PDA

View Full Version : guitar gig bags

kasmit
01-21-2004, 10:49 AM
I just bought a anderson classic.... and I was wondering what is the best gig bag people recommend..

I saw something about a company called goincase...about 150.. for the slimline bag..

and something called blues ???

any way I want to know what bags are you guys/ladies using to protect your guitars....

I know the hard case is best... but I gig in NYC and use public transportation.. I use the hard case if I am driving (had a PRS neck snap off years ago: amp fell on it inside bands van) since then.. the guitar goes into the hard shell case in the van or car..:lesson learned..

thanks

KAS... :)

:)

Stan Malinowski
01-21-2004, 11:13 AM
Hi Kas,

Welcome to the forum!

I have had a variety of gig bags over the years so here's my 2 cents worth! The two companies you mention are 1) Incase and 2) Reunion Blues.

Incase has a neat design that is very durable and functional. Great pading and lots of pockets and attachments to carry arounfd the extras. They have a package deal which I think they call the "Grizzly"(?). $199 gets you the bag, add on bags for a laptop, a raincoat for the gigbag and shipping. I don't own one but a couple of my friends do and I would put it near the top of the list in gig bag quality.

Reunion Blues also makes high end gig bags that are truely professional quality. They have two variatons on the material used - nylon and leather. I have RB gig bags made form both materials. Both are well padded and provide some pockets for the extras but definetly not as much as the Incase. The nylon RB bags typically go fo about $150 while the leather bags will set you back about $400 along with a 4-5 month wait. The leather RB bags are expensive but the quality components and workmanship will last a LIFETIME! Paul Reed Smith carries his personal Dragon around in a leather RB gig bag - on planes, thru airports, etc. I have spoken to him personally and he says the bag is about 5-6 years old and has gone pretty much around the world with him.

My personal opinion - if you are going to stay with nylon get the Incase. A little bit more than the Nylon RB but has a lot more storage space and features. The leather RB is meant to last and to be quite honest is a bit of a status symbol.

kasmit
01-21-2004, 11:27 AM
My instinct told me to go for the incase.... I just wanted to see what other people are using.. before I ordered...

ps.. I just got the peterson V2 tuner..yesterday . after reading about it on this site... to tell you the truth I never heard of peterson until yesterday...thanks for all the info.. and the speedy Post...

PS.. my back willl thank you :)

KAS

NYC...

SteveK
01-21-2004, 06:00 PM
Levy's also make a great gig bag. Well padded with a couple of nice pockets. Just before the holidays I picked up a new Levy's leather gig bag on sale at GC for $139!!!!!!!! :D Don't know if they're still on sale though.

John Price
01-22-2004, 10:59 PM
I have the Incase tour bag and absolutely love this thing!
Best protection I've seen for a gig bag plus enough pockets to store my goodies in....

You will not be disapointed with this gig bag!
It fits both my Cobra and Hollow Drop Top perfectly!!!

The shipping packaging is pretty cool too!!!

good luck!!!

sonicparke
01-22-2004, 11:07 PM
Is the incase bag very heavy? It seems like it would be way heavier than most gig bags. Not as heavy as a hard case but still pretty heavy.

Casper
01-23-2004, 06:47 AM
How interesting?! I just happened to check into the Goincase website yesterday after seeing an ad in GP.
I travel quite a bit myself, I carry my Droptop and my classic in a double gig bag (don't know the name), and its pretty well padded with decent storage. I paid about $100.00 for it a couple of years ago...but I'm sure it isn't as nice as the goincase.

I am starting to believe the nasty chip I got on my new droptop came from leaving the zippers on the bottom and not bringing them, up towards the neck. (guitars got bumped on the ground I assume). I like the frame of the goincase (plus the other goodies). I plan on ordering one next week. I'll post a review for youse guys.
When the band flys, I have taken my classic in a single bag and the stewardess let me put it in the closet, but I have learned that some airlines won't let you do that, so after that, I just do the hard case and duct tape the hell out of it..
January is such a bad month for working musicians and here I am window shopping!...Stan sends me the Stew-Mac site and now I find the goincase site...and all this talk about people getting new Cobras and Droptops and DR Z amps.....Oyyy! Where do you people get this incredible bread!! Turn me on to the gig!!
Shaun
;) :D

John Price
01-24-2004, 10:38 PM
On it's own the incase is very comfortable, but if you start adding goodies into the pouches then it can get heavy!
They do have a new case that doesn't have the big back pack! that one I imagine is a little lighter...... the protection is what really amazes me...

kasmit
01-25-2004, 03:09 PM
My new gig bag will be here Friday... so I will post what I think...obout it next SAT-31

I ordered the goincase slim bag... because i dont like to carry around extra stuff in my gig bag....I usually keep my guitar with me at all times..on gigs..even when I am walking around the club.. unless my lady is holding my guitar...and she know from experience... what can happen.....someone walking out with my amp is not as easy a someone walking out with my guitar...even if you tell people to watch your gear...so I learned to keep it close... just like a laptop computer.. all guitar cases look similar in the dark ;)

so i will post next week

John Price
01-25-2004, 05:53 PM
Look for the big tour case on the porch!
The packaging is real cool!!!!!!

Hope you like it!! I have no regrets.........

:cool:

Stan Malinowski
01-30-2004, 12:11 PM
I thought GAS was only relevant to guitars, amps and pedals - I now find my self gassing for an Incase gig bag - where does it ALL stop?!!!:D :D

kasmit
01-30-2004, 06:24 PM
Well the Box is Huge...my 5ft 2 lady can fit inside the box....don't ask.. she wanted to see if she could fit inside it...but it gives me some new ideas the next time she messes with my guitars.....

The bag is thick..but streamline.. my classic fits inside perfectly...

the zippers are sturdy and strong.. the padding is the best i have encountered.. and I can hang my guitar in the closet on the included hook that fits over the door (top) my prs fits inside also.. the straps are really strong and spread the weight evenly when standing.. and it has a handle.. near the top head stock that makes it easy to carry on the train when you have to use one hand to hold on..to the hand rail..

It's.great for rush hour... when you have to put you guitar in front of you to protect is from someone falling on it...

so far its the best money i have spent on a case..and one less thing to worry about...

if you spend 4,000 on a guitar the least you could do is protect it
with 150.00..

PS , they include a rain jacket and a hat.. but who cares about that :)

later

Kas

Stan Malinowski
01-30-2004, 06:35 PM
Kas,

What do you think of the "gear pocket"? The Slimbag you bought does not have the detachable laptop pocket found on the Tourbag. I'm thinking one of my uses would be to take one of my guitars to work for lunchtime practice. This means I would need to store (in the gear pocket) a palm pilot, IPOD player, a small personal recorder like my Korg PXR4 and some light paperwork. For gigging take away the palm pilot, IPOD player, paerwork and substitute in a couple of pedlas, some cords and some extra strings. Do you think the slimbag would be enough or is the additional space in the Tourbag worth the extra $50?

Stan

John Price
01-30-2004, 07:56 PM
Stan,
Looks like your going to need the Tour Bag! that's what I have and it will fit anything inside!! even the kitchen sink!!!

:D

kasmit
02-01-2004, 04:34 PM
go with the tour bag if you carry a lot of gear...the pockest on the slim bag are just big enough to carry strings..tuner..strap and a couple of cables..and the trem bar...So if you need to carry a lot of stuff... Get the Tour Bag... For me the Slim bag was the best choice....

I use a line6 flex 2 or the POD... so I just carry the footboard and pod for rehersal... I don't like to carry anything in my gig bag other than the strap..strings..tuner,,, and two good cables....everthing else goes into a small line6 floorboard bag..

we reherse in a studio...so all I have to bring is my POD....(small bag)

when we do a live show.. I bring my amp..usually in a car.. and just my guitar.. my flextone+ floorboard..

My Flextone is programmed with the same sounds.... so what you buy depends on your needs.. All I can say is ,,if you have a lot of stuff then get the 199. tour bag..you can not lose...

;)

goincase makes great Bags! at a great price...

later..