PDA

View Full Version : Questions on String Spacing

wreckfan
03-12-2006, 08:58 PM
A couple of questions on string spacing.

1. Are the string spacings the same on all of the 1-11/16th necks the same regardless of the bridge type? (fixed vs. vintage trem)

2. Can we replace the 1-11/16 bridge (fixed) with a 1-5/8 bridge and nut for closer string spacing and less fret "fall-off" - or does the tuner spacing and straight-pull make it not a good option.

3. It may be an old "wives-tale" but I had heard that the older Andersons had 1-11/16th necks with 1-5/8th string spacing which was part of the reason they play so well ???

4. This will be helpful in deciding how to order my Cobra and I would like to make my Hollow-T-Classic a lot faster than it is !! My maple neck Drop-Top-Classic is WAY faster than my Maple rosewood HTC....so I am tying to decide whether it would be best to try and respace it or order a new maple neck for it.......

tom
03-13-2006, 01:38 PM
ok
string spacing for the non trem, trem and wrap around is 2.06" center to center on the E's. floyds are a slightly wider 2.125". this is for all necks.
the nut width is different though. we use the same R2(1 5/8") nut on all floyd guitars as the r3(1 11/16"), is wider than we would like.
on our guitars with cut nuts, the 1 5/8" neck gets te same 1.35" spacing as the floyd. the 1 11/16" neck gets a slightly wider 1.39" spacing.
this has not changed, but more of the older andersons had floyds.
you could get a 1 5/8 spaced nut on a 1 11/6" neck if you asked.
"faster" needs a little attention. ther are many factors that would contribute, neck bow, action height, fret size, nut height, and neck material. i would make sure all other factors are the same before you go changing a neck.

wreckfan
03-13-2006, 10:20 PM
Tom - Thanks for the great explanation - I'll try the 1-5/8th nut !!