PDA

View Full Version : M's Strat-ish tones or not?

Lucidology
04-20-2006, 03:02 PM
Reading so many varied opinions on this forum? Are Anderson M's capable or incapable of producing Strat-ish type tones (albeit Fat-Strat)?

Stys
04-20-2006, 03:03 PM
Extremely capable for me.

GaryMcT
04-20-2006, 03:52 PM
I played a couple of classics with M1's and didn't think it got the strat tone very well. I would be interested in hearing a classic with M1- since they sound closer to singles to me in my Atom than the M1's did.

Janine Doubly
04-20-2006, 06:52 PM
It depends on what you require from your single coils. The M's are definitely NOT the sound of mid 50's Fender single coils w/humcancelling. They are more in line with a darker, more robust (Texas Specially, although in a WHOLE 'nuther league!) and punchier Strat tone. If you have a relatively heavy attack and can muscle thick tones out of classic single coils, the M's will not be for you. BUT, if you wish for a bigger single coil tone, and your playing style or amp can't seem to get thick tones out of classic single coils, you'll love the M's. An M1/M1/M2 set up for me is very Stratty, albeit if you prefer bigger Strat tones. I love old school single coil Strat tones but I love the M's too! They are just more aggressive and richer, while still retaining the single coil dynamic range. I think that's why I like them, the retention of the single coil dynamic range. Humbuckers compress too much for me sometimes.

olectric
04-20-2006, 07:14 PM
I would add to what Janine Doubly said that the neck/middle and middle/bridge pickup combinations with Ms aren't going to have the quacky, funky tone like a single-coil equipped guitar. Like he said, the Ms are a lot bigger sounding. I have an M1- in the neck position of my HTC, and it sounds like a really fat single coil. That thing is MEAN. In a good way. :D

GaryMcT
04-20-2006, 09:26 PM
I agree with JD and olectric.

Tremendo
04-20-2006, 09:41 PM
I've got a Cobra S with M1/M1/H2+. Although not exactly a Strat sound, close enough for me. Of course with the Cobra S, it's even more fuller and a little less quack. The middle M1 works a good rhythm, even overdriven, much better than the Strat middle pick ups I've used overdriven.

Yesterday I went to jam with some good players and brought my 2004 American Strat Deluxe Ash (S/S/S). Makes me realize how much I enjoy the M's in the middle and neck on my Cobra, the strat singles often sound thin to me now.

GaryMcT
04-22-2006, 05:51 AM
I played a couple of classics with M1's and didn't think it got the strat tone very well. I would be interested in hearing a classic with M1- since they sound closer to singles to me in my Atom than the M1's did.

I should clarify. If you are going for anything that is overdriven at all, you are likely to be able to get the sound with the M's (especially M1-). The only thing missing is the super-sparkly twin reverb thang that you get on the first and second position on a classic/strat, but I wouldn't trade the tones on my M1-/M1-/H2 Atom for anything. Actually, position 3 (neck M1- and split H2) is pretty darn sparkly and spanky, but different. Position 2 (middle M1-) is pretty close to the neck strat pickup sound, but with quite a bit more mids. I also find that if the Ms ever sound a little too thick/bassy, I can drop the volume knob just a touch. Position 5 in parallel mode (with the knob pulled) is a pretty good approximation of a bridge pickup tele sound.

If anyone has experience with an M1- in a long scale, alder Anderson, I'd be interested in hearing about it.

BFC
04-22-2006, 09:26 AM
I have the M1- in the neck and middle of my Classic with an M2 in the bridge. The M1- is closer to the vintage Strat thing than the M1. I'd say the M1- is closer to a VA2. If I turn the presence up, the mids down a hair, and add just a little bit of treble I'm perfectly happy with them. It's not dead on vintage Strat but a really nice tone for sure, a little thicker and very quiet. The feel is great too. Now, the one thing that is missing is the neck/middle Strat sound. The neck and bridge combo with the bridge split is fantastic though. I use that one a lot.

Stys
04-22-2006, 10:27 AM
I also have the m1 in the neck of my Classic and I found, compared to a neck VA, that the tone has a bouncier punch. The clarity is there. With much gain - from my Mesa F-30 or Subway, the tone is warm with a nice bit of woody tone there. My Classic is swamp ash with a rosewood board.

BFC
04-22-2006, 10:40 AM
I also have the m1 in the neck of my Classic and I found, compared to a neck VA, that the tone has a bouncier punch. The clarity is there. With much gain - from my Mesa F-30 or Subway, the tone is warm with a nice bit of woody tone there. My Classic is swamp ash with a rosewood board.

Bouncier punch is a good way to put it. The M1- has better clarity in an Alder body Classic than the M1. I could imagine the M1 being a great match for a Swamp Ash body Classic.