PDA

View Full Version : Amp Covers

marsodude
05-24-2006, 10:02 PM
I just bought a Tweed NOS Blues Junior with a Jensen in it. Great tone! I have touched base with several amp cover manufacturers. Tuki seems pretty cool. Any recommendations on what you use?

Woodash
05-25-2006, 02:15 PM
Tuki is good. Also check out Studio slips in No. CA somewhere. Don't have the info in front of me, but I had them make a coupled of things for me a while back with good success.

m_lance
05-25-2006, 02:23 PM
I use a padded Tuki for my Rivera Quiana. Love it. I have custom handles on the sides of the amp and they made the cover with cut outs for the handles for only $10 extra. Great product. Keeps the dust off & prevents minor dings. The padding is definetly worth the money and is really not much thicker than a slip cover (I thought it would be bulky ... it's not).

BUT, it's not road worthy. I never travel with my gear. If you do, I'd advise something more sturdy.

billyguitar
05-25-2006, 03:33 PM
I'm assuming you aren't touring because that wouldn't really be a touring guitarist's amp. If you were touring you'd want and Anvil or equivalent.
Fender has some cheap slip covers don't they? They would be okay for the occasional trip to rehearsal or perhaps a jam. If you're actually gigging this amp then you would want a padded cover with a bottom flap so you don't scratch the bottom. I've had three kinds, Tuki, J & L from Salina, KS and now a set of Studio Slip clamshells for my Dr Z Stang Ray which is still on order. The Tuki and the J & L are very nice and very similar. The Studio Slips have a softer padding that will make them easier to fold up at the gig. They use a nylon zipper closure that may be a little rough on your tweed. If you email them they will tell you what their experience has been with tweed. For your amp I'd say go with a full padded cover, whoever's is cheapest. They're all good. I think the Studio Slips are probably the most expensive but are my favorite.

sean
05-25-2006, 03:38 PM
+1 for Studio Slips.Susan has made padded covers for both of my Two-Rock amps and they fit like a glove.They are not the cheapest but are worth the $ IMO.

marsodude
05-25-2006, 06:23 PM
WOW@ Great info! I get out with my rig twice a week. Once for practice and then on Sunday.

Do the Tuki covers have a zippered enclosure?

I am kinda thinking clamshell from Studio Slips with extra padding, maybe in the Blonde Leather.

Thanks!

dannopelli
05-29-2006, 09:08 AM
WOW@ Great info! I get out with my rig twice a week. Once for practice and then on Sunday.

Do the Tuki covers have a zippered enclosure?

I am kinda thinking clamshell from Studio Slips with extra padding, maybe in the Blonde Leather.

Thanks!

I have to tell you that TUKI is not nearly as good a Studio Slips, and for virtually the same price. Over time the filler in the TUKI will deteriorate. The SS will not. I have had both and threw the TUKI out.

Check out http://www.studioslips.com/

marsodude
05-29-2006, 08:08 PM
Awesome. I just ordered one in the Blonde Leather from Susan. That's exactly what I was looking for!

Thanks

billyguitar
05-30-2006, 03:24 PM
You didn't get a matching jacket? That would be too cool! She doesn't do jackets but her logo is so cool I'd wear one.

marsodude
05-31-2006, 04:45 AM
Yeah, got an amp cover coming! She is about out of the blonde leather. She will have to put a seam at the back top to make it work, but that's ok. From the sounds of it I am glad that dannopelli posted what he did. I would certainly hate to spend this much on a matching cover to find that over time the filler would break up and get all up in the tweed. This little Blues Junior amp is awesome! I am probably gonna spring for some billm mods down the road.

Thanks!

dannopelli
06-04-2006, 09:52 PM
Yeah, got an amp cover coming! She is about out of the blonde leather. She will have to put a seam at the back top to make it work, but that's ok. From the sounds of it I am glad that dannopelli posted what he did. I would certainly hate to spend this much on a matching cover to find that over time the filler would break up and get all up in the tweed. This little Blues Junior amp is awesome! I am probably gonna spring for some billm mods down the road.

Thanks!
You are going to love her stuff. I just ordered two more also!