PDA

View Full Version : Schecter/Suhr > assuming this is made from Anderson parts, how old is it?

Sir Ricardo
05-03-2006, 10:30 AM
I saw this on ebay......the seller says it is a 90s era guitar.

Does that sound right?

It DOES look like it's made from Anderson parts.......

cheers -

Richard
======================================
http://cgi.ebay.com/Schecter-Tom-Anderson-California-Custom-Stratocaster_W0QQitemZ7411969651QQcategoryZ121166Q QssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

tom
05-03-2006, 11:25 AM
it has our pickups, that's all. probably a japanese neck. but it does play better than our guitars :p

Son of Anderson
05-03-2006, 12:31 PM
sounds like he should be selling his other guitar.

bruce
05-03-2006, 01:17 PM
... Sent him an email.. ;) ;)

tom
05-03-2006, 03:03 PM
suhr emailed to express his thoughts about it. he didn't build it either. people say funny stuff when they're trying to sell things.

killerburst
05-03-2006, 05:14 PM
That's a Schecter S Series. It is a nice guitar. It was made in Los Angeles. I visited the shop in 2000 and can vouch that the guitars were cut, painted and assembled under one roof in the USA. Unfortunately, the seller is asking list price for a guitar that is current production. Any Schecter dealer could sell you a brand new one for probably $1300.

Do not confuse USA Schecter guitars made from '96 on with the Diamond Series. Once they started selling thousands of Korean guitars, they stopped promoting their USA facility. But they still do make a small number of USA guitars every year. Ironically, most of them are shipped overseas.

tom
05-03-2006, 06:10 PM
where is the usa facility, and is pat still painting their stuff?

killerburst
05-03-2006, 10:22 PM
Hollywood, if I recall correctly. It's been a while and my SoCal geography leaves something to be desired. I was in town for a trade show in Anaheim (InfoComm A/V Contractor show) and a colleague and I went to their building for the afternoon and then out to dinner. They had a small shop with some some saws, routers and sanders and such and a small paint booth that looked big enough to paint one guitar at a time. They may sub out some stuff to Pat, but they definitely do some stuff in house.

BoraBora
05-04-2006, 09:22 PM
This seller has some nerve. :mad: Did you read his comments about Anderson in the Q&A section?

While I think it's nice that he retracted some of his initial claims regarding Anderson & Suhr from the product description, his comments in the Q&A section were completely unnecessary.

Sorry, I just had to rant for a second. It's all good now. :)

Sir Ricardo
05-04-2006, 09:35 PM
....he is probably frustrated that his $1,799 price is looking less and less promising with each passing day, and with each email he receives.

If he drops the "1" in the price he'll be about market.

:p

cheers - Richard
=============================================

joev
05-05-2006, 01:53 PM
I have one that was made in 1996 and is alder with a maple neck {birdseye) with the monstertones and push/pull tone switch. I traded an American Tele for this guitar and haven't looked back. I have not played a nicer guitar and I have played a few in my fiftytwo years. My hat is off to whoever made this guitar as it is a very fine instrument. :)

mtucker
05-05-2006, 07:35 PM
I have one that was made in 1996 and is alder with a maple neck {birdseye) with the monstertones and push/pull tone switch. I traded an American Tele for this guitar and haven't looked back. I have not played a nicer guitar and I have played a few in my fiftytwo years. My hat is off to whoever made this guitar as it is a very fine instrument. :)

*bashes head against the wall* '...you WILL buy my guitar!'

joev
05-05-2006, 09:49 PM
Already got one!! :D

Janine Doubly
05-06-2006, 12:26 AM
In all fairness, it sounds like its probably an allright guitar, just WAY over priced. It sounds like his 80's and 90's small luthier history is a bit off to say the least. But to say that Tom and his gang our ignorant and arrogant, is downright slanderous, even if somebody at the shop is trying to set the record straight, in somewhat forceful terms...

Duotones
05-06-2006, 07:45 AM
California custom series guitars from schecter had been made from 1996 to 1999 at the schecter custom shop at California. Schecter custom shop was built by Bill Riketts at 1989 and they built about 300 guitars per year.

Above guitar was not made by Anderson parts but was made by luthiers at the custom shop. Guitars made at the schecter custom shop were really fine. Especially california custom series made from 1996 to 1999 were well-made and popular in Asian countries including Japan and South Korea. Nowadays, after diamond series became popular, they rarely makes custom guitars and it is very hard to contact them.

The S-series guitars were the cheapest of their line-up and it was cheaper than Anderson classic from my memory. I don't think it is worth 1800$.

tom
05-06-2006, 02:34 PM
my concern was never about the quality, i have never played it. what i object to is missrepresenting my involvement. has this guy ever spoken to me?

John C
05-07-2006, 09:20 AM
The S-series guitars were the cheapest of their line-up and it was cheaper than Anderson classic from my memory. I don't think it is worth 1800$.

That guitar is definitely an S-series; I don't remember any other USA Schecters as having the satin finish. Before the Diamond Series the S-Series was their "entry-level" guitar, priced just a bit higher than upper-end Fender production guitars like the American Deluxe Strats, American Vintage reissues, and Artist Signatures. I agree that the ebay Schecter is way overpriced, and that BIN is likely right about the current list price on an S-Series.

For a little background, back in 1995, Guitar Player included an S-Series Scheter in a roundup of guitars in the February 1995 issue; they liked the S-Series and even included it although it listed for $1,295 without case and their "cut-off" for the shootout was supposed to be $1,200 list (without case). GP priced a '52RI Tele at $1,165 without case and a Strat Plus Deluxe at $1,150 without case in that shootout.

In comparison, GP then tested some "high-end" solidbodies in the April 1995 issue, including a swamp ash Anderson Classic (with gold hardware) that listed for $2,300 at the time.

crash
05-10-2006, 11:31 AM
Based on that guy's understanding of history, and the strange conclusions he draws from what little he tries to document, I'd say what we have here is Dan Brown trying to sell a guitar on Ebay.