PDA

View Full Version : Difference between Cobra S and Holow Drop Top?

LarryL
05-15-2006, 02:05 PM
I own a Hollow Cobra S with H1- and H2+

I have an opportunity to purchase a Hollow Drop Top with those same pickups an SA1 in the middle and the single splitter switch and a push-pull tone.

I know the scales are different. I am interested in light action and easy bends - along with great sound.

I love the sound of my Cobra S. WIll I get similar capability - sounds and feel from the HDT? What are the sound and playability differences?

Which has the most versatility in sounds?

Thanks,
Larry

dannopelli
05-15-2006, 09:12 PM
Well I have a handful of those types of guitars, although different PUP config. Actually, an HDTC, DTC, Classic, HCS, and two HTC's. All are strung with 10's. All but one of my Andy's have 1 5/8 nut width. And there are various carves, Standard, .30, .50 and 62 RB. So I have a pretty good sense for the way the necks feel. And all but one have medium frets, which I prefer.

The Andy necks have a pretty flat radius, so from a playability/string bending perspective the HDT will be easy, the Cobra really easy. I know some of the guys here might chime in and say the HCS might be too easy, and a few string up to 11's or more.

Based upon my experience with Andy's vs the Fender CS guitars I have, the Andy's are far easier to play. They do not just give in, you do have to land this fish, which is probablya BIG part of the appeal. But you don't struggle like you would a 50's Strat. And they are still easier than a 60's. But far more playable than say a CS Custom Classic, and the quality is undeniably better.

As far as the PUPS, I have no idea. The scale length fret type, fingerboard wood, and body wood combinations will have a HUGE impact on tone, and you did not detail what kinds of woods were in the Drop Top. But I can tell you without pause that you will love the combination of a Cobra and Drop Top.

Jack Gretz
05-17-2006, 03:03 PM
Larry, I e-mailed you directly for your answers