PDA

View Full Version : dead strings

GaryMcT
05-07-2006, 07:28 PM
I really wish the strings would change color when they are expired. There have been so many times that I start getting bummed with my tone where a few days later, I once again realize that I just need to change my strings! The Elixir strings seem to go dead tonally before losing their feel or intonation, so sometimes it isn't obvious that this is a problem.

How do you know when it's time?

ckofahl
05-07-2006, 09:40 PM
When I was touring, I change my all my guitars on the first of the month. I'm not touring anymore, but I still do a fair bit of studio work. My main guitar still gets changed on the first of the month. In my area of the country, the humidity is real low most of the time. Great for strings, bad for wood.

bruce
05-08-2006, 12:02 AM
You know if they're dead if they sound dead. Everyone abuses strings differently. It has to do with the chemical make up of your finger-grease and how often you play. Some can get months out of a set of strings where others can only get a day or so.

HiG
05-08-2006, 12:02 AM
I know it sounds funny (no pun intended), but when I pick up one of my guitars, play it for a few minutes then reach for a different one because it sounds unexciting, I know it's time to restring. My Droptop has a gorgeous bell-like tone to it, but I hadn't been playing it because it felt a little deader than the Hollow T. I reminded myself that those strings were well over six months old, with considerable playing time. Restrung the Droptop and now all is well again. Over the years I've bought and sold a lot of guitars, the result being that there are no slackers in the six electrics I have left. If one doesn't inspire when I pick it up, it's time for new wires.

GaryMcT
05-08-2006, 12:15 AM
It used to be more obvious when they were dead. I used to have to change strings twice a week before I started using Elixirs. :)

billyguitar
05-10-2006, 12:57 PM
The Elixirs are nice for the wound strings, except I can't get the guages I want, but the plain strings still wear the same.

Yngve
05-10-2006, 01:24 PM
I use the new anti-rust Elixir, and I think the plain strings now last longer than the wound strings... I really like the anti-rust Elixir.

tom
05-10-2006, 02:52 PM
billy, just strings.com does sell individual elixirs. haven't checked depth of sizes or price, but it might be worth a look.

GaryMcT
05-10-2006, 05:57 PM
I use the new anti-rust Elixir, and I think the plain strings now last longer than the wound strings... I really like the anti-rust Elixir.

They definitely last longer now.

billyguitar
05-11-2006, 10:08 AM
Tom,
I didn't know about single Elixirs, appreciate the tip! The plains don't matter to me much. I still can't leave them on for more than two gigs or I'm at risk to break the high E (.011). I've got the Fixed Power Bridge on my guitar because I liked the rounded SS piece that the string sits on. I thought that would help the string last longer. I also lube the string at the contact point but they'll still break. I've found that they'll start to kink at the frets if I leave the plains on longer than that anyway. I don't really pick that hard but I do use heavy picks. I can't go back to medium picks they just don't feel right.