was that it was way too loud, even cranked down. It may even be too much for a small room performance.

Try input 2.