PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from the Philly Area

grandamlam
01-21-2004, 01:51 PM
Hi,

I was doing some research on various things after a 5-6 year hiatus from music and stumbled onto this forum. Great idea. I like the forum. Thanks for hosting it.

About the only thing I have left from my days in music is a TA Grand Am Lam that I bought in (I believe it was) ~1989 at "Studio Sound" ---a shop that used to be on Sunset strip in Hollywood (almost directly across from Gtr. Ctr.) I paid something like $1500. for it, brand new. (Have times changed or what? ;) )

It's been a great axe, and has withstood lots of touring abuse from LA to all over Europe. I've had the neck replaced (smashed the original neck --birdseye maple-- into a giant bass cabinet during a studio freak-out in Amsterdam). It still plays beautifully. The one thing I'm not crazy about is the Kahler tremelo that it has. It's one of those with the locking mechanism in the back of the body (I forget what it's called and I'm at work away from the guitar). When I got the neck replaced by Bruce Campbell (formerly worked at TA) we disabled the locking mechanism. But the bridge unit is starting to show its age. And I'm not really doing all the wang bar gymnastics I did in my GIT days. So, very long story short, I've been doing some research on what's new and improved in the world of guitars. I'm not even sure if I can do anything with this axe to bring it up to date. Will have to contact TA directly about it.

I'm really glad to see TA guitars are still popular. I've loved every one of his guitars I've met. As an aside, TA Guitars hooked my band up with some really awesome discounts for some of their units with imperfections (or concept units) when we were stuck in Holland and needed some new axes and couldn't find anything decent for under $2-3000., which we didn't have. I think we got 3 of them (sorry, forget the models) for like ~$900. each. Was a terrific hookup. Sadly I only kept my original guitar from that deal. Would have loved to keep one of the others. Anyway, quality stuff.Just saying hi in my normal verbose way. ...looking forward to delving more into these forums to learn what you guys are up to.

Cheers,

Dave

sonicparke
01-21-2004, 04:09 PM
Hi...I thought I'd answer your post to make it even.

grandamlam
01-21-2004, 04:14 PM
;) Thanks.

Stan Malinowski
01-21-2004, 04:29 PM
Sounds like you have a nice vintage Andy! Welcome back to the world of guitar playing and the wonderful world of Anderson!

grandamlam
01-21-2004, 05:31 PM
Thanks for the welcome.

Turns out mine is from 09-06-90. So I must have bought in in 90/91. Here's my serial search output:

Results for Serial Number - 09-06-90

Price - $2,088.00

Model - Grand Am Lam
Body Finish - Translucent Blue
Body Wood - Figured Maple Top on Basswood
Neck Wood - Hard Rock Maple
Neck Finish - Satin Finish
Nutwidth - 1 11/16 in
Frets - Heavy
Back Shape -
Hardware - Chrome
Bridge - Sunken Kahler Steeler
Pickguard -
Pickups - SK1R SK1 H2+
Switching -
Strings - -
Comments -

I will have to take a trip out to the store that sponsors this site some time when I have an afternoon to kill. Seems they are about 2 hours from my neck of the woods. I looked at some of the Andys they have in stock and was drooling all over my keyboard. Would love to try one or two out.

John Price
01-24-2004, 10:04 AM
Welcome Philly! I'm just North of you!!!
up in the scranton area!!! Enjoy! Enjoy!

;)