PDA

View Full Version : A-wedgie screws

funalij
06-19-2006, 02:37 PM
Tom or Roy

Just curious, why the a-wedgie has 2 only screws?
Maybe, It could have been 3 screws? (more stable even).

Do you tested anothers configurations for a-wedgie?
What kind of technical study it was made? (I suppose it won't be a top secret to tell us) ;)

Thanks in advance

Javier

tom
06-19-2006, 03:05 PM
the screws do not control the neck movement, so one would have been enough. the wedge shape of the 2 pieces is what keeps it from moving. if the 2 parts fit correctly, finger pressure is enough to keep them from moving sideways. the screws just put pressure on the joint. if the neck did not have the adjustment rod in the middle, there would have only been one screw in the center.
who would we have do a study? we try different versions of things and do what works best for us physicly and sonicly. (where's spell check when you need it?)

Roy (maybe)
06-20-2006, 09:54 AM
Hi Javier,

Good question.

Oh, you do not have to count screws with the A-Wedgie. Even a traditional 6-bolt neck joint (4 where they have added two more) can still move out of place because it is two flat surfaces and only screws try to keep things from shifting sideways—almost an impossible task.

With the A-Wedgie on the other hand, the neck is locked in by the joint itself and cannot move.

Let me say that again: Cannot move! What a good feeling.

The two bolts of the A-Wedgie are more than enough to do the job perfectly—no shifting sideways and no inclination to even try to do so. So instead of just screws holding the neck in place, like the old-style joint, A-Wedgie has the joint surface itself and screws to do the job. The entire surface does the holding. So good!

Happy Playing

PaulS
06-20-2006, 10:23 AM
It all makes sense but out of curiousity, how about front to back movement - how is that dealt with with 2 bolts only?

Thanks.

tom
06-20-2006, 11:24 AM
it's a tapered wedge. at the butt end it hits, and is tapered towards the peghead end, so it can't go that direction.

dannopelli
06-20-2006, 06:14 PM
Would the string tension also keep it from moving forward?

tom
06-20-2006, 07:14 PM
the string tension would pull it towards the bridge where it runs into the body end of the wedge.

andersonguy
06-21-2006, 09:54 AM
Well, would it move if it were in a hurricane during an earthquake while a volcano was erupting? :D
LOL

Killer design!

tom
06-21-2006, 10:37 AM
i don't think so, but it might swell up or burn.

andersonguy
06-22-2006, 09:30 AM
AHHH HA! SEE! :p

Roy (maybe)
06-22-2006, 09:41 AM
I heard that the Samsonite gorilla—the one who tests the durability of their suitcases—plays a new Anderson with the A-Wedgie and even he cannot get it to move. We are all safe and sound—with better sound than ever.

BrianH
06-22-2006, 05:27 PM
I'm currently playing the role of the Samsonite gorilla - and have done extensive R&D on the A-Wedgie.
If I can't make it move, no one can.